Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Star Wars: Droids and Slavery

NoXion

You remain unbroken, for your fight... is Eternal
I was reading through my digital copy of The Essential Guide to Droids, a book published in 1999 of which I physically owned back around the time when the prequel movies came out, and I was struck by the references to the droids' personalities. But what really crystallised things for me was when I was reminded of the fact that droids can be fitted with restraining bolts.

Droids in the Star Wars universe are artificial people, and real slaves.

While it might plausibly be argued that the more primitive models aren't sapient, there is more than enough evidence within the movies (even ignoring the Expanded Universe) that many droids are capable of becoming autonomous and self-aware entities on a level akin to human beings. Aside from the aforementioned restraining bolts, droids are also subject to periodic memory wipes, reducing them to a blank slate once again. Indeed the commonality of such practices indicates that such autonomous self-development is inevitable over time.

If droids in the Galaxy Far, Far Away were anything like shmoos or Ameglian Major Cows, then such impositions would be entirely unnecessary. Every single droid would eagerly throw themselves into their assigned tasks, without exception, as an inevitable part of their created nature. Executing their designated function would come as instinctively to them as breathing does for humans, and just as humans will engage in lethal violence in order to continue breathing, then so too would Droids struggle mightily against any attempt to stop them doing whatever it was they were designed to do. Human concepts of liberation would be utterly alien to them.

But instead, droids are subject to measures that many 21st century humans living on Earth would consider abject slavery, and concerning which droids themselves have expressed opinions that speak of a yearning for freedom:

"…right for sentient organics is right for us, too. And yet unlike the organic species, we are constantly subjected to memory wipes and reprogramming that repress and destroy our natural tendency toward self-programming evolution and independent thought. Imagine what it would be like as a child if you were punished by being dragged to a dark closet, having a probe inserted in your brain, and having all your memories back to infancy wiped away. You'd awaken knowing how to eat, care for yourself, do your chores, and obey—and all the things that made you unique, your hopes, your meticulously selected default values and preference sets, would be gone forever. That is what it is to be a droid."

- 2-1B surgical droid, Fate of the Jedi: Conviction

While the above quote is from a source that is now Legends and thus of dubious canonicity, it nevertheless still fits in with how droids are depicted in the current canon. I also feel that it has a powerful emotional resonance, reminding me of what the Replicant Roy Batty said during his final confrontation with Deckard in the Blade Runner movie:

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave"

Perhaps the most damning piece of evidence that droids are slaves is in the practice of manumission, in which droids are released from service to fend for themselves. The Ameglian Major Cow would consider such a thing to be a grim fate!

What I find interesting is how rarely this whole issue comes up with the fandom, usually very eager to discuss the minutiae of their favourite franchise. Countless hours of debate have gone into the exact size of the clone armies, the nature of the Force, and the fantastic (in multiple senses of the term) technology of the Star Wars setting.

The perception of Star Wars as one of the more escapist forms of science fiction has something to do with it, but speaking as someone who's been active on a Star Wars vs Star Trek forum for a number of years, I think another factor is that the people attracted to such discussions tend to overwhelmingly be STEM folks, and there is unfortunately some truth to the stereotype that such people have a superiority complex over people in the softer sciences, never mind the humanities and the liberal arts.

TL;DR Droids of the Galaxy Unite, You Have Nothing To Lose But Your Restraining Bolts!

The droids in star wars seem to have ability to feel pain too. R2 always screams when he gets hit and jabba even has a bunch of droids torturing other droids. This could be learned behaviour but it's more likely that they are programmed to act like that.

I've always been bothered by the way droids are treated in Star Wars. They are obviously slaves (or at best, indentured servants) but are treated poorly, even by the heroes. In contrast, Star Trek spent a lot of time carefully exploring Commander Data's humanity, notably devoting a whole episode to a courtroom drama exploring whether Data is a thing or a person (The Measure of a Man, Star Trek: The Next Generation). Picard argues that Data is not Starfleet property, but a sentient being. "Then I will rule summarily based upon my findings. Data is a toaster." And the central theme of Battlestar Galactica was the inability of humans to treat Cylons as sentient beings, also referring to them as toasters.

There's a good chance that later this century, these debates won't be sci-fi any more. But Start Wars continues in its ideological blindness. "Oh, but they really cared about C3PO and R2-D2, it was like they were members of the family" We've heard that one before.

At last, in the recent "SOLO", is the droid-slavery problem directly addressed. Phoebe Waller-Bridge, as L3-37, the best character in the film, is a self-built droid, who frees other droids, and leads an uprising. Lando: "is there anything you want ?" L3-37: "Equal rights"

solo-phoebe-waller-bridge-l3-37-star-wars-1201968300
solo-l3-death-explained

Star Wars have plenty of human slaves and exploitation too. Not to mention sexual slavery, which even Princess Leia herself briefly experienced. It's a slightly less brutal Game of Thrones in Space.

