Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alien: Romulus (aka: In Space, no-one turns on the f*cking lights)

I'll probably go and see it. It's going to be treading old ground with an eye for sequels to milk that IP, but I'm pleased that they're at least returning to the theme of Proles in Space with these new characters, spending the best years of their indentured lives amongst the grime and dirt of a retrofuturistic mining colony.

I certainly look forward to their explaining how the USS Nostromo has apparently survived relatively unscathed after we saw it blown up in a massive thermonuclear (or similarly potent anyway) self-destruct explosion that nearly killed Ripley even though her escape shuttle already was many km away.

I don't mind people blundering about in the work but. What gets me angry is sci fi military with glowing guns or random lights on their kit first rule try not to be seen

I certainly look forward to their explaining how the USS Nostromo has apparently survived relatively unscathed after we saw it blown up in a massive thermonuclear (or similarly potent anyway) self-destruct explosion that nearly killed Ripley even though her escape shuttle already was many km away.
it wasn't the nostromo. It was a ship sent to retrieve the alien that ripley had blown out the airlock which they assumed would be dead but wasn't

No thats correct. The alien is recovered from the wreckage at the start (the ships in bits though). I thought you meant the main plot of the film took part on it.
Ah okay. Increasingly confused and feeling dumb and old; I’m sure it’ll all make sense when I watch it :D

Saw it yesterday....Alien is in the top of my favourite films of all time, never thought of it as a horror film more a sci-fi with horror aspects and imo the actual design and imagining of the xenomorph a work of genius, went to see it when it first came out and the inpact it had....

was so disappointed....it was ok but was annoyed that virtually whole scenes were just replications of scenes from the other films, for me it had hardly any tension or suspense and no suprises. I think the cast were really good but feel they missed an opportunity.

Saw it yesterday....Alien is in the top of my favourite films of all time, never thought of it as a horror film more a sci-fi with horror aspects and imo the actual design and imagining of the xenomorph a work of genius, went to see it when it first came out and the inpact it had....

was so disappointed....it was ok but was annoyed that virtually whole scenes were just replications of scenes from the other films, for me it had hardly any tension or suspense and no suprises. I think the cast were really good but feel they missed an opportunity.
I wish they hadn't included the black goo nonsense. It was better that the xenomorph's origins (and the alien who fell foul of it in the derelict ship) remained a mystery (to those on the ground at least).

Just people in a grim future who normally have little agency (crew members, soldiers, colonists, whoever) just trying to survive an absolute fuckup beyond the attempts at deception and then control by their far-away bosses/exploiters.

It could've been a nice standalone within that limited scope between Alien and Aliens, and that disregarded anything that's been made after. But that's just me.

Bit confused as to why the Guardian has reviewed it twice with quite different results

Bit confused as to why the Guardian has reviewed it twice with quite different results

Because they’re written by two different people?
Technically, they write for two different newspapers as well. Ide is the Observer film critic, and Bradshaw is the Guardian film critic. There are other critics whose reviews appear in the Guardian too, and their tastes vary considerably. Personally, I trust Ide more than Bradshaw as our tastes are more aligned, but YMMV

Because they’re written by two different people?
Technically, they write for two different newspapers as well. Ide is the Observer film critic, and Bradshaw is the Guardian film critic. There are other critics whose reviews appear in the Guardian too, and their tastes vary considerably. Personally, I trust Ide more than Bradshaw as our tastes are more aligned, but YMMV

Well yeh I get that. But it just seems an editorial oversight to have two completely different reviews going out of the same film under the Guardian banner within the space of a couple of days. The studios do use these for marketing purposes and you know which one they're gonna choose to highlight.

I've not read Ide's stuff before I don't think but I'm inclined to agree with you.

Well yeh I get that. But it just seems an editorial oversight to have two completely different reviews going out of the same film under the Guardian banner within the space of a couple of days. The studios do use these for marketing purposes and you know which one they're gonna choose to highlight.

I've not read Ide's stuff before I don't think but I'm inclined to agree with you.
I don’t see why there shouldn’t be different viewpoints in one publication. Indeed, there should be. One person’s taste should not be representative of any one publication

Saw it yesterday. It was adequate. Doubt it has imprinted on my mind forever like the first three films, but it was fun and never boring.
Just got back from seeing it with my 15yo and would have to agree. I thought the cast were great, would like to have spent more time with some of the characters before they got bumped off though. Also agree with mentalchik that it is basically a greatest hits package from previous films, and becomes more glaringly so as the film goes on - a shame, as they could have done much more with it. Decent overall though; my son loved it, said it was very reminiscent of Alien: Isolation (which I've never played).

Back
Top Bottom