Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sainsburys staff given targets to promote scab tills

Curiously the mini M&S outside Victoria doesn't have any self serve scab machines. Maybe people expect that level of service if they're paying a premium on crisps. Their cider doesn't seem overly expensive mind. Having said that it tastes like re-branded Woodpecker.

eventually all shops will be staffed by robots. robots will load up robot vans to deliver food to empty houses. The aliens will come looking for fabled terra and see our mighty buildings and our clever robots and wonder 'where did the terrans go?'

The aliens won't come here, they'll send alien robots :(

eventually all shops will be staffed by robots. robots will load up robot vans to deliver food to empty houses. The aliens will come looking for fabled terra and see our mighty buildings and our clever robots and wonder 'where did the terrans go?'

Except they will have got rid of all the messy organic stuff and will also be machine intelligences.

I avoid using the self-scan tills, I'ld rather keep people in work.
Apart from that, those that do use then seem to need a lot of help - mostly the machines having problems.
Was watching - out of the corner of my eye - whilst collecting for charity recently.

I hope you were chugging and not one of those scab volunteer charity collectors

Robots don't buy cars (or bogof offers either).
No, but increasingly they build cars.

And there are some undesireable jobs that have been automated, surely it would be better if humans did more satisfying and better paid jobs and we automated dull routine or dangerous and badly paid jobs for robots to do?

No, but increasingly they build cars.

And there are some undesireable jobs that have been automated, surely it would be better if humans did more satisfying and better paid jobs and we automated dull routine or dangerous and badly paid jobs for robots to do?
If it worked that way it would be wonderful. But it doesn't. If a robot can replace a pair of hands it is used to cut costs not decrease workload on workers*. My post was paraphrasing Henry Ford who didn't mechanise his production line as his business model relied on his workers buying his product.

*with the exception of some things obvs but not in this context.

If it worked that way it would be wonderful. But it doesn't. If a robot can replace a pair of hands it is used to cut costs not decrease workload on workers*. My post was paraphrasing Henry Ford who didn't mechanise his production line as his business model relied on his workers buying his product.

*with the exception of some things obvs but not in this context.
Robots are quite expensive.
The more expensive labour is, the more easy it is to justify replacing people with automation.

The challenge is to create both enough quality well paid non automateable work for humans and a workforce able to take on those jobs.

I think the robots will be clever enough to not bother with delivering food to empty houses. As soon as the last Terran dies they'll just declare a giant robot orgy.

stock-photo-9651937-robot-shopping.jpg

In no way at all I'm afraid fred.

I avoid using them.

I thought my points were clear, however if there was anything you didn't understand let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Alternatively if you want to engage in anything I said I'm happy to chat with you. However if you simply want to ask questions that you already know the answer for I don't think there's much point.

I thought my points were clear, however if there was anything you didn't understand let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Alternatively if you want to engage in anything I said I'm happy to chat with you. However if you simply want to ask questions that you already know the answer for I don't think there's much point.
They didn't address mine. At all.

Making points that address mine are key to further engagement. You patronizing twat.

I opened the world of the capitalist use of technology, the technical organisation of circulation, how the latter does/doesn't add to surplus value, the speed of circulation of capital - you gave me a story about your past and affirmed that you believed what i had attacked.

Do you ever add 'and I build robots for a living' to the end of that sentence?

:)

I have a series of CV-based sarcasm, culminating in "you know, robot security guards will be far more effective at tasering my arsehole than you".

These tills are just here to train us. Soon we will have trollies that auto scan all items as you select them.

An impression is being increasingly created that supermarkets are barely staffed. You could just take stuff....

Just saw on Newsnight that the main supermarkets may well be closing some of their larger stores because people are avoiding the one stop shopping experience today and preferring to pop into smaller convenience stores sometimes in a town centre. How the merry-go-round returns to the habits of the past .. :)

Tonight, desperate for mushrooms, we discovered the Tesco Express on the 67 route in Shoreditch has only scab tills. Passing up the opportunity, we got the bus to Stokie, went in a local fruiterers, and spent 13x what we would have spent. And got better mushrooms.

I give that to "the man", along with this little classic:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/17/tesco-uk-supermarkets-closure-industry-profit-growth-goldman-sachs

The Tesco at the Shoreditch end of Hackney Rd only has manned tills and is but a 5 minute walk from the 67 bus route. :(

Just saw on Newsnight that the main supermarkets may well be closing some of their larger stores because people are avoiding the one stop shopping experience today and preferring to pop into smaller convenience stores sometimes in a town centre. How the merry-go-round returns to the habits of the past .. :)

Where I live they opened a massive Tesco to a lot of vocal local resistance a few years back. No bugger shops there and they've been losing money hand over fist. It would be a huge climb-down for them to close it but there can't be many of the big stores pissing money away like this one, even with the zero-hours contracts and barely any staff.

I wonder what they'll do with the land if they shut it down..

Was in Lewisham Sainsburys today, there were six normal manned tills open - way more than usual. No staff frantically hassling you to use the self-service tills either. I wonder why?

Quick and easy and hardly any queuing up involved when paying for stuff. I wish it could be like that more often.

It would be a huge climb-down for them to close it but there can't be many of the big stores pissing money away like this one, even with the zero-hours contracts and barely any staff.

I wonder what they'll do with the land if they shut it down..
A rave? :hmm:

Why not campaign for better employment rights such as increased minimum breaks etc rather than barking up the wrong tree? Self-scan tills never hurt anybody.

Agree. I don't buy into the 'oh they are destroying jobs ethos' after all you could apply that principle to everything from computers to tractors to CNc machines, to a cordless screwdriver to a simple knife, jobs get created in other ways. The advances in technology are inevitable and has been with us from the year dot. Adapt and improve is the option we should all be pushing for.

Back
Top Bottom