Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who will be the next prime minister (October 2022 edition)

Who will be the next PM of what's left of the UK?

• Sunak

Votes: 61 39.6%
  • Mordaunt

Votes: 44 28.6%
  • Hunt

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Badenoch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Javid

• Zahawi

• Johnson

Votes: 36 23.4%
  • Mogg

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Patel

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Obligatory comedy option: Braverman

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
What’s Johnson going to give as the reason for having definitely had 100 nominations but choosing not to let the members decide?

Yeah if someone like Braverman's seeing the writing on the wall it's looking like it's over. Though honestly the fucking cheek of her doing so while saying:

As though we weren't watching her digging her claws waaay down into that very muck while campaigning and as home secretary this month. Absolute scumbag.
I read that as meaning 'no parochial and nativist fantasies till the economy's a bit more stable and then straight back to it'.

Total (wiki): 357

Sunak: 147
Johnson: 63
Mordaunt: 25

Total: 235 | Remaining: 122

If Sunak gets ten more then only one other candidate is possible, with Braverman needing nearly three quarters of the available nominations to get there. I wonder if she'll bother on Monday tbh, but as she seems to think most of hers will go to Sunak anyway it's debatable whether her dropping out would even help Bojo over the line.
I thought if one candidate got over 153 then they automatically got the job and no contest on monday????

Problems for Johnson it seems, according to Sky news sources close to Penny Mourdant has said she has spoken to Boris Johnson and rejected a request to to back him, you could make this stuff up

I thought if one candidate got over 153 then they automatically got the job and no contest on monday????
Not afaik, though it may act in practice as such. If there's only one candidate with more than 100 MP endorsements by 2pm Monday it's a no contest, if two have the threshold then it goes to the members.

If Sunak gets ten more then only one other candidate is possible, with Braverman needing nearly three quarters of the available nominations to get there. I wonder if she'll bother on Monday tbh, but as she seems to think most of hers will go to Sunak anyway it's debatable whether her dropping out would even help Bojo over the line.
Braverman already came out in support of Sunak. Did you mean to say Mordaunt instead?

It's a fucker it won't be Johnson. Early election appeared nailed on if it had been (which is why it won't be, tbf). Sunak is going to try to cling on for two years, isn't he? :(

It's a fucker it won't be Johnson. Early election appeared nailed on if it had been (which is why it won't be, tbf). Sunak is going to try to cling on for two years, isn't he? :(
I reckon whoever gets it, SHTF long before two years are up, what with 'eye watering' cuts, rampant inflation, mortgages and rents soaring, to say nothing of energy prices with winter coming on.

Logically he needs to show his face but doesn’t want to actually get the big job back, the new few years are going to be economic carnage for whoever/ whatever is PM. I personally think we are now in a permanent state of post industrial recession. That’s kinda another discussion entirely but the crux is that things are not going to bounce back to what people may expect.he might pop up when things have calmed down a bit but surely he’s not thick enough to want to inherit his own legacy

Apparently this afternoon Johnson talked to mourdant and asked her to back him, but she told him to go bollocks - and that most of her backers would rather back sunack than him.
And in terms of things not going well for Johnson, the Guardian stuff about Bravermans comments also includes:

Braverman’s decision is significant as Johnson’s team had made a “big pitch” to her on Saturday, in the hope that winning her over would persuade fellow right-wing MPs to back him.

(in the context of the following which probably already got mentioned here somewhere)

In a damning verdict on the prospect of Johnson returning as prime minister, Suella Braverman has said the party “cannot indulge in parochial or nativist fantasies”.

She warned fellow Tory MPs not to be “naive” when deciding who to nominate in the contest.

The fact that our news has been wall to wall Boris and that the BBC and others rushed to repeat his friend's lie about having reached 100 before backing down and adding 'allegedly', if there was any sanity left that should get looked at but it won't.

Total (wiki): 357

Sunak: 147
Johnson: 63
Mordaunt: 25

Total: 235 | Remaining: 122

If Sunak gets ten more then only one other candidate is possible, with Mordaunt needing nearly three quarters of the available nominations to get there. I wonder if she'll bother on Monday tbh, but as she seems to think most of hers will go to Sunak anyway it's debatable whether her dropping out would even help Bojo over the line.
Aye. Looks like Sunak unopposed by tomorrow.

Their electoral chances will depend on the water which will have gone under the bridge between now and then.
Covid gone, but Brexit is never going away.

Back
Top Bottom