Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Roots remake on BBC4 tonight 9pm

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
Roots - BBC Four

Trailer here: Trailer: Roots, Roots - BBC Four

The original series made a huge impression on me at the time. I was 12, and it informed my developing sense of justice immensely.

I have the box set on DVD and watched it with my kids when I thought they were old enough to explore the themes. And though it's a little slow at times for modern tastes, it nevertheless holds up very well. So I wondered what they could possibly do to improve on it: the original is still well worth watching.

I also worried that modern political standpoints might be imposed upon the source material, to its detriment.

However, the remake is on tonight, and I intend to give it the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it'll be excellent.

Yes, I remember watching the original and being very affected by it. I also remember a big stupid fuss and bother in the media when it was revealed that it wasn't a completely true story, rather based on events.

There were some harrowing, haunting scenes. I particularly remember the story of Kizzy.

Yes, I remember watching the original and being very affected by it. I also remember a big stupid fuss and bother in the media when it was revealed that it wasn't a completely true story, rather based on events.
Yes, Haley's book, upon which it was based, is a novel. This doesn't matter.

Wasn't very well advertised for such a high budget, all star remake. Bit of a shame I think.

I saw the original last year as I hadn't watched it for decades. By comparison this one is far more visceral and hard hitting. The anger, pride, fear and especially the shame they felt on the slaveship was really well done and quite moving.

Forest Whitaker is really good; great portrayal of life caught halfway between the brutalised slaves and the querelous slavemaster's wife.

I don't recall ever watching anything that was viewed from a slaves perspective (certainly not that focuses on their pre-USA life). It made me more sympathetic to kuta's life and it had me in tears in the final scene. Great telly.

In some ways it's unfair to try to compare the remake with the original Roots. The first was less a miniseries, and more a cultural phenomenon. It was unlike anything before or, really, since.

When I first heard it was to be remade, I admit I was dismayed. Not because the story of slavery has been told enough: it absolutely hasn't: apart from Roots, there has not just been nothing approaching its cultural reach, there just hasn't been any telling of the story at all. You can count on one hand the slavery films since Roots, and as for telling the story adequately - successfully - one? Two? Roots was aired two generations ago. A new mass market telling of the story of slavery is long overdue. My dismay was something else. First, sentimental. I didn't want the original messed with. It was such a huge part of my youth and political growth. Second, I wasn't convinced it was the right vehicle for today. I decided to put that to one side when I saw that LeVar Burton (young Kunta Kinte in the original) was involved in the remake. I wanted to reserve judgement. But having now seen two episodes, I can't help having a view.

And unfortunately I'm not sold on this version.

I can fully understand why they'd want to bring the story to modern viewers who missed it the first time round. And I get that this means updating the way it's told. Modern expectations are different. Something that had impact on 1970s TV screens does not necessarily have the same impact now. I also see why they changed the portrayal of Kunta Kinte. In the original, he was an innocent. He had the same determination, the same fierce dignity, the longing for freedom. But he was an unsophisticated country man from a small village. The new Kunta Kinte is from a city, he had plans to go to university in Timbuktu, and is more worldly. And I get why that was done. And I accept those changes. But there are also huge story changes.

Some of these I get. The sub-plot on the ship with the captain was excised. That's fine. The main story needs to move along more quickly for today's tastes.

But because I know the original so well, I'm left wondering why other plot changes were necessary, especially where these mess with the facts of characters' lives. For example, the original Kunta Kinte did not fight in the Revolutionary War. He did not have his foot chopped off as a result of that, but by as a result of his continual escape attempts. The brutal amputation in the original was the shocking culmination of the grim attrition of Kunta Kinte's struggle against the conditions of American slavery. It stood not just for his personal story as an African in a shocking New World, but as an allegory of slavery itself. In the new version, this attrition seems to have been swapped for quick fire events. Part of my resistance to these new facts in Kunta Kinte's life (him joining the Ethiopian regiment) is that very blurring between fact and fiction that Haley and the programme were able to sell. For me, these people are not just plot tools, the facts of their lives shouldn't be messed with. Kunta Kinte did not fight in that war. That's one thing, and I worry that anyone making the comparison between the two might therefore find the veracity undermined. But this too leads me to think that if this story is not fully suited to modern expectations, instead of repackaging it, they should be looking for other slavery stories to tell.

I'm also not convinced by the degree of force used by certain characters. I don't think Kizzy would have lived had she knifed an overseer in an escape attempt. Again, I can see the reason for it, but it doesn't sit right logically. She'd have been lynched.

The original had a huge impact. It was seen by everyone. Families watched it together. The next day at school everyone was talking about it. It was a cultural phenomenon. But a lot of that can't be repeated. TV is not the same now.

In the original, the slave owners and overseers were played by big names from family shows. It subverted the miniseries genre. This was part of its shock. It was a genius stroke. I'm not sure that can be replicated either. It wasn't just that it was "hard hitting" (and perhaps we've since become inured to "hard hitting"), it was that it was hard hitting in a place where that wasn't previously seen: the prime time living rooms of the vast majority of families.

The remake, successful though it may be as a piece of television, does not have that reach, that impact, that epoch-changing stature. It's more than understandable that the makers should turn to the original in order to begin to redress the lack of slavery stories. But it's also ironic that this dearth of slavery stories on television is addressed by resurrecting the only one there's been. We don't need one story, we need many.

I do see the need for a new Roots for this generation. I just think that perhaps it can't happen by remaking the old one.

Good post danny la rouge , but for people like me who have never seen the original and are in fact seeing this story for the first time, it's fascinating viewing. As I said previously, I've never seen a story being told from the slaves perspective (not that I can remember anyway) so it's new to me to feel the injustice the character feels and to feel his anger.

It's bloody annoying having to wait a week between shows though. I'm used to binge watching stuff these days.

I remember very little of the original, so this is a welcome chance to get to know the story well. The pace seems fast but that's probably deliberate. The brutality is shocking but needs to be seen, it's certainly not gratuitous. I'll stick to the end & hope that it's repeated in the near future on BBC1. Far more essential viewing that most of your primetime viewing.

Great last episode, I think they did a great job of it. Shame it seemed to go unnoticed.

I think their intention was to make it more engaging for a modern audience. Do you think it succeeded? I thought it a bit strange how they compressed the narrative in some places and dragged it out in others. I thought the final episode especially raced through the underlying history in such a way that it would be missed by the uniformed viewer. Reconstruction was completely omitted. The main characters had more "agency" than the original (eg Chicken George shooting the Black Code supporting son on the porch in front of the more liberal father), and I can see why, but I thought it strange that the long attrition and soul-sapping reversals of Reconstruction was just completely skipped.

I think they did succeed. It mattered more because it was more from the perspective of the slaves.
I thought the first part of the last episode dragged, but then it got going and for the first time didn't notice it being 90 minutes.
I don't remember there being so much of the civil war and abolition in the original series but I might have been pissed when I saw it [emoji849]

Back
Top Bottom