Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Dominic Cummings file

I too, am concerned by all these Cummings and goings.

Ah, one of the best jokes of 1888.

Another ring at the bell; it was Gowing, who said he “must apologise for coming so often, and that one of these days we must come round to him.” I said: “A very extraordinary thing has struck me.” “Something funny, as usual,” said Cummings. “Yes,” I replied; “I think even you will say so this time. It’s concerning you both; for doesn’t it seem odd that Gowing’s always coming and Cummings’ always going?” Carrie, who had evidently quite forgotten about the bath, went into fits of laughter, and as for myself, I fairly doubled up in my chair, till it cracked beneath me. I think this was one of the best jokes I have ever made.

Then imagine my astonishment on perceiving both Cummings and Gowing perfectly silent, and without a smile on their faces. After rather an unpleasant pause, Cummings, who had opened a cigar-case, closed it up again and said: “Yes—I think, after that, I shall be going, and I am sorry I fail to see the fun of your jokes.” Gowing said he didn’t mind a joke when it wasn’t rude, but a pun on a name, to his thinking, was certainly a little wanting in good taste. Cummings followed it up by saying, if it had been said by anyone else but myself, he shouldn’t have entered the house again. This rather unpleasantly terminated what might have been a cheerful evening. However, it was as well they went, for the charwoman had finished up the remains of the cold pork.

From the Diary of a Nobody, a good book with which to escape the miseries of lockdown.

The Diary of a Nobody, by George and Weedon Grossmith

Adapted for TV by Ken Russell

And there is a second ticking time bomb, say ministers. They fear a member of the public may file a complaint to Durham police alleging Cummings broke the Health Protection Regulations - which the police would be obliged to investigate.

This is not to presume Cummings's guilt. He is completely clear he did not break the law. But a criminal investigation would be another embarrassment.

ITV

Surely someone will now? :D

Given how surreal their response to all this has been so far, not sure it can be ruled out that they will try to see if they can get away with pretending to tell him off.

if he goes, he will probably just be hidden in an office somewhere

Don't really give a fuck. He has become the story so he has to go. I think we are really fucked . We are having 3 thousand cases a day and we are relaxing the lockdown in an unworkable way having not put adequate precautions in place and a 'new normal' that is utterly confused. All this has done is make a 2nd spike inevitable.

_112422078_mirror.jpg

_112428758_sunday-people.jpg

_112428757_sunday-mirror.jpg

At least he didn't go out to visit a tailor.

Meanwhile:

Steve Baker, Conservative MP for Wycombe and a former chairman of the European Research Group: "Boris: take back control"

It'll be the candidate that's prepared to tough it out over No-Deal, bend over for Trump, ditch the Commie phone stuff and tear up that Labour budget.

Depends, during the 'Raab period' ended up with the impression only thing that actually got done was work on the lunacy of extending the Brexit transition.

It'll be the candidate that's prepared to tough it out over No-Deal, bend over for Trump, ditch the Commie phone stuff and tear up that Labour budget.

That's certainly what the ERG loons want, but I'm not convinced they think pushing Johnson out is the way to get it. Not yet anyway. This is about controlling the king, not deposing him...

That's certainly what the ERG loons want, but I'm not convinced they think pushing Johnson out is the way to get it. Not yet anyway. This is about controlling the king, not deposing him...
Maybe, but it's obvious that many of them think Johnson's use is over.

Back
Top Bottom