Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton supermarket & pub inflation watch

Just done a routine shop at Camberwell Lidl/Morrisons.
? why don't Camberwell Lidl do that delicious coconut/Greek full fat yoghurt available at Streaham and Acre Lane?
Apart from that I see 1 kg Belbake granulated sugar has now hit 95p (from 65p) - and increase not far short of 50%
Across the road at Morrisons 2 kg bags odf Silver Spoon are available at £1.49 - but 1kg is 95p as at Lidl.

Morrisons cheapo reductions are not so generous since the private equity take-over though I must say they have quite exotic ready meals for one these days.

Just done a routine shop at Camberwell Lidl/Morrisons.
? why don't Camberwell Lidl do that delicious coconut/Greek full fat yoghurt available at Streaham and Acre Lane?
Apart from that I see 1 kg Belbake granulated sugar has now hit 95p (from 65p) - and increase not far short of 50%
Across the road at Morrisons 2 kg bags odf Silver Spoon are available at £1.49 - but 1kg is 95p as at Lidl.

Morrisons cheapo reductions are not so generous since the private equity take-over though I must say they have quite exotic ready meals for one these days.

Camberwell Lidl is a bit rubbish compared to Acre lane and Stockwell.

Even then when I come in evenings some bargains have gone. The Lidl toilet rolls are ridiculously cheap. Some of the beers are very good value. As is some of the fruit/ Veg

Camberwell Lidl is a bit rubbish compared to Acre lane and Stockwell.

Even then when I come in evenings some bargains have gone. The Lidl toilet rolls are ridiculously cheap. Some of the beers are very good value. As is some of the fruit/ Veg
Camberwell Lidl is pleasantly small. But no McEwans. They do seems to have the odd supply issue with beer festival type stock - like having a great excess of Banana Bread beer and King Goblin. Excellent!

Oh - PS the Lidl at Warren Street is ridiculously large - presumably does very well next to University College Hospital. Not necessarily any better supplied that Streaham though, although they still charge Zone 3 prices in Zone1!

I am in deeper South London but couldn't believe the price of Sainsburys extra virgin olive oil. Think it was £7 something. I didn't buy it. Half the price in Aldi and seems of similar quality, as much as I can tell.

I noticed Aldi 1 ltr vegetable oil @ £1.75 yesterday so bought one. Lidl is definitely £1.99 or maybe £2.09 by now.

The other Aldi cheapie is Shepherd Neame Bishops Finger @ £1.25 on offer - Lidl is £1.29 currently.

The shocker from Lidl is their Hatherwood Purple Panther porter which has shot up to £1.49 in all branches I've visited.
This is a very nice brew and only 3 months back was £1.09.

Further to the post above - Tesco Acre Lane now had 1 litre vegetable oil on "Aldi price match" at £1.75.
So saves a trip to Streatham and definitely cheaper than Lidl.
BBC were saying Lidl food inflation is running at 21%, Aldi and 20.6% where Tescos, Sainsbury & Morrisons all around 16%. But when it get to £1.99 a jar of jam one starts to think we're in Lucerne!

£2.25 I see Demerara sugar in Lidl has now jumped from £1.38 to £1.79 - an increase of 29.71%!
To be fair the £1.38 has been super-cheap for this tyoe of sugar for several years and no-one else could touch them.

On a more modest note Wetherspoons have increased the standard price for ales from £2.39 at the Holland Tringham and presumably the Beehive to the rather unusual price of £2.57. This is a 7.5% increase. Must pop down to Peckham to see what the Kentish Drover has done was £2.10/pint - I'm predicting £2.25.

£2.25 I see Demerara sugar in Lidl has now jumped from £1.38 to £1.79 - an increase of 29.71%!
To be fair the £1.38 has been super-cheap for this tyoe of sugar for several years and no-one else could touch them.

On a more modest note Wetherspoons have increased the standard price for ales from £2.39 at the Holland Tringham and presumably the Beehive to the rather unusual price of £2.57. This is a 7.5% increase. Must pop down to Peckham to see what the Kentish Drover has done was £2.10/pint - I'm predicting £2.25.
I drink in the Forest Hill Spoons and my usual, a large bottle of Asahi, has gone up 3 times in the last year, from £3.49 to £4.18 as of last week. The latest increase was 28p.

Not in Brixton or even Peckham, but still south London -- I was a bit shocked to find none of the proper coffee at Sainsbury was under £4. Coffee has always been a bit of a random thing in terms of what varieties are available and what they cost in any given shop, whether it's an independent or a chain. But up tiill recently it's been possible to get coffee for £3-something, occasionally £2-something or at least two for a fiver.

There used to be some sporadically in poundshops back in the day when most things were a pound, but I haven't seen any there for a couple of years now.

Last edited:
The standard 227g packs of filter coffee seem to be in the £3.50-£4.20 range in the mainstream supermarkets now. Aldi & Lidl are still under £3 and are pretty good. Both have built their own roasteries in Germany so can keep the costs down. The Lidl Deluxe Columbian for example was voted best (and cheapest) Columbian filter coffee in Which? last year.

Talking of Aldi I actually bought the product this very enthusiastic reviewer is so enthused by

There's a microwavable cake from Lidl that my son loves. It was 99p until last summer and then went up to £1.25 late last year. There's now a sign beneath it on the shelf saying

"Reduction: £1.50 £1.29"

So I guess I can tell where it's going next. I will still buy it at £1.50, but 50% increase in a year is steep.

