Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spain anti-politics protests

249716_10150188711350940_567110939_7374293_5442382_n.jpg

thing is, you can the media narrative even in that video above, entitled "field battle between mossos and indignados". Clear pictures of police beating up peaceful protesters - total doublethink.

thing is, you can the media narrative even in that video above, entitled "field battle between mossos and indignados". Clear pictures of police beating up peaceful protesters - total doublethink.

Yep, and this headline from the Guardian.

Spanish protesters clash with police over clean-up

......with the sub-heading:

Violence breaks out around Barcelona's Plaça de Catalunya, the first trouble after 12 days of protests

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/27/spanish-protesters-clash-with-police?CMP=twt_gu

What a nasty stupid thuggish attack!

I can't see what the thugs think will be gained by attacking peaceful demonstrators. If the protestors had made the mistake of not opting for a peaceful way of protesting, the police might have got away with their thuggery being seen as necessary or justified - but that's just not the situation.

I can't see what the thugs think will be gained by attacking peaceful demonstrators. If the protestors had made the mistake of not opting for a peaceful way of protesting, the police might have got away with their thuggery being seen as necessary or justified - but that's just not the situation.
You expect a public outcry against the police violence?

Apologies to non facebookers.

Also an event this sunday in Trafalgar Square.

Sunday at 18:00 - Monday at 03:00

trafalgar square LONDON

SPREAD THE WORD

PEOPLE IN EUROPE WAKE UP,
LETS MAKE A BETTER LIFE
LETS TALK , LETS MEET, LETS CHANGE EVERYTHING

Thousands of Greeks have invaded Tuesday Syntagma Square in central Athens, at the call of the collective "indignant" that protests on the Spanish model, via social cons austerity measures that hit the country , mired in recession.The collection, inspired from the Puerta del Sol in Madrid, was organized via the Internet, including the Facebook network, in one word "the outrage", which brings together the right and left.
On the square, a few slogans, like "thieves" or "kleptocracy," were shouted against the government, despite a slogan vigil.
Typically, parades, highly organized and supervised by the unions, are announced in advance and collect almost always the same people. They often give rise to violence, become almost ritual between autonomous or anarchist groups who challenge the established order and the police.

WAKE UP

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=151970051540265

Looks like there are attempts being made to get things going in cities all over Europe on the same day/ night.

Just come back from Plaça de Catalunya and it was rammed with all sorts. Wasn't much going on bar sporadic clapping, cheers etc. Seemed to be quite a few people turning up with rollmats and there are some pretty nifty tree house things.

2011-05-27 20.02.14.jpg

There were no mossos around and only a couple of Guardia Urbana directing traffic away at the edges of the square. I did see quite a few mossos vans parked up half a mile or so away though.

I was in Plaza Catalunya tonite from 7 till 8 and there before at lunchtime where I had some free sandwiches and participated in squeezing out some unwelcome TV cameras by mobbing them. After that everyone stood around talking about media manipulation and lies, (as you do in the street with complete strangers on a friday afternoon). At lunchtime perhaps 3000 people but by 8 nearly 12,000 and more coming when I left. People painted their hands different colours and clapped occasionally. Lots of flowers and even kids and babies present. Health workers mingled in coming from a demo earlier on further down by the port.

The Mossos on the orders of the politicians have just politicised people more. There are crusties (in trees, groan) but most people are normal and of different ages, as the cuts are for everyone.

I think the police action has backfired as the reaction has been to motivate people to get back to the square in numbers.

The main upset for me was seeing how the municipal cleaning brigade had done such dirty work, chucking computers, laptops and webcams etc into a skip as though it were rubbish. They are scab bastards who deserve a slap. Compare them to the firebrigade and bus drivers who came down during the week to show support.

Massive Flickr album

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acampadabcnfoto/sets/72157626817385780/

You expect a public outcry against the police violence?

There is an outcry and it's good to see that the thuggery has not cowed people. In Barcelona thousands of people are doing the white hands thang that they did against ETA's campaign of murder.

I've been drinking in London this evening and the only Spaniard I have spoken to is a madrileño who is doing very well and so isn't exactly an unemployed camper in Puerta del Sol. He's earning a lot of money in London at the moment. He - rightly, I think - expects lots more people on the streets tomorrow as a result of the stupid thuggery in Barcelona.

There is an outcry and it's good to see that the thuggery has not cowed people. In Barcelona thousands of people are doing the white hands thang that they did against ETA's campaign of murder.

