Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rishi Sunak’s time is up!

Just had a look at PMQs. Sunak is much better at it than I imagined he’d be, he’s a skillful slippery debating club crowd pleaser. Don’t know how much that matters. But he’s good at dodging everything thrown at him.
Not seen it today as forgot it was Wednesday - my gut feeling was that he’d be a decent performer in the manner you describe as an element of it is performance, with fed questions and scripted jokes.

This is a good little piece
"It has been a week of firsts in British politics. The country has rightly celebrated the fact that it has its first Asian-heritage and Hindu prime minister. A rather less noted milestone, however, is that Britain also has its first investment banker PM."

bankers do appear to be in full control

Not sure if we can class this as a u turn but Sunak has backed tracked on a pledge that he made in the Summer Leadership Contest

There will now no £10 fine for patients who miss appointments with their GP

Sunak was very slippery and that horrible approach of ignoring the question and going on the attack worked quite well. Same time, real world misery is the thing will determine the next election.

Germanys class system is very alive and well despite no private schools if that’s the case.
Except that the German state has in place education legislation that allows technical, vocational or academic focus in high school, depending on aptitude, so they DON'T lose tens of thousands of bright kids every year because they weren't able to follow their aptitude. Here, that's as rare as hen's teeth. Shit, we're still producing kids that spend their first year at uni basically learning to write a comprehensible essay!

You might want to ask Google about that.
Well, they still have the same class divisions, but in the time I've spent there, they've never been a tenth as extreme as they are here, & social mobility is still a thing there. Here it's dead.

Well, they still have the same class divisions, but in the time I've spent there, they've never been a tenth as extreme as they are here, & social mobility is still a thing there. Here it's dead.
They do actually have private schools, is what I meant. It's not as much an enforcer of class privilege as in the UK, but then again I don't think it is anywhere in Europe.

As a gross oversimplification, I seem to recall being told that Dutch (and German?) 'status' in society is generally determined by education, UK by class and US money.

Yes that’s a really good point. My eldest lad does IT sales now and he says it’s noticeable how much more money the London schools have. Big advantage for London. Their kids also get free transport (or near as), free music lessons, free museums etc.

I mean good for them I’m sure they all deserve it and why not. Be nice to see it in the north tho, our kids have less opportunity if they are poor.

Re: other factors. I’m afraid that by far the biggest and most significant influence on a child is their parents. Their parents aspirations, discipline, home structure, and beyond that a supportive community and culture around the family.

Some white communities have lost that. That isn’t simply ‘the fault’ of the Tories or Margaret Thatcher, it’s much more complex than that, altho deindustrialisation will have played a part as will the decline in religion. Would be interesting to talk about especially with anyone who knows about history.
Few free music lessons, if you mean learning an instrument. Most schools have minimised music lessons to just teaching theory. Learning an instrument is pretty much a "paid for" after-school activity, IF your school covers it at all.

As for "free museums", that's down to the city authorities & the museums.

They do actually have private schools, is what I meant. It's not as much an enforcer of class privilege as in the UK, but then again I don't think it is anywhere in Europe.
Few in comparison to here, & some lande don't allow them. They also got rid of military schools altogether, thank fuck.

As a gross oversimplification, I seem to recall being told that Dutch (and German?) 'status' in society is generally determined by education, UK by class and US money.
That’s absolute rubbish I think.

Few free music lessons, if you mean learning an instrument. Most schools have minimised music lessons to just teaching theory. Learning an instrument is pretty much a "paid for" after-school activity, IF your school covers it at all.

As for "free museums", that's down to the city authorities & the museums.
That’s just not true as far as I know. One of my friends kids in Brixton primary has free music lessons, altho that might be cos she’s talented idk.

Also I’m not sure it’s fair to say young people in the first year of Uni can’t write an essay. What experience are you basing that on?

That’s absolute rubbish I think.

That’s just not true as far as I know. One of my friends kids in Brixton primary has free music lessons, altho that might be cos she’s talented idk.

Also I’m not sure it’s fair to say young people in the first year of Uni can’t write an essay. What experience are you basing that on?
My sister doing her degree at Canterbury 7 years ago, & a mate who's a professor at UCL. He says the problem is endemic.

My sister doing her degree at Canterbury 7 years ago, & a mate who's a professor at UCL. He says the problem is endemic.
I get a lot of emails from degree educated employees and they are very poorly written, to the point of being incomprehensible, so I expect that essay writing would be just as bad

I get a lot of emails from degree educated employees and they are very poorly written, to the point of being incomprehensible, so I expect that essay writing would be just as bad
My mate at UCL is in his 50s, so had similar schooling to me - the whole "having English comprehension beaten into you" schtick (the cane was ahem "well-used" in our school :eek: ) applied, but it meant that almost everyone left with the ability to parse & punctuate a sentence, & to form coherent paragraphs.

Back
Top Bottom