Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sainsburys staff given targets to promote scab tills

If something goes wrong with the till I just pick everything up and move to another till. If there isn't another free till and there's nobody about and it doesn't look like there will be anybody about to fix it either, I just leave the stuff there and go.

Life's too short to be waiting on technical support in a frickin supermarket.

It's pretty grim and I'm not going back.
I was getting a hook from B&Q at about 7pm one evening and they shut down the self-service tills so several customers had to file through a traditional till. I asked the manager why he had done this, and he replied, "Nobody likes those tills!"
And there are a lot of people who do struggle with them.

Also there's the issue of buying alcohol. I've had an alert go off at Tesco because I was buying chocolates that had alcohol in them. Maybe not enough to fill a thimble in the whole box, but I had to be age checked by a real person.

If something goes wrong with the till I just pick everything up and move to another till. If there isn't another free till and there's nobody about and it doesn't look like there will be anybody about to fix it either, I just leave the stuff there and go.

Life's too short to be waiting on technical support in a frickin supermarket.

I've done this before and a Tesco supervisor came over to tell me off! I just shrugged and carried on walking

M&S are worst, they don't even have an assigned person to watch the tills when it's quiet, so if you bring your own bag for example, you have to wait for a member of staff on a normal till to see your flashing light and ring their bell to summon a shelf stacker to come over and verify that your bag is a bag and not a pile of 20 sirloin steaks.

But I do like the story where the woman got so angry that she decided to abandon her shopping, but didn't want to leave the £1 coin in the trolley, so she asked for a refund for her £1 so she could leave the shop and her shopping, but the staff member refused.

So she tipped her trolley over, all over the floor, so that she could leave! :D

The bottom line... the real reason these tills exist is because of accountants. They want to cut costs and if that's at the expense of market share, then so be it.
Fucking corporate morons. :)

Outside of price, people shop at shops that are nice and easy to shop at. Customer service has been nose-diving in Britain for several years now.

There is an unspoken feeling of abandonment with automated tills. The customer is more likely to be narked by them... whereas a real till operator will get more respect. Machines piss people off... it's a fact of life.

Last edited:
Put expensive weighables through as carrots and bananas. It works. :)

A lot of the little stores (and some of the big ones) charge 18-20p per single fucking banana.

This drives me fucking crazy, you can buy 10 of em for a quid in most places! Profiteering CUNTS.

A lot of the little stores (and some of the big ones) charge 18-20p per single fucking banana.

This drives me fucking crazy, you can buy 10 of em for a quid in most places! Profiteering CUNTS.
The minisupermarket/off license next to my old workplace used to charge 50p for single pieces of fruit!

I have a colleague where I work now who manages to thieve serious amounts of stuff from our local Asda by going through the tills, scanning one thing and then just walking off with the rest. Normally one of us gives him a quid so that he can scan and pay for something and he comes back with food for everyone. He claims to do his weekly shop the same way.

I used the auto till today, only had a couple of items and the lad on the real till is usually quite sarky so I didn't miss his comments.

I was getting a hook from B&Q at about 7pm one evening and they shut down the self-service tills so several customers had to file through a traditional till. I asked the manager why he had done this, and he replied, "Nobody likes those tills!"
And there are a lot of people who do struggle with them.

Also there's the issue of buying alcohol. I've had an alert go off at Tesco because I was buying chocolates that had alcohol in them. Maybe not enough to fill a thimble in the whole box, but I had to be age checked by a real person.

There is also the issue of trying to use them when you have drank some alcohol

There is also the issue of trying to use them when you have drank some alcohol
I used the auto till today, only had a couple of items and the lad on the real till is usually quite sarky so I didn't miss his comments.

I don't drink and have a phobia of people, and yet I struggle to keep calm when using a machine. But that might be because I feel that I am being watched more closely on the auto-tills for security reasons. I also fear it all going wrong or losing a fiver in the machine and having a condescending person talk to me like I am some kind of technophobe incapable of pressing buttons.

I don't drink and have a phobia of people, and yet I struggle to keep calm when using a machine. But that might be because I feel that I am being watched more closely on the auto-tills.
Hmm.. I always take the receipt in case I am asked to prove I paid for the goods on the way out.

The receipt is good... but I hate being scrutinised and from the moment I enter a store, I feel like wearing a t-shirt that says, "I DON'T STEAL SHIT". Stop watching me! :)

The receipt is good... but I hate being scrutinised and from the moment I enter a store, I feel like wearing a t-shirt that says, "I DON'T STEAL SHIT". Stop watching me! :)
I don't really worry about people watching me, too busy trying to get the goods through the scanner.

Yeah and drugs too, like needing to be authorised to buy a pack of soluble aspirins FFS :facepalm:

The other thing that hacks me off about using the machines is that you often get loads of 5p pieces in your change - Sainsburys are the worst for this IME

Don't know if anyone has said this. Waitrose self scan is occasionally reviewed and rescanned by staff. As soon as they start the rescan it wipes the original scan. So they can't tell if you erred unless the person bothers to recall what total you got... Which they rarely do.

Put expensive weighables through as carrots and bananas. It works. :)

i put all fruit and veg through as whatever the cheapest seasonal fruit or veg is at the time & i also pretend to scan through a lot of stuff without it actually going beep. I am a bad person.

Was going to use a scab till to buy my lunch today but decided to go for a basket till as there was no queue. I had to put up with a tirade of conversation, featuring bad jokes such as when using the chip and PIN reader "press the button, which Jeremy Corbyn said he will never do". :mad:

Back
Top Bottom