Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rishi Sunak’s time is up!

I saw a news story today that reminded me of this exchange:

Everyone knows (and statistics bear it out) that immigrant parents- and ethic minorities generally- place enormous importance on education and bettering yourself. Look at this chart:
View attachment 348883

I think that’s admirable. He, on the back of his family, has done well. Good for him.

It doesn’t necessarily follow that poor people ‘deserve’ to be poor. The social, political, cultural, and personal pressures on them have been different. We are all influenced but not determined by our upbringing.

It’s quite a focus of a particular strata of society to see entry into higher education as being a metric of “success”. It’s worth asking who defined that metric, why and how did they convince people to place their focus on it? Does life actually end at 21 when their degree is over? No. So what happens next to all those students? Are we seeing a similar increase in ethnic minority working class presence in positions of power in businesses, politics, academic institutions, news institutions, medical establishments and institutions of capital? Not just as (well paid) workers, but those making material decisions over the lives of others? I’ll save you time: not so much. Institutional power remains in the hands of wealthy families passing down that power through generations. If anything, it is concentrating.
It’s here:

The gist is evidence showing much as I was saying — qualifications don’t translate in a systematic basis into structural power. Measuring who goes to university doesn’t tell you about class divides because it doesn’t tell you what happens after that university.

I saw a news story today that reminded me of this exchange:

It’s here:

The gist is evidence showing much as I was saying — qualifications don’t translate in a systematic basis into structural power. Measuring who goes to university doesn’t tell you about class divides because it doesn’t tell you what happens after that university.
It’s an important point, systemic discrimination needs a light shine on it at every level.

Guy doesn't do anything and is not coming out with bonkers shit as a result. As a very anti-tory voter, I expect him to win the next one at this rate. Submarine May got the PM on the same basis, then decided to surface and fire shit in every direction.

Not doing much works well, even if it isn't great, it is far better than the last lot being entirely incompetent once they opened their mouth. Plus the well he is rich he must know what he is doing vote, which is not insignificant.

The thing that’s even more bizarre than Sunak asking a homeless guy if he works “in business” (whatever the fuck that means) is the homeless guy responding by lionising the merits of the finance industry. Everything that follows from that point is just sustaining that weird moment

The guy hopes St Mungo’s will help him out.
When I was 17 in 1970, having previously been homeless Southwark council became my parent, and I lived in a hostel in Camberwell. A well meaning Vicar persuaded me and some others to stay up every Wednesday night to help with a soup run for street sleepers by the relatively new St Mungo’s ‘charity’ working out of a single very run down place in Battersea.
It was an impressionable age for me, but reflecting back I realise that boiled down I was a ‘homeless’ person helping out fellow homeless people.
That was closer to present day reality than a multi millionaire patronising a poor bloke down on his luck.

After the last 3 years and over a decade of similar tory shite Ive no idea any longer what is reality or sarcasm in the twitter comments or probably even this world any more , its possible that Lizz Truss wont be the worst ever either :(

"made me like Sunak more, he wasnt prejudice to the homeless man behind the glass, treated him like an old college buddy.

the meme has potential though at least there is that still :)

Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 16-04-02 Meme Generator - Imgflip.png

Last edited:
After the last 3 years and over a decade of similar tory shite Ive no idea any longer what is reality or sarcasm in the twitter comments or probably even this world any more , its possible that Lizz Truss wont be the worst ever either :(

"made me like Sunak more, he wasnt prejudice to the homeless man behind the glass, treated him like an old college buddy.

the meme has potential though at least there is that still :)

View attachment 356953
Call me nuts, but I think that was staged. Can't be many homeless people aspiring to work in the City?

I loved working at The Passage (the stage for this cringe-despair strangle-wank media opportunity) many moons ago, as an assessment/housing worker. Probably just as well I'm not working there right now because I would've precipitated an incident. Merry Christmas and solidarity all xx

I mean, who the fuck let that cunt in? Oh, he has a local connection, as he lives and works in SW1.He would just need to be 'verified" (spotted dossing down in the local area at 3am) and he could be referred to a hostel. Depending on vacancies.

I'd have signposted him to Mars.

The best thing anyone could spin that excruciating exchange was ‘he wasn’t too patronizing‘ (the homeless guy was definitely taking the piss).

1953 photograph of typical homeless man in top hat

twitter link

Back
Top Bottom