Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russell Brand: rape and sexual abuse allegations, grifting and general dodginess - discussion

There have been loads of people inside and outside the Police and CPS raising issues of how to improve things, but they've rarely gotten any sustained improvement because the resourcing isn't enough or the people involved move on.
because the organisation has no real interest in improving things, even if a few individuals do

in the end, when talking about police & courts etc, its got to be largely about evidence, hasn't it? And what counts as evidence.
Is a person saying that something happened ever enough on its own to bring any sort of case idk maybe it is, does anybody know?

Indeed, but Unwin appeared to be suggesting that going to the media was something that victims could do as if it was an alternate route.
Which it obviously generally isn't going to be.

There have been loads of people inside and outside the Police and CPS raising issues of how to improve things, but they've rarely gotten any sustained improvement because the resourcing isn't enough or the people involved move on.
It feels like this has been getting raised for a very long time yet here we are. 🤷‍♀️

He seemed to be on the verge of being a huge star around 2010, Hollywood movies and the marriage to Katy Perry. It would be interesting to know exactly what happened there. Why he never quite made it in America.

He seems to paint it like he made a decision to leave the glitz behind and go into full time Messiah work, but this recent business does suggest other possible narratives.

Careful, now..
yeah i know. But its true. There's no doubt a huge amount the police & courts could and need to do better but when thinking about the miniscule % which ever get to trial i think this part of it needs at least acknowledging, sexual abuse mostly happens behind closed doors with no witnesses no papertrail or fingerprints, it's not like other crimes. And the vast majority of people the ones who do not report what's happened at all they know this so whats the point.

More women have come forward to The Times:

In the last section of that article, "Russell Brand in his own words" excerpts from his memoirs, fucking hell 😡 There seems to be deliberate manipulation with possible sexual assault, assault and criminal damage. He admitted these things, in his own words in his own books; yet people are supporting him.

ETA archive link https://archive.ph/Ztrvo thanks editor

Last edited:
In the last section of that article, "Russell Brand in his own words" excerpts from his memoirs, fucking hell 😡 There seems to be deliberate manipulation with possible sexual assault, assault and criminal damage. He admitted these things, in his own words in his own books; yet people are supporting him.
The people who buy the books may find they can only wade so far through shit before putting the tome down

I'm guessing the police would have contacted him to see if he'd like to give a voluntary interview? Pending an arrest warrant

You will be shocked to learn that over the years Brand has repeatedly been linked to your old chums Narconon 😶
No, really?

Nice to see that Wikipedia has kept a record of the thieving bastards:

Accusation of website graphics design/layout plagiarism​

In January 2001, Narconon came under fire when they appeared to plagiarize the entire layout and site design of the webzine Urban75.com for their websites heroinaddiction.com and cocaineaddiction.com, among others.[179] The editor of Urban75 posted up comparisons of the copying, showing that Narconon had not even removed Urban75's hidden JavaScript code, unique to Urban75.[180] The Register noted the irony of this scandal, quoting a critic who wrote, "Scientology has sued countless individuals and organizations putatively [sic] for 'copyright violation' and the organization claims loudly that they're at the 'forefront of protecting proprietary information on the Internet'."[181]

That Solzhenitzyn (sp?) quote at the end, though - what a weird thing to include.

It feels like this has been getting raised for a very long time yet here we are. 🤷‍♀️

In the Met's case its either three or four goes at reform in the past twenty years, at least one of which (the brief period when there was a dedicated centralized unit that was solely focused on these offences) could have worked if they'd staffed it with enough people and gave them the necessary support.

Sadly the cuts intervened and they got amalgamated with another department, and then put back under local control when local policing was reorganized.

In the Met's case its either three or four goes at reform in the past twenty years, at least one of which (the brief period when there was a dedicated centralized unit that was solely focused on these offences) could have worked if they'd staffed it with enough people and gave them the necessary support.

Sadly the cuts intervened and they got amalgamated with another department, and then put back under local control when local policing was reorganized.
What do you think it would look like if we had a good, fit for purpose system, in the police & the courts? Specifically, what sort of 'evidence' would you need to bring a prosecution in these cases, or would victim testimony be enough.

One of my favourite cartoonists, ella baron

8556.jpg

Little thought experiment here:

You're a guy who just turned 16. The year is 1965. You idolise Blondy and fancy Debby Harry (30 years old). You blag tickets to see her/them in concert. She stops the limousine and beckons you inside. You have a wild night and exchange numbers

Are you:
- traumatised
- exhilarated

Your parents find out and explain the power dynamics at play and that you are in shock and something awful just happened. She calls again.