I've been drinking in London this evening and the only Spaniard I have spoken to is a madrileño who is doing very well and so isn't exactly an unemployed camper in Puerta del Sol. He's earning a lot of money in London at the moment. He - rightly, I think - expects lots more people on the streets tomorrow as a result of the stupid thuggery in Barcelona.

Just browsed the mainline spanish press. El Pais, El Periodico and La Vanguardia all going with Police Brutality headlines..

In a survey last week 44% of protesters in Madrid had jobs, 27% students...

Catalan police beat Barcelona protestors

Washington Post said:
Washington Post: Spanish protests turn violent, 121 injured

spainviolent.JPG

Police officers use their batons to disperse demonstrators during clashes in Barcelona, Friday, May 27, 2011.
The protests across Spain over the past two weeks to demand jobs, economic equality, and “real democracy” turned violent Friday for the first time.

Officials say 121 people were injured in Barcelona as protesters clashed with police officers clearing a makeshift camp. The police had previously told protesters the square had to be cleared so that cleaning services could move in to remove debris.

Catalonia regional Interior Ministry spokesman Felip Puig said 37 police were also injured. He did not say how many people had been arrested.
Aitor Aguirre, a 32-year-old freelance photographer who has attended the protests in Madrid during the past few weeks, said police cracked down because they were worried about the highly-anticipated soccer match between F.C. Barcelona and Manchester United Saturday.

“The police [are] trying not to let people in such numbers be on the streets... just in case.”

What can be done to help the Spanish protestors?

I am guessing that if the politics of Catalonia is anything like the politics of Scotland, the politicians gain a lot of support from being seen as the best friend of the football fans and other sporting fans. Politicians like to be seen at big matches.

Now, the Barcelona fans have a very good reputation as people-power fans who own and control their own football club, have very enlightened politics, profits going to good causes. Many Barcelona managers can go into politics.

Barcelona is not just a football club it is a political force.

Therefore the fear from politicians is that the football fans would mingle with the protestors and join the revolution.

Since the football fans are the politicians' power-base once they lose the football fans, they would be finished politically.

"Finished politically" doesn't mean "finished militarily" because as we know the state can ignore politics and impose a police state, this is called "fascism" and the people of Spain know this well from their history under the fascist general and dictator Franco.

So my guess is that is why the government ministers decided to send the riot police in to clear the squares and felt they could not take a chance of letting the revolution grow.

What should be the protestors response?

Well not sit there like sheep and get hit. Initially you need to move out of the way of the truncheons!

Next the protestors need to stiffen their demands - certainly dismissing the Catalan government, but it may be time to start thinking of inviting the military to join the protestors with their guns to function as a camp guard.

If the monarchy stands in the way of defending the protestors from the police state then the next demand is that the military defend you anyway and also require the king and royal family go into exile and support the establishment of republics for the nations.

If the military side with the protestors, that's it, the protestors win the revolution.

If the military stay out then the matter remains undecided.

If the military shoot the protestors, they lose.

Simple.

What can be done to help the Spanish protestors?

I am guessing that if the politics of Catalonia is anything like the politics of Scotland, the politicians gain a lot of support from being seen as the best friend of the football fans and other sporting fans. Politicians like to be seen at big matches.

Now, the Barcelona fans have a very good reputation as people-power fans who own and control their own football club, have very enlightened politics, profits going to good causes. Many Barcelona managers can go into politics.

Barcelona is not just a football club it is a political force.

Therefore the fear from politicians is that the football fans would mingle with the protestors and join the revolution.

Since the football fans are the politicians' power-base once they lose the football fans, they would be finished politically.

"Finished politically" doesn't mean "finished militarily" because as we know the state can ignore politics and impose a police state, this is called "fascism" and the people of Spain know this well from their history under the fascist general and dictator Franco.

So my guess is that is why the government ministers decided to send the riot police in to clear the squares and felt they could not take a chance of letting the revolution grow.

What should be the protestors response?

Well not sit there like sheep and get hit. Initially you need to move out of the way of the truncheons!

Next the protestors need to stiffen their demands - certainly dismissing the Catalan government, but it may be time to start thinking of inviting the military to join the protestors with their guns to function as a camp guard.

If the monarchy stands in the way of defending the protestors from the police state then the next demand is that the military defend you anyway and also require the king and royal family go into exile and support the establishment of republics for the nations.

If the military side with the protestors, that's it, the protestors win the revolution.

If the military stay out then the matter remains undecided.

If the military shoot the protestors, they lose.

Simple.

Any views on the Barcelona game tonight?

Back
Top Bottom