Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton supermarket & pub inflation watch

saw a jar of coffee in a little plastic safe with lock in co-op brixton road, just the one looked like an art installation. i also notice they dont stock much of the own brand stuff anymore. tea bags being a prime example. they seem to be deliberately making themselves useless to budget customers.

I've noticed the same in Brixton road Coop. They don't have own brand pizzas any more. Nor the frozen croissants I liked. Both of which were reasonably prized.

Not sure if it is one of the Coop supply problems they have or that they are cutting down on own brands. They used to do own brand lager and Czech beers and cannot find that now.

And what happened to the "Honest Value" range?

And I saw the tinned tuna packs are now put in little plastic safes in the Brixton road Coop

End result I don't buy them. Don't like the idea and means it takes longer to do my shopping as to have to get one of the staff to unlock it.

And I saw the tinned tuna packs are now put in little plastic safes in the Brixton road Coop

End result I don't buy them. Don't like the idea and means it takes longer to do my shopping as to have to get one of the staff to unlock it.

...the tinned fish is now behind clear plastic screens with a tiny gap at top...
it makes getting your hand through to get what youre after difficult so probably another anti theft device.

It's been going on for years, but Which have just reported on the fact that the convenience formats of the supermarkets (Local, Express etc) don't carry the budget ranges of their private label ranges, offering only the mid-range or premium only- presumably better margins on these. This makes the average basket more expensive than shopping at the big stores. Also some items are more expensive in the c-stores anyway. When the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury say they have "national pricing" it only includes supermarkets and online.

Trying to look up Coop pricing online and found that their shops are Franchises.

That surprised me. I assumed Coop was employer.

Im really dubious about Franchise model. Knew someone in different industry whose company went to change shops to franchises.

You had to buy all supplies from same company/ pay to have the "privilege" of a shop and still try to make it work.

Franchise model is way of offloading risk downwards.

It's been going on for years, but Which have just reported on the fact that the convenience formats of the supermarkets (Local, Express etc) don't carry the budget ranges of their private label ranges, offering only the mid-range or premium only- presumably better margins on these. This makes the average basket more expensive than shopping at the big stores. Also some items are more expensive in the c-stores anyway. When the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury say they have "national pricing" it only includes supermarkets and online.
i think everything is more expensive in the local/convenience stores than the big supermarkets are they?

This will reflect the higher costs of the location rent & higher staff numbers per square foot

You pay for the convenience i suppose

Trying to look up Coop pricing online and found that their shops are Franchises.

That surprised me. I assumed Coop was employer.

Im really dubious about Franchise model. Knew someone in different industry whose company went to change shops to franchises.

You had to buy all supplies from same company/ pay to have the "privilege" of a shop and still try to make it work.

Franchise model is way of offloading risk downwards.
brixton road coop was very different until recently maybe the franchise has changed hands.

I thought it was bad enough Tesco's and Sainsbury's were marking basic beef mince with security tags. But that's a new level, like what they used to do only for shaving cartridge or medication.

I still recall being surprised to see good steak marked with security tags 7-8 years ago.

If you use Twitter, @paulbranditv and @peston are soliciting this stuff and photos of possible for their show tonight

If you use Twitter, @paulbranditv and @peston are soliciting this stuff and photos of possible for their show tonight
I think shops are confused about security. A couple of days ago I left LJ Tesco Express with "10 Firepit Sweet & Smoky BBQ beef kebabs" rrp £5.15 - reduced to £2.58
The lady at the till had scanned the RFID tag, which is supposed to de-activate it.
Nevertheless the alarm went off went I left the shop. I turned back, put my head back in the door - no security around. Even the till lady had abandoned her post to do shelf-packing and none of the shelf-packers looked up when the alarm went off. I exchanged glances with three customers near the door, who shrugged their shoulders - so I went back out and on my way.

Hasten to add when I cook these I'm gonna bake them in the oven. My low church liberal upbringing won't allow me to steal from Tescos. Similarly I can't watch endless stuff about global warming only to fetch out a barbeque as soon as the outside temperature reaches 20°C!

more clever pricing....

5C91EC60-44B5-498A-A2FB-8D12708EE019.jpeg

the box containing toothpaste is from local convenience store Happy Shop Brixton Riad 75 ml for £1
the tube is from co-op 125 ml for £3
which makes the co-op +2X more expensive.

and here is the dead fish aquarium previously mentioned...