Do you:
- go to the authorities and file a complaint
- sprint to her location

---

Ask this to 100 guys and 90%+ would say yes. Ask this to 100 women (with perhaps Jim Morrison instead), a lower but still high proportion would also say yes
Are you for real?

I was paraphrasing so missed some nuance. This is from Wikipedia.

View attachment 392117
Wikipedia vs DPP...

Hmm . I don't think so

See one reason (and just one) why people don't report it. Going to his flat - at 16, no less - is evidence of complicity. The person above is unfortunately not unusual in this line of thinking.

Then they've got to deal with the police, many of whom have shown themselves to be misogynist in their "banter" at best, rapists and even murderers at worst. Who'd trust them with stuff like this? I wouldn't. Then if they relive their ordeal enough and manage to get the CPS to allow it to get to court, they have to wait at least two years where they can be violated again, and for what? A tiny chance of a conviction which even then might well not lead to any real protection for the victim from their attacker.

:facepalm: ⬇️

⬆️
alt text below
alt text below
anna wharton @whartonswords

When I was a young court reporter, I cannot tell you the number of rape trials I sat through where I saw juries acquit, only for the judge afterwards to read out the accused’s previous convictions for rape that the jury weren’t allowed to know about during the trial.

10:00 AM · Sep 18, 2023 338.4K Views

Society is extremely cautious about convicting men for rape. It is always a he said, she said. It’s so much easier to doubt the women involved than ruin ‘a good man’. To juries, rapists are the men who wait for us down dark alleys with knives, yet most rapists are men we know.

10:04 AM · Sep 18, 2023 47.2K Views

What do you think it would look like if we had a good, fit for purpose system, in the police & the courts? Specifically, what sort of 'evidence' would you need to bring a prosecution in these cases, or would victim testimony be enough.

For the Police, I think the ideal would be a centralised unit with the required resourcing and with everyone from top to bottom understanding their importance and how they can be supported. The least criticised and best performing bit of the Met are the homicide teams (MIT), and any long term improvement in how these offences are investigated is going to look something like they do.

In terms of judicial process its difficult to say - I don't think you could ever have a fair system on victim testimony alone, and there are going to be many cases where proving to a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that an offence took place will be difficult. Its only putting the best possible case before them that would help there, as well as the population generally being educated on what rape is, what rape myths are out there etc.

i know i'm being annoying, with the evidence thing. It's coming from a glum place of thinking about how the really hard part isn't reforming the police or fiddling about with consent law its how to deal with the fact that people like brand (and his famous supporters) they dont just get tolerated they're adored, admired and celebrated and rewarded, so it feels like what needs to change is so big.

ETA archive link https://archive.ph/Ztrvo thanks editor
Shit. How can there be any doubt about what he is? It's all there.

As previously said in this thread I’m more than happy to be corrected so please tell me what’s wrong with that and what the law actually is.
The law is the age of consent is 17 in Ireland.
There have been cases of 15 and 16 abd 17 yr olds who were referred to TUSLA (Child protection) because of sexual activity between them within that 2 yr age gap. TUSLA decided whether to investigate and / or call in the Gardai..but the Law as written stated very clearly thar the age of consent is 17 yrs

Not sure why you believe Wikipedia over stated law?? The fact that some cases are not prosecuted does not mean the law has changed.

Probably too obvious to need saying but there is often going to be corroborating medical evidence bruising etcetera?

The law is the age of consent is 17 in Ireland.
There have been cases of 15 and 16 abd 17 yr olds who were referred to TUSLA (Child protection) because of sexual activity between them within that 2 yr age gap. TUSLA decided whether to investigate and / or call in the Gardai..but the Law as written stated very clearly thar the age of consent is 17 yrs

Not sure why you believe Wikipedia over stated law?? The fact that some cases are not prosecuted does not mean the law has changed.
Agreed, the age of consent is 17. The Wikipedia wording is the same as the law. As I said, I was paraphrasing and missed the nuance, it is a defence not a change in the age of consent. It seems a sensible approach.

IMG_4824.jpeg

Agreed, the age of consent is 17. The Wikipedia wording is the same as the law. As I said, I was paraphrasing and missed the nuance, it is a defence not a change in the age of consent. It seems a sensible approach.

View attachment 392137

Yes...but why post it as if the law permits underage sex? It doesn't... It is a way to avoid prosecution in certain circumstances.

Anyway.. point made.

Back to Brand..and his despicable behaviour.

His agent has dumped him. His upcoming shows have been 'postponed' and his publisher has his latest project 'on hold'.

Lessons it would seem, have been learned.

Back
Top Bottom