Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Team GB Athlete Bianca Williams and her partner, Olympic sprinter Ricardo dos Santos, were stopped and searched by police in 2020. Sky News analysed.

I watched this while on public transport, so I might have missed something. But didn’t they fail to stop initially?

I am more sympathetic to the police officers after watching this.

I am sure the Met is a racist organisation, but I am not sure this is a good example of that.
Why?
How is it not a good example?
Would you like to be cuffed violently with your 3 month old left in the car?

This happens day in day out, only a major story as they are athletes and stood up for themselves

If you think this isn't a crystal example of police racism what does it take?
Mr Dos Santos told the panel while giving evidence that he had been "afraid" for the safety of his partner and his three-month-old son.
When shown body-worn footage of him mocking and swearing at the officers, he accepted his behaviour, saying: "Everybody deals with trauma differently."

Mr Dos Santos was stopped nine times within four weeks of buying a car in 2018, the panel heard.
The IOPC's Steve Noonan said he recognised the incident had "caused widespread community concern about the use of stop-and-search powers by police".

Maybe I have been watching too much Cops, but I just think failing to stop initially, is going to lead to an aggressive police response.

The lying is the worst bit as far as I can tell.
As I said I watched this on public transport, and missed this. Thanks to Urban posters for correcting me.

I watched this while on public transport, so I might have missed something. But didn’t they fail to stop initially?

It's not clear from the video, the van drew alongside them on their right as they emerged from a junction to turn left, but we don't get to see whether a constable in uniform required the driver to stop at that point. Presumably details are available in the various reports/court cases etc.

It's not clear from the video, the van drew alongside them on their right as they emerged from a junction to turn left, but we don't get to see whether a constable in uniform required the driver to stop at that point. Presumably details are available in the various reports/court cases etc.

Thanks for the clarification.

As you are now "more sympathetic to the police officers after watching this" (a three-minute video analysis of the evidence heard by the misconduct hearing) than the police misconduct panel, led by an independently and legally qualified chair, which determined that PC Jonathan Clapham and PC Sam Franks should be dismissed without notice for breaching the police standard of professional behaviour relating to honesty and integrity, having spent several weeks listening to the evidence of everyone involved in the incident, perhaps you would also like to contribute to the £50,000 now sought to reward "support" PC Jonathan Clapham and PC Sam Franks "and their families", if you have not already done so.

There is a definitely a stench of something. But it's not Cannabis.

I am sure the Met is a racist organisation, but I am not sure this is a good example of that.

Re: Didn't they fail to stop initially?

We need to rewind a bit.

The first thing to happen in the sequence of events is that the cop van started following what was described to be a Mercedes car. The cops claim not to have seen who was driving, ie they're saying we didn't know there was a black person driving the car, ergo, we can't be accused of racism on that score.

Which begs the question: if they were supposed to be hanging out in that particular area because of reports of 'youth crime,' why did they seemingly randomly choose to follow that car?

Anyone who knows anything about policing in this country knows that black men are often pulled over while driving a nice car while being guilty of nothing more than driving while black. Fancy car? Must be a drug dealer or into some other crimes.

Given how the Met is known - proven, in fact - to be institutionally racist, why do you think they chose to follow that car? Do you think that on the balance of probabilities it's more likely that they did see the driver was a black man, and given that he was driving an expensive car, they decided to follow and see where that led them?

Of course, the cops aren't going to admit that, like, Yeah, my bad, we were being racist, you got us. Often, they spout bullshit, when they stop and search, about how the person they stop answers the description of someone who's committed a crime, when basically that amounts to being a black male. Cops stop people all the time for nothing more than being a black person existing and going about their (totally innocent) daily lives.

In that context - and also bearing in mind that the Met and other police forces - have killed numerous black people, isn't it more understandable that a black driver might be reluctant to stop for the police?

As you are now "more sympathetic to the police officers after watching this" (a three-minute video analysis of the evidence heard by the misconduct hearing) than the police misconduct panel, led by an independently and legally qualified chair, which determined that PC Jonathan Clapham and PC Sam Franks should be dismissed without notice for breaching the police standard of professional behaviour relating to honesty and integrity, having spent several weeks listening to the evidence of everyone involved in the incident, perhaps you would also like to contribute to the £50,000 now sought to reward "support" PC Jonathan Clapham and PC Sam Franks "and their families", if you have not already done so.

There is a definitely a stench of something. But it's not Cannabis.

There's a report function on the JustGiving page. I've reported the page for breaching their guidelines in several ways. Bad cops shouldn't be rewarded for being bad cops.

In that context - and also bearing in mind that the Met and other police forces - have killed numerous black people, isn't it more understandable that a black driver might be reluctant to stop for the police?

Especially someone who'd previously been stopped nine times in a four week period. I think any of us would be "oh here we fucking go again, fuck you" to the next stop, even years later.

And now you're saying, well maybe the police didn't stop them properly.

I respectfully suggest you stop taking what SkyNews says as the truth of a situation.

Back
Top Bottom