Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rutherglen and Hamilton West (... eventually)

Labour should be happy with this result. It's a Lib Dem style by election victory and it'll do wonders for their morale locally and nationally.

Not sure how replicable the swing is though. Labour knew she was likely to go for some time and have been campaigning hard long before the electoral petition. They will have been able to spend loads of resources that won't be available in a normal general election. But they'll also get more resources and donations now they've proven themselves in Scotland against the mighty SNP.

Conversely that is bad news for the SNP. They've also been able to prepare and it seems clear their campaign technique is no longer fit for purpose. They spent £10k on Facebook /Meta ads, was that because they were desperate or has social media become useless? Will they be able to turn that around before the next GE? I suspect they'll struggle. They've got fuck all money and they're dispirited.

The new MP looks ok too? Got firm convictions despite London and Starmer having different views.

Hopefully they won't drag him down

As a minor footnote in lefty train spotting, if the SSP and TUSC had thrown in their lot together they could have beaten the main electoral vehicle for the populist far right at the moment, “Reform” (sic) but I guess there were some insoluble political differences ( difficult to imagine when you look at some of the people TUSC seem happy to align with in England… Williamson, cough)

What almost nobody is mentioning is that Shanks started disowning Starmer pretty much from the moment he was selected as candidate, has been claiming he is running under the banner of Scottish Labour not the Labour Party, and has frequently stated that his leader is Anas Sarwar not Starmer.

I think no one is mentioning it because it's of no importance - I rather doubt there's a single person who voted for him, but who would not have done so if he hadn't done the traditional 'i'm the local guy' speech.

There are Tories who distance themselves from whoever is leader this week, or from this or that policy, but it makes no difference, they'll broadly vote in the same way as all the others, they'll support the PM in confidence and supply votes, they are Tory MP's (or SNP, or Labour, or LibDems) just like 98% of all MP's.

As a minor footnote in lefty train spotting, if the SSP and TUSC had thrown in their lot together they could have beaten the main electoral vehicle for the populist far right at the moment, “Reform” (sic) but I guess there were some insoluble political differences ( difficult to imagine when you look at some of the people TUSC seem happy to align with in England… Williamson, cough)
They agree on defeating the Tories, it's doing it together they've never got on board with!

Yes there were a couple yesterday in the Russell Brand thread :(

I had a difficult conversation with a neighbour the other day, the neighbour is convinced that Brand is being silenced because he speaks truth to power.

Hard sometimes, you just have to bite your tongue. He is a 'next square' neighbour, whom I don't see that often, thankfully.

I mean, where the fuck do you start on something like that?

What almost nobody is mentioning is that Shanks started disowning Starmer pretty much from the moment he was selected as candidate, has been claiming he is running under the banner of Scottish Labour not the Labour Party, and has frequently stated that his leader is Anas Sarwar not Starmer.
All about the branch office thing. (And is that not called 'Scottish Labour' anyway?) Given how rubbish Sarwar is, what does that say about Starmer..?

I had a difficult conversation with a neighbour the other day, the neighbour is convinced that Brand is being silenced because he speaks truth to power.

Hard sometimes, you just have to bite your tongue. He is a 'next square' neighbour, whom I don't see that often, thankfully.

I mean, where the fuck do you start on something like that?
You start by saying that trial by media is always wrong, but the issue that matters is that the police and criminal justice system are so broken when it comes to dealing with sexual assaults and abuse that victims are more willing to go to the media than the justice system and that is an appalling thing that must be changed.

You start by saying that trial by media is always wrong, but the issue that matters is that the police and criminal justice system are so broken when it comes to dealing with sexual assaults and abuse that victims are more willing to go to the media than the justice system and that is an appalling thing that must be changed.
The trouble with that is that the logic signal can't be received down the rabbit hole.

Back
Top Bottom