Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rochdale by-election

Dundee U, Celtic, Wolves, QoS, Rochdale. Like a journeyman footballer who once had promise but whose career is rapidly going downhill. Next stop Curzon Ashton & substituted at half time.

What a spooky parallel to his political career, readers.
He was as dodgy as fuck when I first encountered him back the middle of the eighties. He was and is quite good at impromptu speeches but has never promised anything substantial.

The Green Party ('the off the peg party for those who want an alternative to Labour) have just pulled their candidate Guy Otten from the by-election. His views that he had posted on social media in the past on the Israeli state and Palestinians simply aren't acceptable these days.

The Green Party ('the off the peg party for those who want an alternative to Labour) have just pulled their candidate Guy Otten from the by-election. His views that he had posted on social media in the past on the Israeli state and Palestinians simply aren't acceptable these days.
"Quotes from the Local Democracy Reporting Service

Mr Otten will not be endorsed by the party in the upcoming election and nor will he participate in media interviews, canvassing or any hustings – but he has not been kicked out of the party, the Local Democracy Reporting Service understands.

The retired lawyer and tribunal judge said in a statement that he has stepped down from the race in order to stop distractions from the Green Party message. However, the candidate list has already been made official, meaning voters will still be able to tick the box next to his name under the Green Party banner when they go to the polling station on 29 February.

Mr Otten’s statement read “The Green message is too urgent and too important to be distracted by some regrettable social media posts I made a number of years ago. In the interests of the Green Party I have decided to leave the stage.

ADVERTISING

“As nominations have now closed, my name will still appear on the ballot. However, I will not take part in any media interviews or join any platforms for hustings, and neither will I be involved in any campaigning.

“I am really delighted that the Green Party is on the verge of making major breakthroughs in a number of constituencies in the next general election. Strong Green representation in parliament is needed now more than ever.”

A Green Party spokesperson said: “The Rochdale Green Party candidate has said that he has ‘decided to leave the stage’ following social media posts made some years ago. As nominations have now closed, his name will still appear on the ballot. However, he will not take part in any campaigning between now and polling day.

“We do not comment on disciplinary matters regarding Green Party members. These are internal matters. However, we are clear, we condemn all forms of racism and discrimination and do not accept it from any Green Party representative or spokesperson.”

George Lythgoe, Local Democracy Reporter

"Quotes from the Local Democracy Reporting Service

Mr Otten will not be endorsed by the party in the upcoming election and nor will he participate in media interviews, canvassing or any hustings – but he has not been kicked out of the party, the Local Democracy Reporting Service understands.

The retired lawyer and tribunal judge said in a statement that he has stepped down from the race in order to stop distractions from the Green Party message. However, the candidate list has already been made official, meaning voters will still be able to tick the box next to his name under the Green Party banner when they go to the polling station on 29 February.

Mr Otten’s statement read “The Green message is too urgent and too important to be distracted by some regrettable social media posts I made a number of years ago. In the interests of the Green Party I have decided to leave the stage.

ADVERTISING

“As nominations have now closed, my name will still appear on the ballot. However, I will not take part in any media interviews or join any platforms for hustings, and neither will I be involved in any campaigning.

“I am really delighted that the Green Party is on the verge of making major breakthroughs in a number of constituencies in the next general election. Strong Green representation in parliament is needed now more than ever.”

A Green Party spokesperson said: “The Rochdale Green Party candidate has said that he has ‘decided to leave the stage’ following social media posts made some years ago. As nominations have now closed, his name will still appear on the ballot. However, he will not take part in any campaigning between now and polling day.

“We do not comment on disciplinary matters regarding Green Party members. These are internal matters. However, we are clear, we condemn all forms of racism and discrimination and do not accept it from any Green Party representative or spokesperson.”

George Lythgoe, Local Democracy Reporter
That was in the MEN

Amazing that after all this time parties still don’t check public social media post history before giving someone the nomination.

I think the Greens are particularly vulnerable in this way because they have almost no central party machinery to do this kind of 'yeah, they might be popular in the constituency party, but are they a nutter/nonce/villain?' check - but all parties suffer from it because their party machines tend to be staffed by people who are a bit enthusiastic, and because they live in a bit of a party bubble.

God alone knows what kind of freaks the Tories are going to run in the GE - the constituency parties have pretty much been taken over by ukip, and there'll be no one working at CCO who isn't a frothing Falangist or a headbanging Trussite...

