Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rishi Sunak's Time is Up

It would be rather nice if this prediction is true:

No it wouldn't. For one thing there'd still be 89 tories in parliament and for another I suspect an efficient and tightly controlled shammer administration would be at least as bad and quite possibly worse than the shower currently in power, certainly with the majority that suggests. The election result will imo be rather closer than that as sadly for the Labour Party the campaign will see them shed supporters every time shammer opens his mouth

There is that. A hung parliament would be better with labour having to do a deal. We really need some version of proportional representation.

There is that. A hung parliament would be better with labour having to do a deal. We really need some version of proportional representation.

we don't - we need better MPs, and it is really hard to see any Westminster party coming up with a voting system that would deliver that

I'll put this Twitter thread here for now. Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia, warning against the consequences of the Online Safety Bill, and how British internet access could be irreversibly changed for the worse.

Is Sunak's time up? :eek:

1688977789881.png

"Rumours" 44 letters in to 1922 committee, depressing suggested replacements unsurprisingly.

Suella as Prime Minister would wipe the memory Thatcher into ancient history. She'd boil puppies to death on live television and lock benefits claimants onto oil rigs. Thatcher was idealistic, Suella is just plain cruel.

I can't see them having the appetite to roll the dice with another loony zealot after Truss tbh, not at this point. Post election I think all bets are off.

I can't see them having the appetite to roll the dice with another loony zealot after Truss tbh, not at this point. Post election I think all bets are off.

If they did bin off Sunak then they'd have to call an election as its simply not credible to change PM 4 times in the space of 18 months.

The calculation is simple for them: would they retain the most seats by going early in 2024 or by handing on until early 2025.

The latter option is clearly the most sensible one, as the hope is that by then price gouging, greed led inflation caused by the rich and the 'necessary recession' to quell the demands of the market will have dampened down and they can offer up some tax giveways.

The latter option is clearly the most sensible one, as the hope is that by then price gouging, greed led inflation caused by the rich and the 'necessary recession' to quell the demands of the market will have dampened down and they can offer up some tax giveways.

Yeah I think this is essentially the whole point of having Sunak isn't it - he's there to look sensible, or Prime Ministerial or whatever, look at home in a sharp suit and not rock the boat, and to hope things settle a bit more than he is to actually do anything, and then maybe pre-election they can float some tax cuts or whatever.

Post-electoral kicking then I think that calculation disappears, at that point I could definitely see them going for a Braverman type.

Post-electoral kicking then I think that calculation disappears, at that point I could definitely see them going for a Braverman type.

Depends who is left after the GE in their parliamentary group to an extent, given that the shortlist is whittled down by MPs before it goes to their members. As their members proved with Truss they’ll vote for the biggest nutter on that shortlist.

What would make things interesting would be a new Farage type party to the Tories right. If and when that happens a more fundamental realignment could be on the cards.

Back
Top Bottom