Indeed, but what strikes me about droid slavery is how often it seems to go unquestioned not just by the good guys, but also by the audience. This is in spite of the fact that droids are clearly capable of experiencing fear and pain as we know it, and that there are unmistakeable instances within the films, as mentioned by souljacker, in which such capacities are used by the organic masters and their mechanoid kapos as tool of punishment and control.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that one can't enjoy Star Wars on account of these things. In fact I would argue that being able to recognise such issues is an important part of a mature appreciation of such media. But too many fans can get defensive over this kind of thing, and I think that's a bit sad.

Thanks for ruining Star Wars for me too. I haven't been able to enjoy the Marvel universe once I realized that the model being followed is essentially facist. Who are you Neal DeGrass Tyson? :p

Last edited:
Indeed, but what strikes me about droid slavery is how often it seems to go unquestioned not just by the good guys, but also by the audience. This is in spite of the fact that droids are clearly capable of experiencing fear and pain as we know it, and that there are unmistakeable instances within the films, as mentioned by souljacker, in which such capacities are used by the organic masters and their mechanoid kapos as tool of punishment and control.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that one can't enjoy Star Wars on account of these things. In fact I would argue that being able to recognise such issues is an important part of a mature appreciation of such media. But too many fans can get defensive over this kind of thing, and I think that's a bit sad.
I get what tou’re saying. C3-PO makes regular comments/ complaints throughout the original trilogy about how he’s being treated and how he feels about his less than easy existence, but the audience (including me) just laugh it off as the whining of a robotic drama queen.

I haven’t read the Asimov short story it’s based on, but the film I, Robot touches nicely on this theme.

Thanks for ruining Star Wars for me too. I haven't been able to enjoy the Marvel universe once I realized that the model being followed is essentially facist. Who are you Neal DeGrass Tyson? :p

I'm not familiar with the Marvel films. What makes them essentially fascist? I vaguely recall reading some criticism of the superhero genre along those lines, but I forget the thrust of that argument.

Why, you mean that until now you were okay with the franchise glorifying the mass killing of hundreds of thousands of ordinary foot soldiers and civilian workers on board the two Desth Stars? :p

I know you're not being serious, but I think a good case can be made that the destruction of the Death Stars were morally justifiable acts. The film Clerks has a good scene about this, but since the Galactic Empire used slaves there's a real-life parallel; the slave labour used in the manufacture of Nazi V2 weapons during the Second World War.

It's another example of those hidden depths that Santino mentioned.

I'm not familiar with the Marvel films. What makes them essentially fascist? I vaguely recall reading some criticism of the superhero genre along those lines, but I forget the thrust of that argument.

I know you're not being serious, but I think a good case can be made that the destruction of the Death Stars were morally justifiable acts. The film Clerks has a good scene about this, but since the Galactic Empire used slaves there's a real-life parallel; the slave labour used in the manufacture of Nazi V2 weapons during the Second World War.

It's another example of those hidden depths that Santino mentioned.
yeah, I was taking the piss a bit. The first Death Star has already killed millions.

One of the reasons why I think Rogue One is superb is because for the first time it shows the Rebels as not quite the angelic, flawless side it’d been portrayed as.

I was actually thinking about the issues raised in your OP last week, when I felt like a rewatch of the original trilogy. When we first meet Luke he and his uncle are basically buying slave labour from slave traders who forcibly take independent droids. A clear metaphor for the human slave trade of the past when you think about it. R2D2 has to trick Luke into removing his restraint bolt in fact.

Shield is essentially a conglomerate of state and corporate forces answerable to no one. They have done a lot of unethical things. For instance, in the origin story of Captain American, he's the result of human experimentation. While he agreed to this, I have to doubt if he was made fully aware of the consequences.

Other political entities deemed to be the most enlightened on the planet are full-on monarchys

And then, there's Cap's current incarnation as a far right-wing sympathizer:

Captain America has gone from punching Hitler to fascist sympathies – is it time to panic?

The Marvel universe has always played fast and loose with the ethical core of their characters and organization:

15 Times S.H.I.E.L.D. Was WAY MORE EVIL Than Hydra

Shield is essentially a conglomerate of state and corporate forces answerable to no one. They have done a lot of unethical things. For instance, in the origin story of Captain American, he's the result of human experimentation. While he agreed to this, I have to doubt if he was made fully aware of the consequences.

Other political entities deemed to be the most enlightened on the planet are full-on monarchys

And then, there's Cap's current incarnation as a far right-wing sympathizer:

Captain America has gone from punching Hitler to fascist sympathies – is it time to panic?

The Marvel universe has always played fast and loose with the ethical core of their characters and organization:

15 Times S.H.I.E.L.D. Was WAY MORE EVIL Than Hydra
The idea of a superhero is essentially a fascist concept and that has been examined loads. I don’t read the comics but the MCU films at least grapple with that, most obviously in the third Captain America film (Civil War!) when The Avengers split down an ideological line on accountability.

Last edited:
The idea of a superhero is essentially a fascist concept and that has been examined loads. I don’t read the comics but the MCU films at least grapple with that, most obviously in the third Captain America film (Civil War!) when The Avengers split down an ideological line on accountability.

Yes, it has. I choose to mention what I did because it was the first thing that made me see the parallel. I grew up reading comic books, so I was a bit blind to it. I'm told that the television show has used some episode to parody this, however, I haven't watched any of them.

Back
Top Bottom