Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2011 Census, good or bad?

Census Good or Bad

• Total voters
I don't really see the census as some state sponsored attack on my civil liberties to be quite honest.

ell, quite. There are undoubtedly problems with it (the questions on health are laughably bad), ommissions, a couple of unnecessary questions and there wil be significant numbers who refuse to fill it in (young people & migrants most notably), but it is a bloody useful tool

Because they've - well in this case moon - failed to be up in arms about stuff that actually matters.

Louis MacNeice

It's laughably stupid to equate my views with liberal as a collective whole. At least you acknowledge this by saying 'well in this case moon'.

ell, quite. There are undoubtedly problems with it (the questions on health are laughably bad), ommissions, a couple of unnecessary questions and there wil be significant numbers who refuse to fill it in (young people & migrants most notably), but it is a bloody useful tool

The approximate number of people living in a particular area and their approximate ages is vaguely useful planning information, but as you point out the Questions about "good or bad" state of health can have no relevance to the detailed planning of new or existing NHS hospitals etc.

Thankfully I do not live in Scotland where the Questions dare to include Ethnic background with the categories
"Gypsy / Traveller" and "Polish".

That is literally indistinguishable from the census infrastructure abused by the Nazis, for racial persecution and genocide, except
that now any future abuse will be linked to online geographical information systems for mapping and efficient transport route planning purposes.

That is literally indistinguishable from the census infrastructure abused by the Nazis, for racial persecution and genocide, except
that now any future abuse will be linked to online geographical information systems for mapping and efficient transport route planning purposes.

Erm, what?! Seriously. Eh?!

Thankfully I do not live in Scotland where the Questions dare to include Ethnic background with the categories "Gypsy / Traveller" and "Polish".

That is literally indistinguishable from the census infrastructure abused by the Nazis, for racial persecution and genocide,

oh do fuck off! What specious shite. YOUR government is currently smashing provision for Gypsy/Travellers, so it is very handy actually to know what numbers there are from that group, and where they are located (on that date at least). Ditto numbers of Polish people. Tho I realise you dont want to provide any services for them either.

And, have you seen the incredibly intrusive list of questions for those wanting to register for Liberal Scum Spring Conference? MOre than enough info for them to carry out mass identity theft (which is probably a tactic to ensure at least six people will still vote for them in May)

It's laughably stupid to equate my views with liberal as a collective whole. At least you acknowledge this by saying 'well in this case moon'.

Laughably stupid? Coming from a confused coalition apologist I won't take it to heart.

Louis MacNeice

The approximate number of people living in a particular area and their approximate ages is vaguely useful planning information, but as you point out the Questions about "good or bad" state of health can have no relevance to the detailed planning of new or existing NHS hospitals etc.

Thankfully I do not live in Scotland where the Questions dare to include Ethnic background with the categories

that now any future abuse will be linked to online geographical information systems for mapping and efficient transport route planning purposes

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Man, is your thinking arse about face or what? :D

That is literally indistinguishable from the census infrastructure abused by the Nazis, for racial persecution and genocide

It's the same ethnicity coding system the NHS uses to monitor local populations to ensure that services are planned correctly, and that people of all ethnic groups are accessing the healthcare services available to them.

So clearly the NHS actually stands for 'Nazis Have Schemes'.

When I open my door to a census collector, I will have no choice but to use a key.

Keys were used by the Nazis to lock people into train wagons for transporting them to concentration camps.

Ours arrived today, and I think the census is, well, necessary!

voted for wrong option, meant the one above (i.e. It's essential for planning public services, and providing information for government)

e2a: mmm, 'how you travel to work' question should be multiple choice!!! Rubbish (filling it online)

ah... but

If you use different types of transport on different days, select the one you use most often. If you use them equally, select the one you used most recently.

that's come out as working from home and I want it to be cycling :( I'm putting cycling - will mean more cyclists and more cycling lanes!

Anyway, it took 10 minutes to fill it in...

It's not supposed to. The idea of health questions is to:
a) establish the overall "population" of people with health issues, and the volume of which are slight, moderate or severe, and
b) to give a rough guide to local authorities etc as to how much strain may be put on local social services and health budgets and resources.

Twat. Virtually every 20th century (early or late) census structure is indistinguishable from what the Nazis used. That's because govts require similar information sets in order to govern, whatever the data later gets used/abused for.

BTW, worst offender in terms of the Holocaust wasn't abuse of census data, it was the seizure of (and, sadly, sometimes the submissive handing-over of) rabbinical birth records that fucked a lot of us in places like Poland and the Ukraine.

The British Humanist Association is campaigning for non-religious people to say so in the census:

http://census-campaign.org.uk/

They hope by doing this, the census data will more accurately reflect (non)belief in the UK. (Apparently non-religious people often tick "christian" for cultural reasons - at least they did in the last census because it was ambiguous).

Not that this will be any use when we're all herded into DEATH CAMPS, mind.

So they are in the post to us now.
Shame it is being organised by (US based arms company) Lockheed Martin, I only learned that at the weekend.

LM do huge amounts of civil IT in the US. There's nothing particularly sinister about their involvement: it could as easily have been Capita or Atos or HP or IBM. However suspicious you are of outsourcing and private sector involvement, you can't support inhouse resourcing of a large scale short term project which only happens every ten years.

The British Humanist Association is campaigning for non-religious people to say so in the census:

http://census-campaign.org.uk/

They hope by doing this, the census data will more accurately reflect (non)belief in the UK. (Apparently non-religious people often tick "christian" for cultural reasons - at least they did in the last census because it was ambiguous).

Where do they stand on Jedi or Sith? Happy to do whatever they or the NSS advise.

A Law professor is stating there is a lack of census confidentiality

http://www.computerweekly.com/Artic...ld-lead-to-census-data-breaches-warns-law.htm

Census data may be shared with other organisations if it is deemed to be in the interests of national security, says Douwe Korff, professor of international law at London Metropolitan University.

Data could be shared under exemptions outlined in section 39 of the Statistics and Registration Service Act (SRSA), which all government statistics are subject to (see below), he says.

"The legal safeguards against breaches of confidentiality are so flimsy as to be useless. In a democracy under the rule of law, one should not have to rely on blind trust in the authorities; the law should guarantee restraint," he said.

The law that applies to the census data does not stand in the way of the UK police, or intelligence services, foreign law enforcement agencies or secret services, seeking access - not just in exceptional cases but for general "trawling" or "fishing expeditions," says Korff.

Back
Top Bottom