D124CC86-6B31-435C-880E-3CC891548776.jpeg

They sell triple action in coop too. So who is doing the conning with that comparison?

i am focussing on the packaging/marketing, if you compare boxes the total comes in a larger box in comparison to the triple action thus appearing better value but the opposite is true. also with the tubes, the total tube looks bigger by far but theres a lot of air in it. the bigger conman is probably the manufacturer.

edi

i am focussing on the packaging/marketing, if you compare boxes the total comes in a larger box in comparison to the triple action thus appearing better value but the opposite is true. also with the tubes, the total tube looks bigger by far but theres a lot of air in it. the bigger conman is probably the manufacturer.

edi
I see what you are saying. But isn’t the boxing of the triple action the con thus making the smaller tube look bigger.

I see what you are saying. But isn’t the boxing of the triple action the con thus making the smaller tube look bigger.

yeah its complicated, im working on the assumption that bigger box = better value.

Last edited:
So went to Marks and Spencer this evening after work to buy some socks and underwear. I do this every now and then. As its late it is only the self service tills on. Not a problem. I have done this before.

Pay for items and get receipt.

No problem.

Walk out of shop and alarm goes off.

Security guard stops me. Show my receipt. He says it is still tagged.

There were no tags on the two items.

Anyway went to till. asked for manager. Told manager I've paid for this and this is embarrassing and I'm livid about this.

Told it is tagged ( how they tag items with no plastic tags is new to me)

Told I should have used the till at front ( there is no one at till at front in evenings. I have bought socks before on self service tills and alarm has not gone off.)

I said I used the self service tills at back as everyone does in evening. That there was nothing at those tills to tell me I needed to de tag them.

I kept myself under enough control not to be abusive.

Seems to me this is new. Plus it is not obvious what is tagged. Used to be a big plastic ring on clothes that were tagged. Some how they are doing it without that. So mister joe public customer like me thinks buying it at self service till is ok.

I'm so angry about this.

This is not how M and S Brixton should treat customers.

If they are going to extend tagging to minor items in way that is not obvious they should set up self service tills so they say approval needed.

Life is hard enough without these big companies assuming your out to steal from them until proven otherwise. Ive almost had enough of it.

Last edited:
So went to Marks and Spencer this evening after work to buy some socks and underwear. I do this every now and then. As its late it is only the self service tills on. Not a problem. I have done this before.

Pay for items and get receipt.

No problem.

Walk out of shop and alarm goes off.

Security guard stops me. Show my receipt. He says it is still tagged.

There were no tags on the two items.

I was furious.

Anyway went to till. asked for manager. Told manager I've paid for this and this is embarrassing and I'm livid about this.

Told it is tagged ( how they tag items with no plastic tags is new to me)

Told I should have used the till at front ( there is no one at till at front in evenings. I have bought socks before on self service tills and alarm has not gone off.)

I said I used the self service tills at back as everyone does in evening. That there was nothing at those tills to tell me I needed to de tag them.

I kept myself under enough control not to be abusive.

They were still trying to make out I was being aggressive. And i wasn't. I don't lose the plot entirely unless really pushed. And they were pushing me but I kept it civil. If I had lost the plot they would have known about it. Im well aware there are cameras there and keep it within bounds.

Seems to me this is new. Plus it is not obvious what is tagged. Used to be a big plastic ring on clothes that were tagged. Some how they are doing it without that. So mister joe public customer like me thinks buying it at self service till is ok.

I'm so angry about this.

This is not how M and S Brixton should treat customers.

If they are going to extend tagging to minor items in way that is not obvious they should set up self service tills so they say approval needed.

Still it starts to push me over the edge that these big companies imo hound the little person who works hard to make ends meet. And actually pays for their items.

Life is hard enough without these big companies assuming your out to steal from them until proven otherwise. Ive almost had enough of it.
These articles might be of interest.
I thought that the laser of the scanner was supposed to stop the RFID tag setting of the alarm - but obviously not. I had the same experience at Tesco LJ except the staff there can't give 2 fs if the alarm goes off.
This seems to be the ultimate guide to RFID tagging: How to Block/kill RFID Chips
and this video shows what will happen when we catch up with Japan. You simply present your credit/debit card and walk out the store - the tags do the rest!

Back
Top Bottom