Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russia vs Croatia (QF) - 19:00 - 07/07/2018

Les Green Derby

North Korea whatever happend to them
There's a great article out there somewhere about how they were adopted during their stay by people in Middlesbrough who turned up in their thousands to cheer them on. There was a rumour that after their exit that they'd been thrown into prison camps but happily that wasn't the case and their was a great documentary about them .

There's a great article out there somewhere about how they were adopted during their stay by people in Middlesbrough who turned up in their thousands to cheer them on. There was a rumour that after their exit that they'd been thrown into prison camps but happily that wasn't the case and their was a great documentary about them .

Yes ive seen bits and pieces about that, a great story

I have a 8mm reel of their game v Portugal in the quarters when they were 3-0 up at one time and the Victory(highlights) over Italy at Middlesbrough.

Ref to film i may try to find that , possibly You tube etc

That was an incredible game. I just watched it in a Russian pub. :( Its a real pity they didn't win imo but they did fucking well to get where they did. Everyone yelling 'Rossiya' on the way down to the metro just now, lol. A lot of very nervous looking cops, more than I've ever seen while I've been in Moscow. I think we have a good chance of beating Croatia.

the atmosphere was fucking intense, loads of supporters (who carried on singing 'Ross-i-ya' all the way back in the metro tunnels which were really echoey) weird disco music towards the end of the second half of extra time. when that last russian goal was scored people i met while drinking/smoking were coming up giving me mad hugs etc :D. it's a real pity they didn't win because people will be unhappy, but i don't expect anyone thought they'd get this far. its a great achievement especially since they were the lowest ranked team in the whole thing.

whew. that was intense. I think im happier with England playing Croatia. playing russia in moscow would have been intimidating and would be tough to crack - as well as clearly refusing to know when they are beaten.
Against croatia it will be more open - be a more entertaining game and england has a very good record against them. England's pacey attack will cause them problems as long as they can neutralise modric and co.
I wonder if fatigue will play a part - they've had two lots of extra time and pens - plus england had the day off against belgium. Might be crucial if it goes to extra time.

Back
Top Bottom