Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 'abolition of Parliament bill': New Labour's madness - the law-is-an-assylum

MatthewCuffe said:
Victory is assured. Fela Fan is totally right. Hubris is always cut down by the fates. President Blair has been a totalitarian from 1997 on - but it is in 2006 that the poison is becoming fully VISIBLE.

You do know that Fela sits in his house in Thailand tells us all how we are going to be in some kind of dicatorish state this time next week.

Yep, this is a worrying Bill, but perhaps getting more useful sources than the Mirror and Mr Fan first...?

Lock&Light said:
I don't know about Burton's cards, but my ID card does looks a bit like a store card. And is, in opinion, just as innocuous.
And some other similarities are that they'll probably end up costing you hundreds of pounds in the long run and do nothing to prevent terrorism.

When you write to an MP, why not let us know who it is and keep us posted on their replies? If their replies are substandard, it's time for we - the citizens who pay their wages - to three line 'em.

Magneze said:
I asked earlier ... what's the proposed justification for this? Does anyone know?
Judging by the introduction, I suspect it is the result of a long history of frustration where changes to legislation suggested by the Law Commission and supported by all parties take years and years to actually make it into law because of delays in passing primary legislation. In relation to the Sexual Offences Act 2003 for instance it took about ten years of trying before effectively discriminatory sexual offences (on the basis of gender) were updated to a more appropriate format.

There appear to be wide ranging restraints on the use of the power, some of which (but not all) have been summarised by earlier posters.

I would suggest that the main concern should be whether or not the Bill as it stands provides any loophole allowing for unintended consequences later. The limitations appear to be pretty stringent in restricting the power to pretty minor matters but it would need far, far more consideration than I have time to give it to be sure.

Even if the Bill is OK in principle it certainly needs extensive scrutiny, debate and consideration. But to dismiss it out of hand is, I believe, a bit premature.

detective-boy said:
There appear to be wide ranging restraints on the use of the power, some of which (but not all) have been summarised by earlier posters.

But as I read it (admittedly late, a couple of nights ago) all the safeguards are expressed in the form "if the Minister is satisfied..."

Which means it could take 7-10 years to put right anything where the Minister was satisfied but wrong. High Court or Crown Court where it was a crimial matter, Court of Appeal, House of Lords, da capo, eventually Strasbourg...

Are you aware of any plans to "modernise" the wording of legislation, like those I inferred from the Bill?

The only really valid purpose for this proposed legislation is to allow reforms and codifications proposed by the various Law Commissions to be put into place. I would argue that where even Law Commission proposals involve significant changes these should be subject to full Parliamentary scrutiny.

But I do think that those of us who hold firm views on this point need to act like grown ups. Laptop and Detective-Boy have pointed out some of the practical grounds for concern.

Matthew - I already suggested that before you do anything else, you should go and see your MP and talk to him or her, and listen to her or his point of view. But you need to get a grip - right now you come across like someone who uses the verbal equivalent of green ink. Nae offence, like.

And that goes for the rest of us. Go and talk to your local MPs at their surgeries this coming weekend, and post the outcome of your conversations afterwards.

LISTEN. YOU DON'T LISTEN TO A WORD I SAY BECAUSE I AM NOT FAMOUS. BUT I AM HERE TO WARN YOU AND YOU BETTER LISTEN.

UNLESS WE MAKE PEACE WITH IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN, IRAN AND ISLAM NOW, PULL OUR TROOPS OUT, MAKE A NEW GOVERNMENT, GET A FIRST-RATE PRIME MINISTER INSTEAD OF CLIFF RICHARD, WE WILL BE EATING AND KILLING EACH OTHER IN 20 YEARS.

VERY LITTLE IS BEING DONE BY THIS GOVERNMENT ON THE ENVIRONMENT, JUST AS VERY LITTLE IS BEING DONE BY THIS GOVERNMENT ON ANYTHING.

THEY WANT A 50 YEAR WAR WITH ISLAM WHEN WHAT WE NEED TO DO IS SECURE OUR WATER AND FOOD SUPPLIES.

DON'T TELL ME TO GET A GRIP. DO SO IF YOU WANT, BUT AS BENJAMIN DISRAELI SAID - YOU DON'T LISTEN TO ME NOW, BUT ONE DAY YOU WILL.