Uncannily you are nearly right , he's discussing them towards the end of this clip

He's going to have a problem early in March. He expressed his entirely sincere support for the Bangladeshi Cricket Team when, I think, he was standing in Bethnal Green. So, he'll be out in Sri Lanka on the 9th for their one day international match, but somehow he'll have to be in Rochdale the same day to watch their home game against Oxford City. :(

He's going to have a problem early in March. He expressed his entirely sincere support for the Bangladeshi Cricket Team when, I think, he was standing in Bethnal Green. So, he'll be out in Sri Lanka on the 9th for their one day international match, but somehow he'll have to be in Rochdale the same day to watch their home game against Oxford City. :(
the by-election is in February. He doesn't give a shit about March.

Uncannily you are nearly right , he's discussing them towards the end of this clip

My riposte to a “trans right activist”

It is rather ignorant of Galloway to blame a local authority for the economic decline of a town. Councils have very few powers, and central government has cut their incomes massively since 2010.

"The government prevailed by just one vote in a section of the bill outlawing the glorification of terrorism" thanks to Galloway not turning up in the House of Commons in 2005, after being elected for Respect in that year. He had a prior speaking engagement that he could not miss, apparently.

Why vote for a man who will miss crucial votes?

It is rather ignorant of Galloway to blame a local authority for the economic decline of a town. Councils have very few powers, and central government has cut their incomes massively since 2010.

There is a difference between ignorance and blatant dishonesty.

Reactions: PTK
Rochdale's retail has struggled like every single town that's not wealthy or a tourist hotspot. But in many ways it's a much nicer place than it was when I worked there over 20 years ago, thanks to redevelopments led by the council.

I've not looked at the stats for a while but I don't get the impression it's seen significant economic decline outside of retail in recent years.

Lovely gallery (Touchstones), beautifully restored town hall, interesting history & co-op museum.

The author Mark Hodkinson has done a lot to publicise the counter-cultural and working class histories of Rochdale through his semi-biographical works here and here.

Like many places Rochdale suffering badly in places due to fourteen years of blind ideological dogma and planned withering of the commons / public services / retail. But there are many worse places. Always found it quite interesting and friendly.

Hopefully the electorate roll George up in his travelling carpetbag and float The Great Charlatan down the canal. I would finish that sentence with "never to be seen again", but, some hope.

Come on, everyone can take George's words at face value, of course. He'll have bought season tickets for his family and will be in an executive box at Spotland whilst watching a live stream from Dhaka on his phone.

Of course.

Come on, everyone can take George's words at face value, of course. He'll have bought season tickets for his family and will be in an executive box at Spotland whilst watching a live stream from Dhaka on his phone.

Of course.
Which football ground in Scotland had some screen up at the game with him speaking on it or had I had too much cheese that night?

Last edited:
Which football ground in Scotalnd had some screen up at the game with him speaking on it or had I had too much cheese that night?

It was a 1-1 draw between Hamilton Comicals and St. Johnstone at New Douglas Park in March'21, at the fag end of covid times, a few months after he was (rightly) given dog's abuse for turning up to a Queen of the South game during lockdown.

One of the rare occasions where the few souls at the game furiously watched the game to avoid having to take in the "wisdom" of the comically deluded Axminster dweller. Some of these still images should probably be in Tate Modern.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 10.19.23.png

It was a 1-1 draw between Hamilton Comicals and St. Johnstone at New Douglas Park in March'21, at the fag end of covid times, a few months after he was (rightly) given dog's abuse for turning up to a Queen of the South game during lockdown.

One of the rare occasions where the few souls at the game furiously watched the game to avoid having to take in the "wisdom" of the comically deluded Axminster dweller. Some of these still images should probably be in Tate Modern.

View attachment 411331
these practice targets are a little off. should be rather to the left and down a bit

Dundee U, Celtic, Wolves, QoS, Rochdale. Like a journeyman footballer who once had promise but whose career is rapidly going downhill. Next stop Curzon Ashton & substituted at half time.

What a spooky parallel to his political career, readers.

More like (with thanks to belboid )

Carlos Kaiser - the greatest footballer never to play. A decade long career at some top clubs despite the fact that he was absolute shit. Even worse than Ali Dia

More like (with thanks to belboid )
Carlos Henrique Raposo (born 2 April 1963), commonly known as Carlos Kaiser, is a Brazilian con artist and former footballer who played as a striker.[citation needed] Although his abilities were far short of professional standard, he managed to sign for numerous teams during his decade-long career. He never actually played a regular game, the closest occurrence ending in a red card whilst warming up, and hid his limited ability with injuries, frequent team changes, and other ruses.[1]
:D

the red card was a scam as well. He just went over and hit some fans, then claimed to the boss they'd called him a thief.

Back
Top Bottom