Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rotherham child rape gangs: At least 1400 victims

1400 odd raped kids and your worried this is political and dodgy writing style???:mad:

Ffs corrupt and incompetant politicions safe from challenge because whats the alternative the torys?:mad:
Sorry racism doesnt hide what happen the abusers were brown although the council and police who were suppoused to stop this instead allowed it to happen.

The police have no excuse and whoever was in a leadership postion at the time in rotherham needs to be held to account as they had evidence and washed their hands.
I hate what's been going on. I don't think there is anyone around who doesn't. What I'm questioning is that people are seeking to make political capital out of it.

Thanks, Lurdan. You bring this down to earth. I meant that more impersonal language would be - um - more impersonal. It would seem less parti pris. You're right that focusing on the language is a distraction. Just feeling that all this is politically convenient.
I don't disagree that a more 'personal' or 'populist' (or if you prefer 'tabloid)' style of report writing could be very easily be misused. But the same is true of mandarin speak. That is partly what the oblique mandarin style is for (only partly, because it's also about mounting preemptive defences against legal challenge).

But I don't see any reason to assume that the Casey report is being dishonest about the culture it describes. On the contrary, taken with all the stuff that has already been written or broadcast about Rotherham Council it rings horribly true.

I hate what's been going on. I don't think there is anyone around who doesn't. What I'm questioning is that people are seeking to make political capital out of it.

Thats politics unfortunately. Rotherham labour party do deserve to lose power because they failed massively they were the establishment in Rotherham and didn't do their job.
Having councils that seem to be one party states is never a good idea.

Which is possibly part of the reason so many council employees appeared to be in denial - the fear that deeper examination would reveal complicity and/or participation.
I once worked in a warehouse where a lot of thieving went on, this in the days before computer stock control & the thieving was on a scale that could have put people in jail. Those of us that did not want to get involved knew what was going on & those thieving probably thought we didn't. Nobody not involved blew the gaff because at best we would probably have lost our jobs & at worst could have been implicated. So yes it could have been said that the employees not involved were in denial. Might a similar thing exist within council & police force? The UK record for whistle blowers is not good. NHS whistle blowers for example don't get their jobs back & with families to keep & mortgages to pay might have this been a reason for those on the periphery of this to pretend to themselves this was not happening?

People did try even cops and got mugged off disciplined move sideways or otherwise fucked about till they dropped it.:mad:
Even if they did try with zero support from above and with frightened and difficult witnesses it would be almost impossible.

It's awful even to suggest this but I will: is the Casey report politically motivated?

It's a worry given Casey's past history. She's certainly not been beyond bending facts to suit the desires of her political masters when they wanted her to (Rough Sleepers' Initiative, anyone?).

Statement from Rotherham Labour Group - Sheffield Star
We want to thank Louise Casey for her report.

Of course our primary concern remains the welfare of the survivors and victims of child sexual exploitation in Rotherham.

Since the publication of the Jay Report, the council has begun to take measures to improve the support for victims, bringing in new management, and to tighten licensing controls.

Sadly, as the report today makes clear, we have not been able to do enough, quickly enough.

In light of this report, the Council’s Cabinet announced earlier today that they take responsibility for the failings and are stepping down as Commissioners come in to Rotherham.

We welcome their appointment and look forward to working with them to improve services for all of Rotherham residents.

The council has today written to the Department for Communities and Local Government to ask the Commissioners to start their work as soon as possible, and to seek further details about how the new arrangements will work.

We will keep the public informed of developments as they occur over the coming days.

There is nothing further that I can add at this time.

Councillor Chris Read, Labour Group spokesperson.

Shouldn't really strip mine this sort of statement for sub-text, but I don't see any sign of unhappiness that someone else will be responsible for taking the shovel to the shitheap.

Should be kommisarrs :mad:
Chris read and others desrve to be shitting themselves on a hard chair in a windowless room while the peoples kommisar question them

The problem is like the one already showing at Doncaster MBC that even though government commissioners take the reins they will only succeed in moving the bullying, harassment and sexism under a different banner.
The local authority is still full of managers unfit for purpose, many are in positions of power and influence not through ability or qualification but by being promoted purely because of length of service. The attempt to recruit suitable and able staff from outside is usually a non starter because all other possible employees will not approach the job because of the tales of bad management, coersion and a I know better than you attitude that seeps through these boroughs like acid.
I also find it incredulous that the government only intervene just before a general election when an intervention if needed was last year.
Games again played for spaces at the trough.
The entire system needs tearing down.

Anyone here from Rotherham? It would be good to know how this is going down there. I can't imagine, really, but expect I'd be angry to have been let down by councillors and resentful of the Westminster satraps.

Chris read and others desrve to be shitting themselves on a hard chair in a windowless room while the peoples kommisar question them
Don't disagree with the sentiment but I suspect the one's holding the parcel when the music stopped are probably not the one's who were in charge during the years that this was getting out of hand.