GO AWAY AND LISTEN TO GEORGE MONBIOT'S WORDS FROM THE DEC 3RD CLIMATE CHANGE MARCH IN LONDON - http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/london/2005/12/329436.html

THEN READ THIS - HTTP://BLAIRWITCH.TYPEPAD.COM

THEN GO AND STUDY AND THEN GO AND GET ACTIVE

AND TAKE WAR CRIMINAL BLAIR TO THE HIGH COURT

AND STOP BICKERING WITH EACH OTHER, AND SQUABBLING, AND DOUBTING, AND WEARING YOUR LITTLE BADGES THAT SAY "I'M RESPECT" AND "I'M IWCA" AND ARGUING OVER THESE PETTY LITTLE DIFFERENCES

STOP WATCHING CELEBRITY IDIOTS ON TV

TIME IS RUNNING OUT

IN 10 YEARS YOU WILL BE LISTENING, TRUST ME. IF THERE IS ENOUGH WATER LEFT THEN, THAT IS.

THIS IS NOT BUSINESS AS USUAL.

SUBSTANCE MUST OVERPOWER HYPE 2006.

SOLIDARITY IN THE UK.

I Speak To My Mp Every Week, By The Way. And Not Just My Mp Either, But Mps From Different Parties.

Some Of Them Have The Common Courtesy To Listen.

Look At The History Of Easter Island.

Those Big Statues They Had Were Nothing On The Twin Towers.

We Have Taken Too Much From This Planet.

Unity Is The Only Way To Save Mass Genocide.

Stop Squabbling Like Little Children And Make A Movement.

MatthewCuffe said:
I Speak To My Mp Every Week, By The Way. And Not Just My Mp Either, But Mps From Different Parties. Some Of Them Have The Common Courtesy To Listen.
Sorry, Matthew - I didn't realise. Nae offence, like, and I hope none taken. :D

Matthew, please stop being such an arse. I think most people get the point. Pissing them off isn't going to help your campaign.

I'm not offended by anyone. And I'm not here to be an arsehole. I am just here to tell the truth.

We have a mountain to climb on the environment and we cannot do it if we are making war. We need Blair into the High Court, we need the troops home, and then we need to be honest about what the hell we are going to do to allow as many of us to survive as possible in the forthcoming decades.

Please, be active. Just be active. Speak your mind. And don't doubt that you can make a change. You can. You must. Blair out is only the start.

Read what James Lovelock is saying. It could be too late already. I'm not sure. I think there is a small corridor of time left. Not much.

This government has been USELESS on the environment. If it survives till 2010, WE WON'T.

As Spike Milligan used to sign off his letters - Peace, Love, Light.

He realised the way things were going: if you're not on TV, nobody listens to you. The people on TV talk crap about things that don't matter.

WHAT IS TO BE DONE?

Yeah, you're starting to sound a little.... Frothed shall we say.
Your point is made - we agree with you.

MatthewCuffe said:
I'm not offended by anyone. And I'm not here to be an arsehole. I am just here to tell the truth.

This government has been USELESS on the environment. If it survives till 2010, WE WON'T.

As Spike Milligan used to sign off his letters - Peace, Love, Light.

He realised the way things were going: if you're not on TV, nobody listens to you. The people on TV talk crap about things that don't matter.

WHAT IS TO BE DONE?

Are You Related To The Guy With The MegaPhone On Oxford Street...?

Isn't Spike Milligan That Comic Who Poked Fun At Serious Pompus. People.

!!!LOOK MY CAPS KEY WORKS AS WELL...! YOU ARE RIGHT WE NEED TO THINK ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT!!!!

Good. I'm glad. Apologies for being so crazy - I'm tired of preaching to the converted while the opinions of idiots like Posh Spice get listened to.

Thinking, though...it's not enough, is it?

I'm not trying to tell you I know what to do - beyond removing Blair from power this year, getting a new government, making peace, pulling the hunger-strikers out of GBay, nationalising water, and leading the world in multilateral nuclear disarmament.

So. How do we go about preaching to the uncoverted?

WHAT IS TO BE DONE?

