Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Brexit process

Hoorah for democracy!

european-union-eu-flag-waving-gif-animation-4.gif

I bet the hedge fund managers and coalition of extremely wealthy ex-pats behind this weren't that bothered about the operation of govt prerogative when it was being used to tear down communities, attack social spending and bolster tax-avoidance etc to their personal benefit. But who knows eh?

Last edited:
I bet the investment bankers and coalition of extremely wealthy ex-pats behind this weren't that bothered about the operation of govt prerogative when it was being used to tear down communities, attack social spending and bolster tax-avoidance etc to their personal benefit. But who knows eh?

Such a fucking cynic :rolleyes:

Any cunt MP who votes against the 'will of the people' must surely have his or her head spiked up on a bridge. Fuck, I'd even chip in for the Garden Bridge so we have somewhere new to do it.

I bet the investment bankers and coalition of extremely wealthy ex-pats behind this weren't that bothered about the operation of govt prerogative when it was being used to tear down communities, attack social spending and bolster tax-avoidance etc to their personal benefit. But who knows eh?
But for MPs...

upload_2016-11-3_10-23-17.png

Would it be peak Brexit if the leave campaign successfully challenges the High Court decision in Europe?

Any cunt MP who votes against the 'will of the people' must surely have his or her head spiked up on a bridge. Fuck, I'd even chip in for the Garden Bridge so we have somewhere new to do it.
I expect it will come to a vote (appeals, if any, will fail).
All eyes on the tories... Good reason to believe there are enough of them who really don't want Brexit, no matter what they say in public. Id expect sicknotes a plenty on the day of the vote.

Would it be a free vote or whipped, I wonder? Does that whipping really make much of a difference?

This is an attempt by the govt to use the royal prerogative to bypass parliament, something govts are able to do a great deal in the UK system, giving the prime minister of the day huge powers. But they're trying to have things both ways - we must be allowed to do this without parliamentary scrutiny because referendum, but oh, we're not doing it until the end of next March, because narrow political calculation. If the govt is so worried about the referendum mandate, why did they not trigger a50 immediately? Why are they waiting the best part of a year to do it?

I expect it will come to a vote (appeals, if any, will fail).
All eyes on the tories... Good reason to believe there are enough of them who really don't want Brexit, no matter what they say in public. Id expect sicknotes a plenty on the day of the vote.

Would it be a free vote or whipped, I wonder? Does that whipping really make much of a difference?

Whipping makes all the difference, a three line whip and you must come in and vote the right way even if in a coma, failure to do so means losing the whip = booted out of the party.

Whipping makes all the difference, a three line whip and you must come in and vote the right way even if in a coma, failure to do so means losing the whip = booted out of the party.
If you defy the whip are you guaranteed the boot? I feel like people do defy it, and I can't remember a case of someone getting booted? Maybe I'm not paying attention

If you defy the whip are you guaranteed the boot? I feel like people do defy it, and I can't remember a case of someone getting booted? Maybe I'm not paying attention
It's a potential mess. I don't see how they can whip it, tbh. Many tory MPs (and labour for that matter) can legitimately say that they are personally opposed to brexit, and have a record showing as much, that so is the majority in their constituency, and that they campaigned in the last election on that basis.

Also, if they are presented with anything more sophisticated than 'in/out, yes/no', they can legitimately say that it is their job to scrutinise that and then be held accountable for their decision after that scrutiny. That's what a parliament is supposed to be for.

A bunch of labour MPs defied one the other day in a dig at Corbyn more than anything, nothing happened.

Back in the real world, yes it is likely you'd be out of the party and for a chinless wonder like Jeremy Hunt, for example, that would mean losing your seat at the next election. So most won't go near that except on a point of massive principal that they can't back out of.

Clappers - a question for (some of) you:

Do you imagine that you'd argue the same way about the supremacy of parliament if say the referendum was on the taking of the railways into public ownership - same result (yes winning) and same 75% opposed in parliament. If you answer yes, that it's up to the (opposed) parliament to decide, then fair enough, you're arguing on the principle you say you are. If no, then not. You're just cheering political top-down moves to block an action that you don't personally support.

Last edited:
Clappers - a question for (some of) you:

Do you imagine that you'd argue the same way about the supremacy of parliament if say the referendum was on the taking of the railways into public ownership - same result (yes winning) and same 75% opposed parliament. If you answer yes, that it's up to the (opposed) parliament to decide, then fair enough, you're arguing on the principle you say you are. If no, then not. You're just cheering political top-down moves to block an action that you don't personally support.
it seems to me that parliament had to be involved in this process and the moves to bypass it were, in constitutional terms (as far as that ever applies) illegitimate. by trying to bypass parliament, the government were in effect suggesting a rough ride might be had and it might be impossible to get through. in a way this attempt to bypass them may encourage those opposed to departure.

It's a potential mess. I don't see how they can whip it, tbh. Many tory MPs (and labour for that matter) can legitimately say that they are personally opposed to brexit, and have a record showing as much, that so is the majority in their constituency, and that they campaigned in the last election on that basis.

Also, if they are presented with anything more sophisticated than 'in/out, yes/no', they can legitimately say that it is their job to scrutinise that and then be held accountable for their decision after that scrutiny. That's what a parliament is supposed to be for.

The question needs to be: "Do you support the result of the referendum: YES/NO ?" Through the no door lies the guillotine.

Back
Top Bottom