Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Brexit process

Did anyone ever figure out what kind of variation there might be between the vote and a constituency-based FPTP version?

For bonus Brexit points, what the boundary changes do to that

Well that's one of the contradictions, isn't it? The referendum voted 'out', but with no detail about how it would happen or the consequences of the various options. Whichever particular version of brexit the govt comes up with, it would not be democratic for them to be able to force it through using the referendum as justification.

That's all a referendum (any referendum) can be. You could have attempted to argue that parliament (or even the electorate) have some input into the content and/or result of the negotiations*, but it's ridiculous to argue against taking the first actual step towards exit (ie invoking Art 50) on the basis that it wouldn't be democratic.

The country voted to leave the European Union in a referendum approved by Act of Parliament. If parliament now votes against even starting the process of leaving, it won't be a victory for any sort of democracy, more a demonstration that what purports to be a democracy is closer to an elective dictatorship.

*of course, the EU's own rules don't allow for that, but that's another example of the anti-democratic nature of the EU

It's a pretty big majority.

Close enough, though, so you might reasonably think it could have been different if the vote had been a week earlier or a week later, or if 16-17 year-olds, longtime expats etc had been allowed to vote. It's the luck of the draw as much as the will of people.

The legal argument that was used to get this result was that May "unlawfully intended to by-pass parliamentary scrutiny while taking irreversible steps to remove statutory rights granted to UK citizens under the European Communities Act 1972, which made EU law part of UK law" . So the ruling was made purportedly to protect citizens rights? What a tangled web.

The legal argument that was used to get this result was that May "unlawfully intended to by-pass parliamentary scrutiny while taking irreversible steps to remove statutory rights granted to UK citizens under the European Communities Act 1972, which made EU law part of UK law" . So the ruling was made purportedly to protect citizens rights? What a tangled web.
no, the ruling was apparently consistent with the law. if it has the effect of protecting people's rights it is a happy coincidence.

That's all a referendum (any referendum) can be.
This isn't really true. In the Swiss system, rather specific issues get put to the vote - the establishment of a minimum citizen's wage, for instance, for which the exact level of the proposed wage was presented in the referendum.

Close enough, though, so you might reasonably think it could have been different if the vote had been a week earlier or a week later, or if 16-17 year-olds, longtime expats etc had been allowed to vote. It's the luck of the draw as much as the will of people.
Well if you accept this then I guess there is no pointing ever putting anything to a vote.

If you put things to a vote then you have to accept that the result isn't always going to coincide with your personal opinion.

Well if you accept this then I guess there is no pointing ever putting anything to a vote.

If you put things to a vote then you have to accept that the result isn't always going to coincide with your personal opinion.
can you give an example of when the result of a vote has coincided with your personal opinion?

can you give an example of when the result of a vote has coincided with your personal opinion?
people who I've voted for in elections have sometimes got elected. Not that I necessarily agree with 100% of what they stood for, but the election was just for them to get in, and they did get in. I'm not sure if that's what you mean?

for fucks sake

Tory MP calls for BBC 1 to mark Brexit with national anthem at the end of each day

"
Conservative MP is calling for BBC 1 to restore the tradition of playing the national anthem at the end of each day’s programmes, in honour of Brexit.
Andrew Rosindell, the MP for Romford, said the BBC should be "unashamedly British" and celebrate the UK's exit from the EU with a clear statement that "Britain is back."
He has tabled an early day motion this morning calling for the anthem to be played before the switch over to BBC News 24.
It is the Tory MP's second attempt to restore the practice in Parliament, since it was scrapped in 1997. "

severed head on a stick front runner right there

I'm not sure about that, but the Hedge Fund Manager and her supporters who bought the case clearly agree.

people who I've voted for in elections have sometimes got elected. Not that I necessarily agree with 100% of what they stood for, but the election was just for them to get in, and they did get in. I'm not sure if that's what you mean?
so it has almost coincided but not quite

This isn't really true. In the Swiss system, rather specific issues get put to the vote - the establishment of a minimum citizen's wage, for instance, for which the exact level of the proposed wage was presented in the referendum.

But not, as you claimed, any chance to comment on the detail other than straight yes/no or, even more ridiculously, the consequences of the decision. How is it possible to predict exactly what the consequences of any decision might be, in one year, five years, fifty years?

Again, it's the EU rules themselves which mean that whoever makes the decision to leave, parliament, the whole electorate or some other group/body, Article 50 has to be invoked before any formal negotiations begin, and once it's invoked, there's no provision for uninvoking it, so it's impossible for anyone to know in any detail what they're voting for and Stay/Leave was all the choice could ever be given as.

True, although, in this particular case, I didn't put anything to a vote.

But the point raised above what about the size of the referendum result and, objectively, it wasn't a thumping victory.

Exactly how egregious it would be to not respect the result is related to the size of the margin of victory, surely?

Add in those who didn't vote and it's anything but an overwhelming mandate for Brexit. The whole referendum was insane.
I agree with the second part... but not the first. It is just the nature of voting that people can choose not to vote.

Back
Top Bottom