Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shots fired outside Houses of Parliament

They kept shooting squadies till the end. One of the main differences was the scale of the groups. The provos were embedded into a community so could pick from among the best to act as intelligence and for bomb making. They had a structure and organisation to plan political objectives and how to use their willingness to violence to achieve those goals.

McVeigh showed that a talented and motivated clique of individuals could achieve some of that but it was very fragile and collapsed with one or two arrests. It is my opinion (your mileage may vary) the violent jihadis are very weakly embedded into their communities, they have to be very surreptitious about plans and recruitment, they are very disjointed here in the UK. They cannot cultivate individuals with the skills of field craft, intelligence gathering and bomb making let alone build an infrastructure to support political goal setting and planning how to execute atrocities to achieve such goals.

They do not have the network of thinkers and doers to pull together a coherent campaign. It looks to me like individuals who are inspired by other acts of atrocity violence in Europe seeking a rationalisation to justify the "glory" of "jihad" by atrocity violence. The result is theologically and politically nihilistic, it is individuals emotionally and mentally disconnected enough from society to imagine a glorious suicide as an end in itself occasionally whipping themselves into enough of a fervour to "do something".

tl;dnr, lonely wack jobs not a community engaged in a struggle.

beautifully satirised by Chris Morris in Four Lions.

You imagine but have no idea...so just willfully hoping that coded messages actually saved anyone's lives in an attempt to what? Justify/Build a hierarchy of good and bad 'terrorists'? Odd.

No, arguably maintain the point of an action being political as opposed to being an act of simple murder. The key point being the interpretation and implementation of the words 'terrorism' and 'terrorist'.

A warning didn't save those that died. Therefore your hierarchy building doesn't work unless you are saying that some 'innocent' people deserved to die more because x, y, z.

No, certainly not. I don't think it is/was about a hierarchy, more a distinction of the operational intention. If there is a war then, within such a logic, there are 'acceptable' casualties, and it can then be a space fr argumentation in respect of blame etc.

Please don't think I'm looking to justify - perhaps understand or explain.

No, certainly not. I don't think it is/was about a hierarchy, more a distinction of the operational intention. If there is a war then, within such a logic, there are 'acceptable' casualties, and it can then be a space fr argumentation in respect of blame etc.

Please don't think I'm looking to justify - perhaps understand or explain.
Pointy head wank, "a distinction of the operational intention" blah blah. Never heard such vacuous tosh in all my born days.

Anyway...that's my point and I am not in any way legitimising anyone's political or religious beliefs that lead them to kill. I just fucking abhor even the sniff of double standards...I smell that shit a mile off.

Which also presents a existential/theoretical dilemma for me...come the 'revolution' when urban routinely will use the idea of putting others up against the wall for x, y or z reason... who will be pulling the 'trigger'? I have certainly met or come across a few that left me imagining I could/would.

A warning didn't save those that died. Therefore your hierarchy building doesn't work unless you are saying that some 'innocent' people deserved to die or their murders are more palatable/understandable because x, y, z.

Of course the deaths of some innocent people are more palatable than others. For instance, it would be more palatable to kill an innocent to save the lives of more innocents than it would be to kill an innocent for fun.

Back
Top Bottom