Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Is anyone else plagued by urban foxes ?
My new young neighbour is having a go at growing veggies so spread a pallet-load of compost on top of the grotty lawn, then put what looks like landscape fabric on top...

:(

rudeawake.jpg

Decided to look for a local tool hire cooperative. I live quite near Totnes so there must be one nearby.

I need to use a strimmer and a hedge trimmer over the next few months but potentially won’t need to use the strimmer ever again. Hedge trimmer annually maybe.

Has anyone got experience of using these? My main aim is to not have to own and store things I rarely use plus avoid the capital outlay.

Decided to look for a local tool hire cooperative. I live quite near Totnes so there must be one nearby.

I need to use a strimmer and a hedge trimmer over the next few months but potentially won’t need to use the strimmer ever again. Hedge trimmer annually maybe.

Has anyone got experience of using these? My main aim is to not have to own and store things I rarely use plus avoid the capital outlay.

I use strimmers and hedgecutters professionally.

What is your garden like and what will you be cutting?

I use strimmers and hedgecutters professionally.

What is your garden like and what will you be cutting?
Small. Mainly grass at the front - around 10m x 3m and sloping. Grass at the front hasn’t been cut in the year I have lived here and is around 12 inches long in places.

There is a hedge - perhaps a conifer - which is growing across from next door and needs a fairly heavy cut back by around 50cm or so as it has grown across the front path. Also not cut since I have lived here and around 4 metres high / 4 metres long

Small. Mainly grass at the front - around 10m x 3m and sloping. Grass at the front hasn’t been cut in the year I have lived here and is around 12 inches long in places.

There is a hedge - perhaps a conifer - which is growing across from next door and needs a fairly heavy cut back by around 50cm or so as it has grown across the front path. Also not cut since I have lived here and around 4 metres high / 4 metres long
sounds like you will need professional grade machines for those jobs, but hiring or borrowing might be your best option.

I'll post some links to the sort of thing I'd recommend later...

sounds like you will need professional grade machines for those jobs, but hiring or borrowing might be your best option.

I'll post some links to the sort of thing I'd recommend later...

It sounds like both the grass and the hedge are quite overgrown and cutting them back will be quite a job

We use Stihl machinery at work, and these machines (or similar) should be adequate for what you need

FS 131 Petrol Brushcutter

HL 94 C-E Petrol Long-reach Hedge Trimmer

There are battery powered versions available, but in my experience they are significantly less powerful.

Once you've got the grass and the hedge back to something more manageable, you won't need such powerful machines to keep them maintained, provided you do it regularly

After removing my onions sets due to onion fly I was left with a spare bed so I’ve decided to have a little experiment and stick some maincrop potatoes in. I know it’s considered a bit late for planting potatoes but I saw these this morning in Wilko for 15p and couldn’t resist.

Attachments

• IMG_20230610_101647_3.jpg
    IMG_20230610_101647_3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
After removing my onions sets due to onion fly I was left with a spare bed so I’ve decided to have a little experiment and stick some maincrop potatoes in. I know it’s considered a bit late for planting potatoes but I saw these this morning in Wilko for 15p and couldn’t resist.
The only issue you might possibly have , aside from blight which is always a risk, is an early frost in October but otherwise, they should be fine

A few pics from yesterday. Carefully cropped because the rest of the garden's a complete jungle.

Onions are coming along nicely (the shoots are a bit damaged because I left the fleece on for too long :facepalm:):
Onions 10 June 23.jpg
Radishes nearly ready to harvest:
Radishes 'Rudi' 10 June 23 - Edited.jpg
The trusty gaillardia's just come into bloom:
Gaillardia 10 June 23.jpg
:)

Back
Top Bottom