Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Remakes no one wanted.

Everything is a remake or homage. This very discussion has been played out countless times, across countless realities.

Speaking of The Tempest, how many screen an stage versions of that, wonder?
Thousands. But thats just storytelling, there are only seven stories blah blah. True, but unhelpful. There's still a fundamental difference between a remake and a spinoff/sequel.

There's a sequel to Donnie Darko that was apparently rubbish. Kelly said he's nothing to do with it. Some fans said it ruined the original.

Never understand that kind of hyperbole. How can one film be ruined by another? Especially if nobody has seen it, or knows about it.
The Matrix.

Anyway, even worse than The Wild Bunch. One I was told about over Christmas but then wiped from my memory until now - dammit!

Starring, maybe, Robert Downey Jr, written by Steven 'Peaky Blinders' Knight.

Vertigo.

No, no, no, no, no and fucketty no!

• Wow
Reactions: Sue
Anyway, even worse than The Wild Bunch. One I was told about over Christmas but then wiped from my memory until now - dammit!

Vertigo.

Why not?

Help me out here, is it ruined? How is it ruined?
Cos the last time I watched it I kept thinking of the appalling drivel that were the train crashes of sequels. Quite spoiled the experience for me.

Okay. So you seem to be including sequels and spin-offs under remakes. How are you defining 'hommage'?
Any film that referenced or nodded to another film, or lifts plot, or ancient tales and themes. Tarantino doing Leone. Leone doing Kurosawa. Kurosawa doing Ford.

ET references to Star Wars, The Quiet Man, (and moving away from film) Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel.

Cos the last time I watched it I kept thinking of the appalling drivel that were the train crashes of sequels. Quite spoiled the experience for me.
How odd. Star Wars wasn't spoiled for me by the dreadful Return of the Jedi.

Jaws didn't sink after the awful follow ups for me.

Oh well, different life experiences etc.

Any film that referenced or nodded to another film, or lifts plot, or ancient tales and themes. Tarantino doing Leone. Leone doing Kurosawa. Kurosawa doing Ford.

ET references to Star Wars, The Quiet Man, (and moving away from film) Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel.
Nodded to? Lifts ancient tales and themes? That all feels kind of broad....

When does an influence or inspiration become an homage?
Those homages you mention are scenes/elements of other films rather than the whole films themselves

How odd. Star Wars wasn't spoiled for me by the dreadful Return of the Jedi.

Jaws didn't sink after the awful follow ups for me.

Oh well, different life experiences etc.
Return of the Jedi is just a not particularly good film. You can't compare it to the fuckpigs that are the matrix sequels. I've never seen the Jaws sequels and have no plans to do so.

Beside, I think you are just being contrary. The Matrix is fucked forever by it's sequels for anyone who has been unfortunate enough to see them. Deny it all you will, there is no spoon.

Vertigo.

Fuck's sake. :D

Just got to laugh now.

right now at this moment presently i have Ocean's 11 the Clooney version on the DVD player.
will report back.

well it has elliott gould and bernie mac in it, which is pretty good, but gould was a sub for alan arkin, who might have put it over the top.
as it is, not a match for the original yet.

Some good calls here.

Thought of another one…

Robocop.

The original is genius. Genuinely no need to update it.
I agree that the first one's the only one worth watching, but they're sequels. Jaws 3D also isn't so great.

Edit: I stand corrected. As you were. ;)

Last edited:
I haven't seen most of those listed so far, and have no desire to, but as Sue said, Hollywood remakes loads of non-English-language films. You may well have seen some without realising.
Not just Hollywood. Michael Haneke remade Funny Girls, shot by shot, in English.

He said it was he wanted an American audience to see it and they don't watch foreign language/subtitled films. But, I think the kind of audience who are watching Haneke films are not going to be put off by subtitles. So it's a pointless remake IMO.

Great films though, either version.

Reactions: Sue
Back
Top Bottom