There's a microwavable cake from Lidl that my son loves. It was 99p until last summer and then went up to £1.25 late last year. There's now a sign beneath it on the shelf saying

"Reduction: £1.50 £1.29"

So I guess I can tell where it's going next. I will still buy it at £1.50, but 50% increase in a year is steep.
Lidl have been done for that sort of reduction labelling - even in the Acre Lane branch (when Lambeth had weights and measures staff).
Bread is getting to more than 50% inflation though isn't it? Some loaves in Tesco are £2 or more. Bog standard Lidl wholemeal has gone from 49p to 79p in six months (which is 61%)

Not in Brixton or even Peckham, but still south London -- I was a bit shocked to find none of the proper coffee at Sainsbury was under £4. Coffee has always been a bit of a random thing in terms of what varieties are available and what they cost in any given shop, whether it's an independent or a chain. But up tiill recently it's been possible to get coffee for £3-something, occasionally £2-something or at least two for a fiver.

There used to be some sporadically in poundshops back in the day when most things were a pound, but I haven't seen any there for a couple of years now.

I get the Lidl Italian blend coffee beans. Which are surprisingly good and cheap.

I do get the larger 454g pack which I cannot find price of.

It is possible to get cheaper coffee at the Sainsburys big stores like at Nine Elms.

The smaller local stores are a rip off imo.

Reactions: CH1
Lidl have moved from price gouging cheese and meat to alcohol.
I bought this just now at Camberwell for £1.49
porter.png
Only a year ago the same product was 99p and 5% abv.
Added to which it still comes up on the till roll as 5%. Lidl never were very fussy about weights and measures - but a 50% increase in price and a 10% reduction in strength seems like taking the piss to me.
lidl till roll.jpg

Oddity here at Tesco Express Loughborough Junction.
They had stacks of Kenyan microwaveable tender stem mixed veg packs on the reduced shelf on Sunday - £2.00 reduced to 48p
Desperate to appease my GP's 5 a day ordinance I got three of these - only to discover they were on Buy 2 get 1 free - even when reduced to 48p.

Maybe I'm now due a visit from Stop Oil - after all there is no particular reason why broccoli and sliced carrots can't be grown in Blighty is there? - apart from White British laziness, according to Suella Braverman.

cheap coffee is cheap for a reason tbf (low quality beans, often harvested in places with poor working condition), so, there's that. not that expensive is necessarily always better in terms of workers rights but its generally going to be in terms of quality you would expect it to be.

the era of super cheap coffee is being destroyed by climate change, among other factors. but it was always an industry with hidden costs being paid elsewhere

Oddity here at Tesco Express Loughborough Junction.
They had stacks of Kenyan microwaveable tender stem mixed veg packs on the reduced shelf on Sunday - £2.00 reduced to 48p
Desperate to appease my GP's 5 a day ordinance I got three of these - only to discover they were on Buy 2 get 1 free - even when reduced to 48p.

Maybe I'm now due a visit from Stop Oil - after all there is no particular reason why broccoli and sliced carrots can't be grown in Blighty is there? - apart from White British laziness, according to Suella Braverman.
The UK imports 46% of it's food, so if we stopped eating imported food we'd all die.
If you hadn't bought the broccoli and carrots then Tesco would have thrown them away, so you can now sleep easy safe in the knowledge that you're one of the good ones.
Also, looking after your health will save the NHS money too, so double brownie points for you.

The UK imports 46% of it's food, so if we stopped eating imported food we'd all die.
If you hadn't bought the broccoli and carrots then Tesco would have thrown them away, so you can now sleep easy safe in the knowledge that you're one of the good ones.
Also, looking after your health will save the NHS money too, so double brownie points for you.
Not sure if your are being ironic - but sadly the GP who put me on all sorts of BP tablets between 2000-2012 and used to tell me to walk more died prematurely (brain hemorrhage I think).
Taught me to take my tablets!

Lidl always used to be cheapest for coffee. I think I got 200g freeze dried for about £2.40 2 or 3 weeks back. Was £1.89 a couple of months ago.
Not as strong as Nescafé Gold Blend.
But presumably you're talking of coffee for filter machines?
Before San Marino in Brixton turned into a posh establishment they used to sell Lavazza packets over the counter for a reasonable price. Is that still a possibility?

I was in Lidl on Wednesday. Tilled up my shopping and it came to 45 pounds. I thought WTF. Talked to a few workmates and they have had the same. It used to be the cheap alternative. Still is but it is more expensive.

Went to cafe/ bakery I use in Kennington I use. Few weeks back the vegetable pasty was two pounds and ninety five pence. Not couple of weeks later its three pounds and fifty.

Basic stuff keeps going up in price.

cheap coffee is cheap for a reason tbf (low quality beans, often harvested in places with poor working condition), so, there's that. not that expensive is necessarily always better in terms of workers rights but its generally going to be in terms of quality you would expect it to be.

the era of super cheap coffee is being destroyed by climate change, among other factors. but it was always an industry with hidden costs being paid elsewhere
not worth scrimping on proper coffee imho. you can really taste the difference

Back
Top Bottom