Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'super talented weirdos'- Dominic Cummings wants your cv

What he's actually going to do is spend billions on consultants who have realised that the less work they do, the longer they can continue to charge More Money for their services.
He hates consultants. They’ll spend the money on the kids who couldn’t get into consulting but think #crazymanagementconsultants is aspirational, not satire

this bit of the intro;
"Now there is a confluence of: a) Brexit requires many large changes in policy and in the structure of decision-making, b) some people in government are prepared to take risks to change things a lot, and c) a new government with a significant majority and little need to worry about short-term unpopularity while trying to make rapid progress with long-term problems."
I do wonder what in his (galaxy sized obvs) mind these long term problems are.

That’s certainly the current state of play in much of the civil service

And you see Dominic Cummings and Boris Johnson as the men to rectify that?

Have a look at how much cash Boris Johnson pissed away on consultants for his half-baked garden bridge, with zero to show for it. That's what the whole country is going to look like now. We'll be at the mercy of every cunt with an elevator pitch and a five-figure hourly rate.

Also Cummings has William Gibson all wrong. Most of his stories are about ordinary people with unusual abilities who get swept up into some ludicrous quest, start to feel like they're a causative agent right at the heart of things but then ultimately realise they were just pawns in a game of vast inhuman forces that was always destined to play out in a certain way.

If anything, Jeremy Corbyn is the William Gibson protagonist in all this.

it isn't a question of working hard. staff in the dwp sanctioning claimants are working hard. is their work worth doing though?
Absolutely -I have no issue with the service being scrutinised, as with any major organisation there is need for change but there is no need for disruption. Tories are pissed because their ideas take so long to implement. But what if their ideas are destructive, expensive and stupid ?

it isn't a question of working hard. staff in the dwp sanctioning claimants are working hard. is their work worth doing though?

Well quite. And their work is gamified with targets, competition etc to make them feel productive even when all they're producing is misery. Half the public sector is spending more time meeting the criteria for appearing productive than actually doing productive work.

What Cummings is proposing is creating his own team, loyal to him, to circumvent the Sir Humphrys in the Civil Service.

The Civil Service, for good and bad, acts as a check on what governments can do. On the one hand they try to make ministers think through their plans and stop disastrous ideas being implemented; on the other hand they make it really hard for any real change to occur in the country.

I can understand Edie being cheered by removing that barrier to real change, but I'll go along with everyone else in being horrified by the idea that any brain fart Cummings or Johnson or Patel or Gove or Hancock has will forced through without anyone saying 'wait a minute, that won't work because...'

this bit of the intro;
"Now there is a confluence of: a) Brexit requires many large changes in policy and in the structure of decision-making, b) some people in government are prepared to take risks to change things a lot, and c) a new government with a significant majority and little need to worry about short-term unpopularity while trying to make rapid progress with long-term problems."
I do wonder what in his (galaxy sized obvs) mind these long term problems are.
i think the greater issue is the changes in the structure of decision-making - posting a job advert on a blog with applications going to a gmail account doesn't seem to me likely to be even as accountable as the government is now, it doesn't seem to be at all open, and it doesn't bode well for the pitiful level of parliamentary scrutiny the current administration has allowed.

No no, let's just wait and see eh?
So you and bees genuinely think Johnson and Cummings intend to smash the system in some kind of bizarre own goal? But neither of you can explain why?

I don’t think that’s their intention for a minute. They can no doubt be accused of being wankers with massively inflated self importance about their own intelligence, and as FridgeMagnet says bold modernisers. But tbh I’m all for some bold modernisation. Possibly more than they’d be willing to concede, but I do appreciate the points izz makes. The ideas may be destructive, expensive and stupid. And checks and balances exist for a reason.

What Cummings is proposing is creating his own team, loyal to him, to circumvent the Sir Humphrys in the Civil Service.

The Civil Service, for good and bad, acts as a check on what governments can do. On the one hand they try to make ministers think through their plans and stop disastrous ideas being implemented; on the other hand they make it really hard for any real change to occur in the country.

I can understand Edie being cheered by removing that barrier to real change, but I'll go along with everyone else in being horrified by the idea that any brain fart Cummings or Johnson or Patel or Gove or Hancock has will forced through without anyone saying 'wait a minute, that won't work because...'
if at the next election a left-wing labour government was returned the civil service they found would have to go because it would be actively seeking to prevent eg nationalisation not on grounds of practicality but of political alignment.

if at the next election a left-wing labour government was returned the civil service they found would have to go because it would be actively seeking to prevent eg nationalisation not on grounds of practicality but of political alignment.
Yes they would. Cummings is proposing politicising the civil service.

Back
Top Bottom