Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Remakes no one wanted.

You're right. It could be as good if not better, than the original. I mean it seems kinda unlikely but...
It does seem unlikely. But whether it's perceived as good or not, no reason why there shouldn't be remakes.

There's four versions of the Bounty story. I like each of them, but some are better than others. Quite welcome another version.

It could well be disappointing, of course. Would also welcome a sequel. What happened to Bly on return, what actually happens with Fletcher and the others on Pitcairn?

Back to Vertigo, which adore since first viewing, would love to see a version with Batman in it. Or a sequel where Novak's character comes back.

All blatantly ridiculous but fun. Nobody is being hurt or inconvenienced by bad remakes/sequels.

The shittest remake ever has to be Dad's Army. Should never have even been thought of and made cunts out of some very accomplished actors.

One of the best was The Departed, which made an exceptional film out of the Chinese made, Infernal Affairs, which does have a cult following of weirdos, but is actually shite.

Not just Hollywood. Michael Haneke remade Funny Girls, shot by shot, in English.

He said it was he wanted an American audience to see it and they don't watch foreign language/subtitled films. But, I think the kind of audience who are watching Haneke films are not going to be put off by subtitles. So it's a pointless remake IMO.

Great films though, either version.
Sometimes the same director remakes the film for Hollywood. Dutch director remade his own film The Vanishing and it was very much a Hollywood cast.

Spoorloos was a perfect film. The Vanishing was terrible. Absolutely pointless.

There's been a few remakes of I Am Legend, where most of the 'originals' were called something else - Omega Man etc. The recent US remake was not wanted, and the ending was so shit they had to release an alternate version on DVD which will become the canonical ending for the sake of the planned sequel.

Speaking of sequels no one wanted...

It does seem unlikely. But whether it's perceived as good or not, no reason why there shouldn't be remakes.

There's four versions of the Bounty story. I like each of them, but some are better than others. Quite welcome another version.

It could well be disappointing, of course. Would also welcome a sequel. What happened to Bly on return, what actually happens with Fletcher and the others on Pitcairn?

Back to Vertigo, which adore since first viewing, would love to see a version with Batman in it. Or a sequel where Novak's character comes back.

All blatantly ridiculous but fun. Nobody is being hurt or inconvenienced by bad remakes/sequels.
Why would Batman be in Vertigo?

He’s not afraid of heights for a start

Return of the Jedi is just a not particularly good film. You can't compare it to the fuckpigs that are the matrix sequels. I've never seen the Jaws sequels and have no plans to do so.

Beside, I think you are just being contrary. The Matrix is fucked forever by it's sequels for anyone who has been unfortunate enough to see them. Deny it all you will, there is no spoon.
Not being contrary.

Love films, they've played a huge part in my life.

But at no stage have any of them been "ruined", "destroyed" or "fucked'.

They all still exist, in perfect condition.

Sometimes the same director remakes the film for Hollywood. Dutch director remade his own film The Vanishing and it was very much a Hollywood cast.
Spoorloos was a perfect film. The Vanishing was terrible. Absolutely pointless.

There's been a few remakes of I Am Legend, where most of the 'originals' were called something else - Omega Man etc. The recent US remake was not wanted, and the ending was so shit they had to release an alternate version on DVD which will become the canonical ending for the sake of the planned sequel.

Speaking of sequels no one wanted...
Hah, I typed my comment before I read your reply.

I didn't realise it was the same director. Why did he ruin the ending?!

Heat is a big budget remake of LA Takedown. Both pretty good films, Heat probably just edges it for the big firefight set piece which was stunning at the time of its release.

Return of the Jedi is just a not particularly good film. You can't compare it to the fuckpigs that are the `matrix sequels. I've never seen the Jaws sequels and have no plans to do so.
I just like to clarify that sequels aren’t remakes.

Hah, I typed my comment before I read your reply.

I didn't realise it was the same director. Why did he ruin the ending?!
I've not seen the American version. tbh I'm not sure I buy the ending. 'Would you like me to show you what happened to her?' Um, no.

Not being contrary.

Although I half-agree with you, I can see the other point of view. Sequels re-contextualise a film, or book, or whatever. They can affect how you see something, despite the original not changing. You have changed having seen the sequel, and that can affect how you assess the original.

Not being contrary.

I'm sorry but the Matrix is the exception that proves the rule. The sequels are so dire, so awful, so stupid - in their execution and also in the way thay trash some of the ideas underpinning the first one that once you have seen them they colour and spoil the Matrix. It shouldn't be true, but it is.

Not as good at its own sequel: Caravan of Courage , an Ewok Adventure. Obvs.
All the ewok films are poor.

But easy to get over and have not destroyed anything else.

Return of the Jedi was so cheesy. But it only took a few days to get over it. Still watch it from time to time.

I bet if you asked Evil Dead fans if they want a remake of ED1 they would have said no, but despite being presented as a sequel, ED2 is basically a remake, and it's a much better film.

I haven't seen most of those listed so far, and have no desire to, but as Sue said, Hollywood remakes loads of non-English-language films. You may well have seen some without realising.
English language remakes aren’t automatically trash.

Remaking The Ring - unnecessary.

However, I enjoy both the Spanish original and American remake of:

Rec.

IMG_4934.jpeg

Infernal Affairs is much, much better than The Departed (which I've admittedly only seen once but I thought was pretty poor. Definitely a pity Oscar for Scorsese as well.)
Infernal Affairs is brilliant. Couldn't get into the Scorsese version. Not because it's a remake, just felt disjointed and hammy.

Might watch it again, see if still feel same way about it.

Back
Top Bottom