Now play nice, boys and girls. Matthew's got us talking about something important. And he's managed to bring the Easter Island heads into the debate, which I think is an achievement all on its own. :D :p ;)

Did You Know There is A New Bill Being Put Through Parliment. It. Will Restrict The The Use of Pictures Of Baby Hedgehogs.

ISN'T THAT A CRIME...? UNITE NOW...!

wb.jpg

And I'm totally exhausted from trying to tell the Greens that you need leadership.

It's great to do things in the local community, but you have to work globally as well as working locally, you have to think globally as well as thinking locally.

People are so atomised.

Fucking hell. Fucking hell. Fucking hell.

WHAT IS TO BE DONE?

Once again, apologies if I'm heavy-handed.

To tell you the truth, I'm knackered. I decided two years ago that I was going to live entirely for my people. Fuck money, fuck personal aspirations. Public service. Which is what our MPs should be doing - except half of them aren't.

I work in a primary school as a teaching assistant. I get paid about £6 an hour and I spent every minute of my day trying to figure out what we should to make peace and save the planet. And we have this bloody man in Number Ten who earns £100,000s a year, and has staff and secretaries, and 100s of MPs, and all he can do is make war.

What is going on? This just isn't working...

Fuck it man. I'm knackered. I can't go on much longer.

Nobody is listening. Everyone is listening to idiots on TV. Everything's about TV. Geldof is a con. Live8 was a fraud. Make Poverty History is just ego junk.

I know you're all good people who think about this stuff - I'm not trying to say that you don't. And I think things would be better if you lot were all MPs. I really do. I say that because you write things that are thoughtful, and clear, and sensitive, and wise, and intelligent

and the warmongering crap that comes out of this government?

fuck. what do we do?

i've considered suicide bombing blair a thousand times but that's no solution. violence solves nothing. but our system isn't working. anyone telling the truth is just written off as weird day in day out...

i'm not trying to put myself above you all.

i may sound like i am. if so, it's just because i'm tired, grouchy, desperate, and without a leader in this country who represents my views and my needs.

it's anarchy in the uk.

good luck all. i trust you all. you know what to do.

detective-boy said:

Even if the Bill is OK in principle it certainly needs extensive scrutiny, debate and consideration. But to dismiss it out of hand is, I believe, a bit premature.

Thank God there is still someone capable of talking sense. :)

MatthewCuffe said:
i
good luck all. i trust you all. you know what to do.

Cool... So you are with me with the Hedgehog pics...? If we send lots to that Hitler Blair I'm sure he'll be a nice man.

I like you... :D :cool: ;)

L&L, I didn't have a go at you on a personal basis. I don't know you.

I had a go because this isn't business as usual.

This is an emergency and a crisis.

Our war is with climate change, not al-Qaeda.

What is called sense in this land right now is madness.

Carry on up Blair's Khyber past and I'll see you in 20 years in Huri Moai (the warring period on Easter Island).

People formed tribes, killed each other, and ate each other.

New Labour has got no vision.

Good luck - see you in 20 years. I'm vegetarian, and heading towards veganism, so I'll be first to the wall anyway.

Apparently human flesh is good with ketchup.

Seriously, I'm not joking.

FUCK BLAIR. FUCK NEW LABOUR.

WE NEED TO SECURE PEACE, BREAD, LAND, LIBERTY AND ENVIRONMENT BEFORE THE SEA COMES.

laptop said:
But as I read it (admittedly late, a couple of nights ago) all the safeguards are expressed in the form "if the Minister is satisfied..."
I think that that is pretty standard drafting language - if what they are attempting to achieve is a mechanism by which non-contentious matters may be swiftly changed without major upset then it would be entirely appropriate to say - "Here Minister, here's some powers, but you can only use them if you are satisfied ...". It is then for the rest of House to monitor how they are being used and, if necessary, question the Minister as to their use of them.

I think there needs to be some more thought given to how this oversight mechanism may work as it is a distinctly new extension of delegated powers and the existing safeguards may not be sufficient.

I am not aware of any proposed "modernisation" of wording, no.

MatthewCuffe said:
LISTEN. YOU DON'T LISTEN TO A WORD I SAY BECAUSE I AM NOT FAMOUS.
No, people don't listen to you because you come off as shouty, self-righteous and melodramatic. Knock it down a notch, eh?

Back
Top Bottom