Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Royal lickspittlery: the platinum jubilee edition

The disdain in Mishal Husain's voice when reviewing the front pages on R4 this morning was quite palpable:

"There's huge excitement about the Queen being in a golf buggy."

Saw thread title and assumed PM had just kindly made a safe holding area for the small number of royal lickspittles that were inexplicably on this site.

Eldest Q sent me this picture when she went to collect Grandson 1 from primary school
She captioned it "Just for you Dad, knew you would appreciate it"
Is this a universal thing at primaries or just at this one?

Attachments

• 20220524_171556.jpg
    20220524_171556.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 12
wasn't some mad VE-Day street conga in Cheshire a Covid-superspreader event at the end of the first lockdown in June 2020?

These weird 1945 cosplay events, staged by people who weren't even born then and who were supposed to rebel against their parents and that that whole WW2 sacrifice generation in the late 1960s, are just wild.

I can remember military anniversaries (Remembrance Day) being marked solemnly as late as the early 90s and, at that time, not really discussed otherwise. The people who actually lived through it seemed quite content to forget a dark and horrible period of their lives, and take quiet solace in what had come afterwards.

Now we have a generation who do their best to pretend they were there when WW2 happened or at least that they have a right to be offended when people ignore it & the instituions that used to be of much more interest, like the Royal Family. I hope when the current Queen dies the whole loathsome, taxpayer draining institution is consigned to the historical wastebin, where it should have remained in the seventeenth century. Similarly I think there's some point to Remembrance Sunday but ludicrous nonsense like cosplaying VE Day celebrations and trundling the one serviceable Lancaster over Lincoln Cathedral every year should be scrapped.

England will never re-discover its marbles as long as it lives in an imagined past, a sickly mixture of Merchant Ivory, Barbara Windsor and Arthur Lowe, as a means of avoiding the present.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments I really want to see the 76 plane flypast on Thursday 2nd. They fly over our street so I don't have to go anywhere and I really like planes.

But we'll be in Ireland.

And as much as I like Lancasters and Spitfires, they need to be relegated to airshows only and not "trundled out" at the drop of a nationalist hat all the fucking time. What was that NHS Spitfire about?

(FTQ. Just for the avoidance of doubt.)

Whilst I agree with your sentiments I really want to see the 76 plane flypast on Thursday 2nd. They fly over our street so I don't have to go anywhere and I really like planes.

But we'll be in Ireland.

And as much as I like Lancasters and Spitfires, they need to be relegated to airshows only and not "trundled out" at the drop of a nationalist hat.

(((spitfire))) :(

But we'll be in Ireland.

And as much as I like Lancasters and Spitfires, they need to be relegated to airshows only and not "trundled out" at the drop of a nationalist hat all the fucking time. What was that NHS Spitfire about?

Yeah I love old planes too, but…

You can buy your own life size Brenda to add extra fizz to your street party, I was wrong things CAN get even more tasteless and embarassing!

Ours will start at 15.30 apparently, I do wonder who will be there tbh, there are 17 houses in our close but most of them are now inhabited by couples. By my reckoning there are 38 people living in the close. Youngest Q who will be back from Uni on the Weds night so she will make 39 but she will probably want to go and hang around with other 20 year olds rather than a load of old fogeys most of whom are 2-3 times her age.

You can buy your own life size Brenda to add extra fizz to your street party, I was wrong things CAN get even more tasteless and embarassing!

Ours will start at 15.30 apparently, I do wonder who will be there tbh, there are 17 houses in our close but most of them are now inhabited by couples. By my reckoning there are 38 people living in the close. Youngest Q who will be back from Uni on the Weds night so she will make 39 but she will probably want to go and hang around with other 20 year olds rather than a load of old fogeys most of whom are 2-3 times her age.

From the same people... these are brilliant I must say :D

71pSTXWlz6L._SL1500_.jpg

This whole thing is upsetting my garden plans ...
I'm hoping to grow exotic climbers up the entire front wall of my house this year and I'm worried about adding this one to the mix :-

... though to be fair there's already red elsewhere and this plant is actually known as "Spanish flag" ... and any great effort spent in the garden might be assumed to be connected ...

minalobata.jpg

wholewallcropped.jpg

Last edited:
“Neil Diamond is a quiet Jew”?

There has been So Much Weird today. But that’s taken me aback.

Are they saying that’s the best kind?

I interpreted that to mean that he doesn't talk about his religion much.

But maybe I'm being too generous and there's a dog whistle I'm missing. I also don't know much about Neil Diamond.

I interpreted that to mean that he doesn't talk about his religion much.

But maybe I'm being too generous and there's a dog whistle I'm missing. I also don't know much about Neil Diamond.
I know enough to know he’s not my musical cup of tea. Although he wrote some bangers for the Monkees.

I wonder if anyone in a royalist neighbourhood has grown the darkest irises they could find, so that their black flags would be visibly in bloom during the jubilee shenanigans. :D

Back
Top Bottom