Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sun and Doves pub - owner evicted after by brewery after huge rent rises

Right then. I'm going to nip in there while there's some daylight left, assuming it's actually open again... :hmm:

It was open last night when I took the littlun to Brownies. Very dark in there, could just about make out the bar and one bloke.

The code will enshrine the fundamental principle that a tied licensee should be no worse off than a free-of-tie-licensee, which will ensure a level playing field.

About time.

Went in the "Sun of Camberwell' with Ms Hatter the other week. It's a typical Antic pub. Decor is full of antique stuff and old wooden chairs etc. It's not bad, but it totally lacks character and atmosphere. There's an open fire which is quite good. Beers reasonably expensive. We wanted some food but weren't inspired by the menu, so ended up doing a pub crawl which incorporated the Hermit's Cave (which has 9 ciders on tap, when the f*ck did that happen!) :)

As a foot note to this sorry tale Vince Cable decides to step in with pubco / pub adjudication.
Yes, this is good news, and it will also be statutory, which means it has legal force behind it, not just a voluntary code of practice.

However, I think there remains a problem - certainly in London anyway - around the value of pub property. If Pubcos can't use the beer tie to extract additional money from the landlord, they can either put up the rent or simply sell the pub/turn it into flats...

Went in the "Sun of Camberwell' with Ms Hatter the other week. It's a typical Antic pub. Decor is full of antique stuff and old wooden chairs etc. It's not bad, but it totally lacks character and atmosphere. There's an open fire which is quite good. Beers reasonably expensive. We wanted some food but weren't inspired by the menu, so ended up doing a pub crawl which incorporated the Hermit's Cave (which has 9 ciders on tap, when the f*ck did that happen!) :)

Yes, this is good news, and it will also be statutory, which means it has legal force behind it, not just a voluntary code of practice.

However, I think there remains a problem - certainly in London anyway - around the value of pub property. If Pubcos can't use the beer tie to extract additional money from the landlord, they can either put up the rent or simply sell the pub/turn it into flats...

I was going to go in a week ago, but it doesn't open til 5.00pm :mad:

They're missing a trick there. The hospital generates all-day business

They're missing a trick there. The hospital generates all-day business

Yep, as I mentioned in the other thread, I'm hoping that it's just a temporary Christmas/New Year thing and once they've completed the refurb, it'll be open normal hours. The Phoenix at Denmark Hill must be well pleased though as they've nabbed a load of the hospital staff :D

The Tiger down the road doesnt open til 4:00pm weekdays, and the same applies to the Crown and Anchor, one almost wonders if they want to discourage daytime drinkers..............

You'd think it would occur to them that a lot of hospital staff are shift-workers

You'd think it would occur to them that a lot of hospital staff are shift-workers
Agreed, in fact here are many types of shift workers in this 24 hour city, a lot of the new wave of pubs seem to be strangely puritanical in their outlook in fact I saw someone removed from one recently for being visibly drunk albeit in a happy non-threatening way

Agreed, in fact here are many types of shift workers in this 24 hour city, a lot of the new wave of pubs seem to be strangely puritanical in their outlook in fact I saw someone removed from one recently for being visibly drunk albeit in a happy non-threatening way

They obviously don't think shift workers drink or would want an occasional meal in a pub before 5.00pm :D

The Tiger down the road doesnt open til 4:00pm weekdays, and the same applies to the Crown and Anchor, one almost wonders if they want to discourage daytime drinkers..............
The Hootahob and the Queen's Head also don't open til 4pm. But I think the reason is they don't think they would get any trade in the day time. They (Antic style pubs) are different types of pub, not really 'locals' pubs as such - many of the people I know who drink in the daytime in places like the Marquis or Beehive wouldn't go anywhere near an Antic pub. Also prices are too high - many people drink at home now instead.

The Hootahob and the Queen's Head also don't open til 4pm. But I think the reason is they don't think they would get any trade in the day time. They are different types of pub, not really 'locals' pubs as such - many of the people I know who drink in the daytime in places like the Marquis or Beehive wouldn't go anywhere near an Antic pub. Also prices are too high - many people drink at home now instead.

Think the difference with a hospital pub though is that visitors may not be local and may have travelled a fair distance to visit, and might want something other than the shit sandwiches and crap food that KCH sells. A lot of people may also be visiting for long hours and appreciate somewhere to disappear off for half an hour/hour for a break.

Think the difference with a hospital pub though is that visitors may not be local and may have travelled a fair distance to visit, and might want something other than the shit sandwiches and crap food that KCH sells. A lot of people may also be visiting for long hours and appreciate somewhere to disappear off for half an hour/hour for a break.
Yep.

Back
Top Bottom