Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sainsburys staff given targets to promote scab tills

They didn't address mine. At all.

Making points that address mine are key to further engagement. You patronizing twat.

I opened the world of the capitalist use of technology, the technical organisation of circulation, how the latter does/doesn't add to surplus value, the speed of circulation of capital - you gave me a story about your past and affirmed that you believed what i had attacked.

Sure. Okay. I don't really feel inclined to engage with anyone who calls me a twat. However if you read my first post you may find I was trying to cover similar issues right from the start. I tried to expand the conversation from ire directed towards a use of a specific technology in a supermarket to something broader. I also tried to do this without being patronising.

...went to the bank for the first time in a few months to find that the recent "refurbishment" has resulted in all the bank tellers sitting behind their glass windows getting nuked from orbit and replaced by rows of ATM-looking machines.....there was a sort of litter bin in the corner that I ended up having to drop my cheque into....

...went to the bank for the first time in a few months to find that the recent "refurbishment" has resulted in all the bank tellers sitting behind their glass windows getting nuked from orbit and replaced by rows of ATM-looking machines.....there was a sort of litter bin in the corner that I ended up having to drop my cheque into....

This is very much the future of high street banking. If you want to talk to a person you'll have to ring up a call centre.

...tbf there was a woman tapping away on a computer in a side office...I'm sure she'd have been only too happy to ply me with lots of their wonderful "products"....

This is very much the future of high street banking. If you want to talk to a person you'll have to ring up a call centre.

Unless you want a personal loan or mortgage of course then they're happy to meet with you around their breakout table and offer you a coffee.

Mind you if I'm just paying a cheque in I'd rather use a machine than have someone ask me if I want a a personal loan or mortgage.

who really keeps using cheques? whats the point? OK maybe for B2B and my nan who still eyes chip n pin with distrust but every one else should boycott them

Unless you want a personal loan or mortgage of course then they're happy to meet with you around their breakout table and offer you a coffee.

Mind you if I'm just paying a cheque in I'd rather use a machine than have someone ask me if I want a a personal loan or mortgage.

Loans are a bit different but mortgage services are all moving to call centres too. There is a Lloyd's call centre in Sheffield mostly dedicated to mortgages

Last edited:
Deliberately avoided one earlier, I tend to use my own bag and every. fucking. time. its a hassle trying to juggle it around or have to just leave it all unbagged until I've paid.

Also seems Sainsburys aren't bothering with contactless in most branches so thats another thing to juggle with sometimes.

Doesn't help all these tills are built differently and laid out differently, Waitrose and Morrissons have the worst designed ones for sure.

...tbh I'm still pissed off about all the lighthouse keepers jobs being automated out of existence..

...it looked absolutely fucking brilliant on Blue Peter...esp. for those of us with anti-social tendencies, haphazard attention to personal care & a dislike of dusting in corners when the thought of another Monday morning drive into work finally gets psychologically untenable.....

Deliberately avoided one earlier, I tend to use my own bag and every. fucking. time. its a hassle trying to juggle it around or have to just leave it all unbagged until I've paid.

Also seems Sainsburys aren't bothering with contactless in most branches so thats another thing to juggle with sometimes.

Doesn't help all these tills are built differently and laid out differently, Waitrose and Morrissons have the worst designed ones for sure.

Sainsburys ones mostly manage to deal with other bags now, although I rarely use the buggers if I've got more than about 4 items as the potential for it to go wrong multiplies with each item.

Morrisons ones are complete shit - you disentangle the pile of carrier bags, it then insists you 'remove the last item from the bag' - what fucking item?

And there's one very patronising twunt in the morrisons local (or whatever they call it) who treats you as if you're in the terminal stages of dementia if this happens and you seek assistance.

:flamethrower:

Are we 'allowed' to use internet ordered groceries delivered to home?

A checkout employee may have lost their job, but people are employed to pick and deliver my items, probably on a higher wage.

Sainsbury's ones don't seem to apply multi-buy savings right. I find you need to go to the payment screen then press go back for it to take effect.

Maybe they will automate doctors next? You'll go into a GP cubicle and sit on a chair that weighs you, put on a cuff that takes your blood pressure and draws a little blood. You'll then have to go through the process of describing symptoms to some AI machine with a voice recognition ability akin to the automated telephone cinema helplines.

"Did you say, headaches?" "Press 'A' for a repeat prescription!"

i love the one in my local co-op i take all my change up to it when im too embarrassed to take it up to the counter :)

I do this, but they've now made the slots smaller, so one coin at a time, takes donks.

The other bonus with the scab till is as many bags you like with no sneering, "Oh, would you like A bag?" bullshit.

Maybe they will automate doctors next? You'll go into a GP cubicle and sit on a chair that weighs you, put on a cuff that takes your blood pressure and draws a little blood. You'll then have to go through the process of describing symptoms to some AI machine with a voice recognition ability akin to the automated telephone cinema helplines.

"Did you say, headaches?" "Press 'A' for a repeat prescription!"

"I'm sorry, I do not recognise your medical exemption certificate, please insert £50 for your full prescription"

The other bonus with the scab till is as many bags you like with no sneering, "Oh, would you like A bag?" bullshit.

I went to the automated till in Marks & Spencers the other day... bought two scotch eggs for £1 and scanned in the item. I then grabbed one of the smaller bags from a plastic bag dispenser and the machine alerted me to this fact, "Oh, I see that you have taken a plastic bag, which will cost an extra ?pence!"

I cannot remember how much the bag was, but seeing as I had no pockets and the eggs were my lunch that I wasn't intending to eat for about another half an hour.... a bag would have been nice. But I wouldn't pay a penny for a bag. So I shoved the bag back into the dispenser and pressed the button that says, "No, I don't want a bag!"

It won't be long before they're weighing up your BMI at these machines... "Oh, I see that you're morbidly obese, do you really want to buy the doughnuts?" "Press to confirm!"

:( :(

There's a Sainsburys Local near me which is virtually staff-free now.

They have two people running about stacking the shelves and a security guard and that's it - nobody on the tills most of the time, not even a lone person standing there helping people like they used to. If something goes wrong with the robot till you are screwed - you have to wait until one of the two staff passes by. But you can't just walk out with stuff because of the security guard...

It's pretty grim and I'm not going back.

Are we 'allowed' to use internet ordered groceries delivered to home?

A checkout employee may have lost their job, but people are employed to pick and deliver my items, probably on a higher wage.

Your point highlights the ridiculousness of avoiding automated check-out machines out of principle. Home delivery is much less efficient for the supermarket so one could argue the case that they are making a stand by ordering their groceries online.

In reality how you give supermarkets money makes next to fuck all difference. If there is any difference to had in what you buy it's in avoiding supermarkets where ever you can.

There's a Sainsburys Local near me which is virtually staff-free now.

They have two people running about stacking the shelves and a security guard and that's it - nobody on the tills most of the time, not even a lone person standing there helping people like they used to. If something goes wrong with the robot till you are screwed - you have to wait until one of the two staff passes by. But you can't just walk out with stuff because of the security guard...

It's pretty grim and I'm not going back.

Take a friend with you, friend talks to security guard about the iffy geeza at the back of the store, "Come on, I'll show you..."

You walk out.

Everyone's a winner.

Except THE MAN.

Back
Top Bottom