The local authority is still full of managers unfit for purpose, many are in positions of power and influence not through ability or qualification but by being promoted purely because of length of service. The attempt to recruit suitable and able staff from outside is usually a non starter because all other possible employees will not approach the job because of the tales of bad management, coersion and a I know better than you attitude that seeps through these boroughs like acid.
Rotherham has actually shed a number of Senior Management since the publication of the Jay report - one or two pushed and others just getting out. I posted a link some pages back to an interview with the new head of Children's Services they appointed. He talks a good game but we shall see what if anything comes of it. Some people regard this sort of situation as an opportunity to make a name for themselves turning things round.
I also find it incredulous that the government only intervene just before a general election when an intervention if needed was last year.
Not sure I understand this line of thought. A Children's Commissioner to oversee Children's Services in Rotherham was appointed by Pickles last October. The Casey inspection was announced as soon as the Jay report was published. If Pickles had appointed commissioners to take over the whole Council without carrying out an inspection to support the case for the need to do so he would have been open to judicial review.

Much as I loathe Pickles I also don't see this as a piece of electioneering. As I mentioned a couple of pages back Casey's report was originally expected to be published much closer to the election but in fact he has done so within a week of receiving it. I don't myself see much overt party political point scoring in the way the decision to take over the Council has been presented (as distinct from the way it's being reported in some places). In fact I can't see this [ETA: CSE and Sexual Abuse] as an issue either Labour or Tories will be wanting to exploit in any obvious way because doing so carries serious risks of blowback. Different for the smaller parties of course.

More broadly I'm struggling a bit with the idea that the most important aspect of yesterday's events is their possible impact on the election.
The entire system needs tearing down.
Quite agree.

Last edited:
The attempt to recruit suitable and able staff from outside is usually a non starter because all other possible employees will not approach the job because of the tales of bad management, coersion and a I know better than you attitude that seeps through these boroughs like acid.
I always wonder about this. Whenever this sort of thing occurs & they say they are going bring in new people, where do they get suitably qualified people? Most people want to live reasonable lives & very able people normally have good jobs at somewhere they like living. I can't see many people wanting this sort of job.

I think they were attempting to tip toe round the issue which has made things worse when its exploded.
The casey report was meant to find poor work lessons must be learned yadda yadda yadda but its more holy fuck the whole things really fucked.
To be honest south yorkshire police and rotherham council are doing pretty good to be set alight at this point.:mad:

To clarify the situation with Rotherham Cabinet resignations.

According to a Rotherham Council Statement on Thursday two Cabinet members, Paul Larkin (Council Leader since last September) and Mahroof Hussain have resigned from the Cabinet and also as Councillors. John Doyle has resigned from the Cabinet but remains a Councillor. As originally announced (but slightly misrepresented in a lot of the reporting) the others have so far only given notice of intent.
The rest of the Council’s Cabinet confirmed yesterday (Wednesday) their intention to resign their positions as soon as transitional arrangements are put in place.

As yet it is unclear when the Commissioners (apart from the Children's Commissioner who is already in post) will be taking over. There is a formal process - technically Pickles announced that he was 'minded' to appoint Commissioners. Rotherham were asked to respond by 18th February before he 'announced his decision'. (There is no doubt about the outcome - this is all about warding off judicial review. In different circumstances a Council might mount a legal challenge to being taken over). In a statement on Thursday Rotherham's interim Chief executive said she had already
written to the Department for Communities and Local Government, urging them to confirm urgently who the five Commissioners who will take over the running of the Council will be and to ensure they are in place as soon as possible.
There will however be a period of time before Commissioners are appointed and installed.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the two sets of Council elections (this years which are going ahead and those also planned for next year). Along with any other Councillors standing down in May this will presumably see an end to the political career of former Mayor Barry Dodson who was charged last December with indecently assaulting a 13 year old girl in 1987. Dodson stood down as Mayor and resigned from the Labour Party last summer but is still an independent Councillor.

Milliband needs to read the report and anyone guilty in the report needs to be kicked out bfore they can resign form the party its not a political thing more a leadership thing you failed and you failed horribly now fuck off:mad:

BBC

Rotherham abuse scandal: South Yorkshire PC dies after car crash
A police officer understood to be under investigation by a watchdog in relation to the Rotherham child abuse scandal has died following a car crash.

South Yorkshire PC Hassan Ali, 44, died in hospital nine days after he was hit by a car in Sheffield on 28 January.

Mr Ali was being investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) over allegations made about him, the BBC understands.

He was not on duty at the time of the crash in Staniforth Road, Darnall.

A force spokeswoman said she could not confirm PC Ali's involvement in the IPCC investigation.

Coverage in the Sheffield star here

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/breaking-rotherham-sex-abuse-scandal-policeman-killed-1-7093216

A serving police officer at the centre of an undercover probe into the Rotherham child sex abuse scandal has died after being hit by a car, The Star can exclusively reveal.

