Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Teachers - "British values" and all that

Actually turned on the telescreen last night - it's still a powerhouse for propaganda for the Former Regime - but alighted on an interesting programme about the evil of corporal punishment and how it was abolished. Had a lot of historical footage which floated my boat.

Partly because a lot of authors are posh and also because it allows minimal adult intervention in children's adventures. Obviously schools have teachers but they're either cane happy villains or droning automatons.

Yes it allows for parents being kept out of the way. Rural settings mean lots of outdoor adventures. Also, children are often fascinated by old things, especially spooky old buildings.

How much literature was set in secondary moderns under the tripartite system?
Dunno. They mainly did CSEs. If you want to see old papers they'll have them in Senate House. If you want to find them online, good luck persuading Google you didn't mean GCSE.

Something wankers like Dominic Cummings who go on about exams having got easier never consider is that all past exams and mark schemes are in a library somewhere. It would be really easy to prove.

I rebelled against the vile system in 1996 when I did my A-levels. Got a D in Economics because I thought the dominant economic paradigm was a farrago of ludicrous magical thinking. Got a Q on the essay paper for Questionable. Didn't matter a damn jot because I had a two E offer to Oxford after passing the entrance exam. Got a D in AS Politics as welll as an act of Gandhian passive resistance. If you ask me stupid questions then why expect anything other than stupid answers?

I'll look up secondary modern literature, thanks.

Last edited:
I'll look up secondary modern literature, thanks
You'll get modern literature studied in secondary schools.

You want old CSE English papers but wouldn't know where to find them online, you'd probably have more luck in a local library.

Probably about as much use as clapping for the nhs but just want to say I am really glad that all of you lot here are teachers. It's good to know that there are people like you who question everything doing this massively important job. I had one good teacher at my school and thank fuck for her, she made it ok to ask questions basically, and she talked to you like a person, which none of the others did.
The only 2ndary school teacher i know irl is very not like that, she's unlikely to deviate from any given lesson plan and I used to wonder sometimes at the huge responsibility and opportunity that she didn't seem at all interested in being aware she had.

I had a history teacher called John Saxton and one called Alan Wain who listened to me, nurtured me, looked after me, guided me, corrected me when I made errors and got me to Oxford. I owe them a great debt.

My mate Tim says he's busy writing reports for kids. Why is he bothering? Isn't the whole system Gradgrind in "Hard Times"?

The only way I'm getting a student of mine to Oxford is with megabus.

Lol. Wait - might be new management in charge and it might be a functioning 21st century university. In my day they gave firsts to idiots like sweeties and 2:1s to the brightest and the best.

And as a parent I want to know how they’re getting on. And I want to hear that from their teachers. That doesn’t mean I want their teachers to have to provide specific stats or use a silly reporting format - I just want a conversation, or in the absence of that a report.

Why isn't there a General Strike till we're a Republic and a democracy? What happened to the fighting spirit of 1926? Why is everyone still going to work instead of just hanging and chilling at home eating ice creams and laughing as the Former Regime goes down faster than the Titanic?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom