Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sun and Doves pub - owner evicted after by brewery after huge rent rises

Went in there for the first time this week. Really liked it.

I really like some of the textures and materials they've (or possibly the departing Sun & Doves crew) exposed. What I don't like is the surfeit of generic vintage/retro chinz, which could have come from any number of other Antic pubs - there's apparenty been no real effort to look at the space and come up with a concept that's particular to it, rather, they've just gone to their usual dealer or whatever and said 'we've got X square feet, give us what you got'.

I really like some of the textures and materials they've (or possibly the departing Sun & Doves crew) exposed. What I don't like is the surfeit of generic vintage/retro chinz, which could have come from any number of other Antic pubs - there's apparenty been no real effort to look at the space and come up with a concept that's particular to it, rather, they've just gone to their usual dealer or whatever and said 'we've got X square feet, give us what you got'.

I should point out that this falls into the category of harsh criticism you give to places you really want to like. Of the various fates that might have befallen the S&D, this one isnt really to shabby in the scheme of things.

Same as Badgers, went the first time this week and really liked the space and the real ale, not so big a fan of the furniture. Bonus points for the girl that came up to me and said her friend (right) wanted to know if I was single. :cool: Wasn't expecting the clientele to be so m/c either, guess it gets a lot of trade off the KCH workers.

They had Deuchars, an XPA and two IPAs, the names of which escape me, plus a couple more taps which I also can't remember, a decent selection of lagers, nothing too adventurous. Ales I tasted were well kept and Badgers enjoyed a few pints of Symonds cider.

Went in the "Sun of Camberwell' with Ms Hatter the other week. It's a typical Antic pub. Decor is full of antique stuff and old wooden chairs etc. It's not bad, but it totally lacks character and atmosphere. There's an open fire which is quite good. Beers reasonably expensive. We wanted some food but weren't inspired by the menu, so ended up doing a pub crawl which incorporated the Hermit's Cave (which has 9 ciders on tap, when the f*ck did that happen!) :)

Yes, this is good news, and it will also be statutory, which means it has legal force behind it, not just a voluntary code of practice.

However, I think there remains a problem - certainly in London anyway - around the value of pub property. If Pubcos can't use the beer tie to extract additional money from the landlord, they can either put up the rent or simply sell the pub/turn it into flats...
they'll probably sell if they can't overtax the beer :/

Wanted to go in Sun and Doves today but got out of KCH earlier than expected and no way was I going to wait around an hour for S&D to open.

Anyway, builders still there and looks like they're concentrating on the outside at the minute

DSC08214.JPG

Well. I've been in there a few times and like it compared to what it would have been if it were a Capital or Geronimo but well known member slowjoe has it spot on - there's so MUCH, so MANY, interior artefact bits and pieces they smother each other. It's like being in a 1940's jumble sale. It feels packed and busy.

The stripped back-ness of the walls and exposed metal beams are not of the outgoing tenant's (me) doing. Someone chose to do that.

Any one heard about the Ivy House Nunhead yet? Just hot off the press:

Great NEWS! Now YOU can buy a bit of The Ivy House Nunhead and make London pub history. Go to 'BUY SHARES' here: http://www.ivyhousenunhead.com/

Back
Top Bottom