PC Hassan Ali had been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission after it was alleged he twice asked a Rotherham sexual exploitation victim out on a date.

After a lengthy investigation over a number of months, The Star discovered four complaints were made against PC Ali to South Yorkshire Police by two members of the public.

The Star agreed to hold off on exposing his alleged involvement in the scandal after police advised us they were mounting an operation to monitor the officer.

But today it has emerged PC Ali has died in a road crash.

The PC, aged 44, was left fighting for life after being struck by a car on Staniforth Road, Darnall, Sheffield.

He was crossing the street at around 10.15pm last Wednesday when he was involved in the collision.

He died in hospital this morning, with relatives at his bedside.

Chief Constable David Crompton, of South Yorkshire Police, said: “All of our thoughts are with Hassan’s family and on behalf of the force I would like to offer my sincere condolences at this incredibly difficult time.

“PC Ali was a well-liked officer whose colleagues are devastated by what has happened.”

PC Ali was a neighbourhood policing officer based in Rotherham.

The Star understands had been placed on ‘restricted duties’, while the IPCC assessed whether to launch a full investigation into him.

One of the complainants, who is now an adult, said PC Ali had first asked her out when she was 17 and then did so again four years later when she was 21.

The woman said the officer had been involved with her case and was aware she had been a victim of sustained abuse between the ages of 14 and 17.

At the time he first asked her on a date, she had a one-year-old son, who had been born after she was made pregnant by her abuser when she was 15.

The woman said the officer’s behaviour had been ‘inappropriate and totally unprofessional’.

She said she told the police of his approaches in August 2013 when she gave a statement about the abuse she had suffered - but she claimed nothing was done to investigate her claims.

She said she had seen the officer in his police uniform and on duty a few months ago.

South Yorkshire Police last month confirmed an officer had been referred to the IPCC.

A spokesman said: “South Yorkshire Police has received four public complaints relating to alleged misconduct of one of our officers.

“The complaints were made by two separate people about the officer, a PC based in the Rotherham area.

“The force has referred the matter to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.”

The woman said she had asked the officer when she was a teenager to provide her with a picture of her son’s father for his nursery.

“He said I will get you a picture but you are not to tell anyone because I could lose my job,” she said.

“He said he had to go into files that he wasn’t authorised to go into. Then he fetched me the picture to my mum and dad’s house. He came in and my mum made him a drink.

“I walked out with him and he asked me out on a date.

“A few years after he asked me out again.”

She said she had said no on both occasions.

“It was inappropriate. He was a police officer who knew that I was being abused. It is totally unprofessional.”

The nature of the other complaints made against him are not known.

SYP are not happy about this, and have issued a nasty rebuke on their site

http://southyorks.police.uk/news-syp/chief-constable-responds-todays-media-coverage

Chief Constable David Crompton has issued the following message internally to all officers and staff following today's media coverage concerning PC Hassan Ali. He wishes to share this message with the public.

"I am aware of the concerns expressed by staff who have read the story first published online today by The Star newspaper following the tragic death of PC Hassan Ali.

"Whilst I respect the freedom of the press, I also wish to make it clear that I will be writing to the editor of the newspaper to express my concerns about the way the story has been handled."

Comments sections on FB and on news sites relating to this are full of really obvious cops.

Shame they didn't go after the perpetrators of child abuse in the same way that they go after miners/protesting OAPs/the child victims of systematic rape/journalists

If this is one of the officers referred to in a story in the Independent this week

This can't be true! The legions of copper commentators say how he was friends with people from every section of the community, was such a good Muslim, lowered his gaze whenever a female passed etc

I imagine for South Yorkshire Police 'not yet being investigated by the IPCC' is the gold standard.

There are police on a police forum and even on the Sheffield Star website justifying the predatory behaviour of the copper on the basis that the victim of child rape was 17 and so fair game. So a combination of accusations of racism and 'she is fair game' - how did we get to the point of thousands of kids being raped in the first place again?

Meanwhile...

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local...bly-low-standard-in-south-yorkshire-1-7093330

Policing of child abuse in South Yorkshire is still ‘at an unacceptably low standard’, a new report has claimed.

The latest damning report into child sexual exploitation in Rotherham accused Rotherham Council of being in ‘resolute denial’ about last year’s independent Jay Report, which found 1,400 children had been abused in the town over a 16-year period.

The new report also criticised police, saying: “The police’s historic attitude towards, and treatment of, victims has been unacceptable.

“Inspectors are concerned this attitude continues in the police to this day, with treatment of current victims remaining at an unacceptably low standard.”

The Reverend Dr Alan Billings, South Yorkshire police and crime commissioner, has now called on officers to ‘accept’ the findings of the latest child abuse report.

Fucking scum

Back
Top Bottom