Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Teachers - "British values" and all that

Anyway, ten pages in, have we a definition for 'British Values'?
1. Stick the kettle on
2. If someone accidentally bumps into you when walking say 'sorry' to them
3. Don't make eye contact on the tube (wherever in the UK you come from)
4. If you get rubbish food in a restaurant, when the waiter asks you how it is, say 'lovely'
5. If you see a nice looking country somewhere stick a flag on it
6. Invent loads of great sports, share them with the world, be shit at them
7. Don't express emotions unless you have a blood alcohol level twice the drink drive limit
8 . Dell Boy falling through the bar
9. Binge drink.

The gatling's jammed and the colonel dead,

And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.

The river of death has brimmed its banks,

And England's far and Honour a name,

But the voice of Pickman's rallies the ranks-

"Play up! Play up! And play the game!
the question was 'what are british values' not 'what are your values'

Bumped into a colleague today, like physically bumped rumps.

The teacher is an American, male, usually a loud mouth, an irritating git, that's just what other teachers and have called him, who blows up at anything that effects him. So I just brushed passed realising I could have said 'excuse me' but I did not, anyway, I froze terrified. He stormed off out out of room.

Teachers of u75: How do you go about teaching things you do not necessarily agree with, or things you do agree with but to which you are compelled to add a nationalist slant?

Inspired by some comments on another thread regarding the obligation to teach "fundamental British values", as if they are peculiarly British and not the values of lesser peoples.

There's going to be plenty of people out there who describe themselves as "nationalist" who

Might not agree those values are British fundamental values.
Might not agree those values are histroically British fundamental values.
Might not agree all of those values are just.
Might not agree all of those values are exclusive to Britain.

I can undestand why anyone might think it's a "nationalist slant".
I can understand why anyone might think that nationalists are more likely to align with those values than others.

It's silly because they simply aren't "fundamental British values".

Ofsted are in next week so I've had to do quick impromptu sessions for new students on FBV, Prevent, & Equality and Diversity this week (and the same session as a reminder for non-new students).

I tend to be boringly impartial with new ones as we don't know each other well yet but with students I've already had one or two previous years I can really get them questioning beyond what I have to deliver; one group I had discussing how power and privilege reproduces and protects itself - is democracy real when we have a King? - while another group (and I know this sounds like one for the sure, this definitely happened file) actually applauded when I suggested if you see someone stealing food from a supermarket NO YOU DIDN'T :D I'd got a bit ranty lol

Back
Top Bottom