Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who will be the next prime minister (October 2022 edition)

Who will be the next PM of what's left of the UK?

• Sunak

Votes: 61 39.6%
  • Mordaunt

Votes: 44 28.6%
  • Hunt

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Badenoch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Javid

• Zahawi

• Johnson

Votes: 36 23.4%
  • Mogg

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Patel

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Obligatory comedy option: Braverman

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
That bit yesterday when his campaign announced to everyone that he had the 100, that was pretty stupid wasn’t it. Means he’ll probably have to say that for some reason he’s decided not to let the members choose him.
Yes, appears to totally backfired, with the effect of making him look weaker than he might have,

I think the bullshit about his numbers was also to try and give himself some bargaining power when he met with Sunak. Looks like he cut short his holiday for nothing - other than to be humiliated. Such a shame. Also I saw some poll of tory members that puts him ahead of Sunak - but not by a huge amount - so definitely not guaranteed he'd win if he managed to get on the ballot.
Still - its amazing that any mps who are not mad nads or rees mogg thought is would be a good idea to bring him back. Just shows how utterly fuckwitted and divorced from reality so many of them are.

Yeah if someone like Braverman's seeing the writing on the wall it's looking like it's over. Though honestly the fucking cheek of her doing so while saying:
We cannot indulge in parochial or nativist fantasies.
As though we weren't watching her digging her claws waaay down into that very muck while campaigning and as home secretary this month. Absolute scumbag.

If this caller is indicative of the Tory electorate as a whole then Rishi as leader would lose any GE

Living where I do I forget how foul it is in the heartlands.
(Yes I know LBC is London based)

That caller is representative of 30k tory members, not the electorate as a whole

That caller is representative of 30k tory members, not the electorate as a whole

We thought that about the referendum too.

I‘m full of gloom about all this, while clinging to some small ember of hope that I’m wrong.

If those who pull the levers have any clout Johnson will not stand and cannot win. But we seem to be through the looking glass at the moment and I fear it will just play out along these terrible lines now.

I am wondering how the 1922 are going to check the nominations.

IIRC there are 380 Cons MPs. Is the 1922 going to call them all up and ask them to make a nomination? In which case 3 people could get more than 100 and go to the members in which case Boris could win.

What I am thinking is do all the 380 have to nominate someone?

IIRC there are 380 Cons MPs. Is the 1922 going to call them all up and ask them to make a nomination? In which case 3 people could get more than 100 and go to the members in which case Boris could win.

380 there is only 357 Tories MPs due by election loses and the suspensions of Burn and pincher

As ever, I'm not a party member so don't fully understand the rules, but I thought that the nominations had to be on paper, and names (possibly with a few exceptions like the party whips or something) made public.

i thought if 3 got past 100 nominations, then the plan is an MP's vote to get it down to the last two, and those two will then go to a member's vote unless one of those two pulls out / gets assassinated or something

wouldn't have thought anyone could force them to if they don't want to. not sure what the political implications would be, though

As ever, I'm not a party member so don't fully understand the rules, but I thought that the nominations had to be on paper, and names (possibly with a few exceptions like the party whips or something) made public.
According to ITV news...
Hopefuls will need to have secured the backing of more than 100 MPs. The names of each candidate's proposer and seconder will be published, the other 98 names will not.

The nominators will have to declare their nomination to Brady and the 1922 Committee, even if their names aren't made public, so Johnson (or anyone) can't simply claim to have passed the threshold on the basis of who he claims supports him.

It's possible that some of those publicly announcing who they're intending to nominate may be lying, or may change their mind before the deadline tomorrow, but I don't think this is likely to be hugely significant.

Johnson supposedly hates to lose and hates rejection, so I wouldn't be surprised if he withdraws at the last minute before the announcement by Brady if he thinks he hasn't made 100, because if he does that we'll never know how many he had. I can't imagine him risking Brady read out e.g. "Johnson 93".

One of his cheerleaders has been quoted in the Telegraph calling for the members to be consulted in the name of democracy and the very future of the Party. Clearly the Boris bounce has fucked up and they're now panicking.

Johnson supposedly hates to lose and hates rejection, so I wouldn't be surprised if he withdraws at the last minute before the announcement by Brady if he thinks he hasn't made 100, because if he does that we'll never know how many he had. I can't imagine him risking Brady read out e.g. "Johnson 93".

Or Three:

Mogg WR
Dories N
Johnson ABdF

Apparently this afternoon Johnson talked to mourdant and asked her to back him, but she told him to go bollocks - and that most of her backers would rather back sunack than him.

Total (wiki): 357

Sunak: 147
Johnson: 63
Mordaunt: 25

Total: 235 | Remaining: 122

If Sunak gets ten more then only one other candidate is possible, with Mordaunt needing nearly three quarters of the available nominations to get there. I wonder if she'll bother on Monday tbh, but as she seems to think most of hers will go to Sunak anyway it's debatable whether her dropping out would even help Bojo over the line.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom