Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Security staff contracted by McDonalds soak the sleeping bag of a homeless guy.

These people are most often patrons of The Passage on Carlisle Place, one of Westminster's building-based homelessness services. The McDonald's was always (in my day) a regular sanctuary in the early mornings.

Always a tension between local businesses and residents and the street sleeping population round there sadly.

Based on what I can see on this thread, they're not working for McDonald's any more. Can't see anything on here confirming they're not working for the contractor or they're going to lose their SIA licences? Is that correct?

Based on what I can see on this thread, they're not working for McDonald's any more. Can't see anything on here confirming they're not working for the contractor or they're going to lose their SIA licences? Is that correct?

In general terms, where staff are supplied by a contractor, the organisation who holds the contract (in this case mcdonalds, or their franchisee) does not have the legal right to dismiss contractor's staff from their jobs, as they are not the employer.

they can say 'i do not want this person working on my contract again' - which sounds like what mcdonalds have done. they can take action against the contractor (company rather than individuals) if there's a breach of contract - if the breach is serious enough it could lead to that contract being terminated.

but only the employer (presume some security company in this case) can take disciplinary action against the employee. even twunts have some employment rights...

i don't know enough about SIA licences to say, but presume that would be up to the SIA.

The area in front of Westminster Palace and the adjacent streets still attract large numbers of rough sleepers. The pavements on Ambrosden Avenue behind the shops on Victoria Street, get hosed down in the mornings because they're used as toilets during the night.
"But if we gave the rough sleepers portable toilets and showers that will attract more of them. Checkmate, you bleeding heart libs" with a large slide order of "Well I don't get free stuff from the council and I pay my council tax"

The council could help the homeless to find homes, and any treatment they need before people become rough sleepers.

but only the employer (presume some security company in this case) can take disciplinary action against the employee. even twunts have some employment rights...

i don't know enough about SIA licences to say, but presume that would be up to the SIA.

Normally there'd probably be a phone call from HR on Monday morning, 'offering' some Diversity, Inclusion and Human Rights training. Depending on the outcome of that, the next license renewal could be a challenge.

Still, now the internet is involved who the hell knows how it'll go. Any of these people could be a minor influencer by the end of next week.

The best person to answer queries about the specific incident which started the thread, or McDonald's apparent policy of throwing water over rough sleepers generally (referenced above) is probably Alistair Macrow , who was appointed Chief Executive Officer for McDonald’s UK & Ireland in November 2021, particularly as he originally joined McDonald’s in 2007.

77779957-12747127-image-a-18_1699962845060.jpg

Alistair Macrow’s favourite McDonald’s menu item is the Quarter Pounder Deluxe. Anyone who wishes to ask him about this, McDonald's policy on rough sleepers, security contractor recruitment and vetting policy or any other relevant matter can simply write to him direct at Alistair.Macrow@uk.mcd.com.

McDonald’s most probably instructed them to hose the area down. Seems odd for them to just decide themselves to do it. Jet washing doesn’t sound part of the remit of security. Useful fall guys now to distance the brand from the incident.

I suspected they probably just decided to get rid of him, maybe he was being offensive and/or threatening or maybe they just didn't like having him there. Grabbing him and hustling him off is assault (he's not on McD's property), tipping the water over his head would be assault as well but you can see in the background behind the one trying to direct people away that the other one has got the cleaning bucket and is just splashing water around next to him in the no doubt full knowledge it would run down and he would end up sitting in it if he didn't shift. They're clearly trying to intimidate him but if someone had called Plod the answer would have been "Just mopping up spilled drink Officer" I would lay a bet that if Plod had been called it would have been the homeless guy they arrested not the two goons. The fuss isn't because of what they were doing it is because of the guy filming it and the two women giving them some earache about it. There were plenty of people walked past with barely a glance. I reckon the 2 guards will get posted elsewhere until the fuss dies down and maybe get some CBT sensitivity training as well but this whole thing is sadly going to get forgotten about in a few days at most.

I suspected they probably just decided to get rid of him, maybe he was being offensive and/or threatening or maybe they just didn't like having him there. Grabbing him and hustling him off is assault (he's not on McD's property), tipping the water over his head would be assault as well but you can see in the background behind the one trying to direct people away that the other one has got the cleaning bucket and is just splashing water around next to him in the no doubt full knowledge it would run down and he would end up sitting in it if he didn't shift. They're clearly trying to intimidate him but if someone had called Plod the answer would have been "Just mopping up spilled drink Officer" I would lay a bet that if Plod had been called it would have been the homeless guy they arrested not the two goons. The fuss isn't because of what they were doing it is because of the guy filming it and the two women giving them some earache about it. There were plenty of people walked past with barely a glance. I reckon the 2 guards will get posted elsewhere until the fuss dies down and maybe get some CBT sensitivity training as well but this whole thing is sadly going to get forgotten about in a few days at most.

Just be found a different shift possibility “of be aware of people filming “if your hassling dossers🙄 private’s security and sensitivity.

Nobody wants a homeless person outside their store at best it’s hardly inviting at worst their an offensive git and while one might not be trouble but a few more turn up and it will get worse.

Just be found a different shift possibility “of be aware of people filming “if your hassling dossers🙄 private’s security and sensitivity.

Nobody wants a homeless person outside their store at best it’s hardly inviting at worst their an offensive git and while one might not be trouble but a few more turn up and it will get worse.
Then do something about homelessness like, ooh I dunno, affordable housing, improvements in the education system for vulnerable people, decent employment prospects, better social services.
Just an idea...

no profit in that is there 😢 Although crapita* * there are other shitbags mulitnationals out there will gladly take millions to fail to achieve anything useful:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom