Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Not the garden as its a house plant but I'm hoping I can get some advice from green fingered people

I saw this in the garden centre and couldn't help myself. Reduced all the way down to £1. It's already lived a life. Can I.. "save" it? Not sure what I expect it to do, maybe not just die would be good. Its on the windowsill and i put a support in for the stem but not sure of I should

View attachment 375439

I mean look! How could you not take pity on it
If it's just gone floppy from a brief period of being underwatering it'll probably bounce back, they can be fussy though. You'd need to have a look at the roots to see if it's more fucked (plus check leaves including undersides for pests) - looks like it's in coir so personally I'd be repotting anyway as standard.

Not the garden as its a house plant but I'm hoping I can get some advice from green fingered people

I saw this in the garden centre and couldn't help myself. Reduced all the way down to £1. It's already lived a life. Can I.. "save" it? Not sure what I expect it to do, maybe not just die would be good. Its on the windowsill and i put a support in for the stem but not sure of I should

View attachment 375439

I mean look! How could you not take pity on it
Alocasia? I got a nice one from IKEA. It's almost totally dead 😂 wanna buy it off me for £1?!

Apparently they do not like too much water and can easily get root root. It might not like direct sunlight.

I love semi dead plants though. One garden centre near me always has some. I can't say I've had loads of success but I like trying.

If it's just gone floppy from a brief period of being underwatering it'll probably bounce back, they can be fussy though. You'd need to have a look at the roots to see if it's more fucked (plus check leaves including undersides for pests) - looks like it's in coir so personally I'd be repotting anyway as standard.

OK thank you I will, what should I be potting it in? Also minor point but it's just "leaf" atm 😂

Alocasia? I got a nice one from IKEA. It's almost totally dead 😂 wanna buy it off me for £1?!

Apparently they do not like too much water and can easily get root root. It might not like direct sunlight.

I love semi dead plants though. One garden centre near me always has some. I can't say I've had loads of success but I like trying.

Yes that's it Alocasia. Apparently it likes 'bright places but not direct sunshine' how fussy can you get!!

OK thank you I will, what should I be potting it in? Also minor point but it's just "leaf" atm 😂

Yes that's it Alocasia. Apparently it likes 'bright places but not direct sunshine' how fussy can you get!!
😂

Yeah they are fussy dicks tbh.

I make my own potting mixes - about two thirds orchid bark to one third chunky/woody compost mixed in if possible (not claggy cheap peat-based stuff and nothing with ingredients added "for moisture retention") and maybe a bit of perlite would be your best starting point if you want to do the same, or you can probably buy premade special alocasia mixes online for about the same money if you only want enough for one plant. If you want to just buy a bag of something then I'd go with orchid bark but one of the earthier-textured brands if possible, Miracle Gro is better than Westland for this iirc.

We have dragonflies (4 at last count), hedgehogs, noisy squirrels, some sort of dove, rats (urgh but fields so), slow worms, frogs of many colours, or toads idk, pigeons, seaguls (my dog hates them 40ft up?) Few pheasants who are idiots.all kinds of insects too.

Came back after a few days away and something has eaten all my peas. The bastards! I think the wood pigeons are the culprits. If I catch them I'll be eating them.

And something has destroyed my little garlic patch. I've only three left! Bastards!

yes I think the mice had my pea seedlings. I've put some more in and now have six which I'm planting indoors to (hopefully) avoid little bastard mice. A couple of months I pre-ordered some more pea plug plants which arrived the other day so I now have another six which I'm also planting indoors. Am severely hopeful of getting fresh peas this year which will the first time I've tasted them for a good 20 years :thumbs:

I find the mice eat the pea seeds, but it's the sparrows and bean weevils who nip and nibble the pea seedlings.

Spent yesterday digging out a bed and picking out stones & dobey clay. Two carloads of the stuff went to the recycling plant.
My whole body can barely move today. And there are still stones to pick.
Also lots of that bindweed. Sick of pulling it off/out. It's so hard to get rid of

Just had a lovely video message from one of my now-ex gardening customers with a wildflower meadow update. It was already great - I've posted pics in the lawn mowing maniacs thread in previous years - but I sowed yellow rattle and a load of other stuff last autumn and iirc they were sceptical at the time about my methods (scuff, broadcast, stamp :thumbs:), they definitely said in the message that they'd given up hope of it doing much, and now it's looking brilliant.

My refugee trees are doing great too. The pear that got dug up from a neighbour's allotment and left in a bucket behind my shed for months :oops: before I eventually planted it in that same work garden is already chucking out enough fruit to need a serious thinning, and the philadelphus (yeah I know but refugee shrub doesn't rhyme) I put in at the station looked happy when I was there yesterday.

Really love coming back to plants after time away and finding them thriving, and especially hearing about the joy and pride they've brought other people.

Anyone have a clue what may be going on with my newly planted apple tree?
Its leaves are curling in and everything I've googled suggests aphids but there isn't any sight of them. Could it been the sun?
I'm worried it's going to die. :(

Anyone have a clue what may be going on with my newly planted apple tree?
Its leaves are curling in and everything I've googled suggests aphids but there isn't any sight of them. Could it been the sun?
I'm worried it's going to die. :(
Aphids would still be my first guess tbh. They might be hiding under/inside the leaves right where they're curled tightest. Have you seen any ants going up and down the trunk?

Can you take a close up picture of the leaves, both how they look at first glance and then uncurled and the undersides?

I haven't seen any ants in the trunk. The leaves aren't tightly curled, more just curling up at the edges.

I'll go out and take some photos.

Back
Top Bottom