Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rishi Sunak's Time is Up

Rishi Sunak is planning to delay energy efficiency targets for rented homes following pressure from landlords about the cost of the improvements.

The overhaul is part of a wider review of the government's environmental policies, which some Tory MPs fear are too expensive and will hurt the party's chances at the next general election.

The current proposals would see all new tenancies required to have an energy performance certificate (EPC) rating of C or above by 2025 - where A is the best and G is the worst - with this expanded to all existing tenancies by 2028.

The policy is intended to reduce bills for tenants and stop leaky homes adding to emissions, but on Tuesday night, a Whitehall source pointed to the cost it would have on landlords.

They told Sky News: "We remain committed to our environmental objectives but we cannot overburden landlords facing cost of living pressures...we support delaying requirements for new minimum energy efficiency requirements in the private rented sector."

Worth keeping an eye on - don't want to overburden landlords but if it goes through he won't mind overburdening renters while wasting energy.

Worth keeping an eye on - don't want to overburden landlords but if it goes through he won't mind overburdening renters while wasting energy.
The party of unearned income.

There's something so parochial and "Little Britain" about the Prime Minister of a G7 country choosing to put himself on the front page of a serious broadsheet newspaper about his concerted attack against the requirement to drive slowly through residential areas.

Doubling down on the pro car stuff. Wants to scrap 20 mph speed limits I read last night and today is announcing he wants 100+ new oil and gas licences

All because the papers decided that some people in Uxbridge voted in a parliamentary by-election based on a local governement policy that their new MP would have no control over.

All because the papers decided that some people in Uxbridge voted in a parliamentary by-election based on a local governement policy that their new MP would have no control over.

To start with, but I think they've got a wider strategy than that now. I think it's building to for them use climate & environmental measures more generally as an important area to fight the next election on as sadly I think it will have some popular traction as it'll be spun as an attack on those mythical 'ordinary people'.

And ignores the increasingly large pressures from people moving northwards from southern countries that will become less and less livable in. Mind you, he probably sees that as not his problem if they're planning on losing the election.

To start with, but I think they've got a wider strategy than that now. I think it's building to for them use climate & environmental measures more generally as an important area to fight the next election on as sadly I think it will have some popular traction as it'll be spun as an attack on those mythical 'ordinary people'.
Yes, shilling for corporate oil dressed as "insurgency" politics...something that will play well in their private focus groups amassed from punters who drive to the pollster's venue to pick up their cash-in-hand 'expenses'.

There's been a mild backlash against attempts to improve some local areas in Bristol which are blighted by traffic and dangerous driving. It's bizarre to me that some people get so angry about people that want to make our neighbourhoods more liveable.

It's definitely those sort of voters they are targeting with this shite.

And ignored the ~1000 people who voted green

I don’t think he’s ignored them. The 1000+ that voted green would have won it for labour. Having seen Kieth’s reaction to “losing it because of ULEZ” Sunaks lot think they can drag labour further towards them with labour losing votes to the greens. I think it’s equal amounts push/pull.

Back
Top Bottom