Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

I dunno, it looks like you're the one struggling with objectivity here tbh. Some people are just talking about people in their 70s not voting labour anymore. The data - and doorstep conversations, and literally everything we know about the voting intentions of the older cohort right now - says that's true.

You're correct in all that.
I've bolded the bit you're most right about :oops:
That doesn't mean WouldBe is all that objective either.

My dad left the Labour Party in the early nineties over the selection of Glenys Kinnock for the MEPs list. He won't vote for Corbyn on the basis that he doesn't wear a tie. Seriously. Even though there's plenty of photographic evidence that Corbyn does wear a tie, and even though I reckon it's probably a decade since my dad did.

Not sure what the moral of the tale is.

Usual (multiple) caveats about Council ward by-elections etc....but these are actual votes. Can't think that CCHQ will be thrilled with how things are going atm...

e2a: wrong image...see post below; apols

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-15_11-45-15.png
    upload_2019-11-15_11-45-15.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 28
But that lot have all hated Labour pretty much more than anything else, so surely this is a good result anyway? They’ve pressured the Tory party into some hardline Brexit, drawn people into their sphere of thinking and shifted everything to the right. Very much mission accomplished. I doubt Farage gives that much of a fuck, and he still gets plenty of attention for now.

Round-up of this weekend's polls - the figure in RED is the change in the Tory lead since that polling company's last poll.

4.png
* BMG hasn't yet removed the Brexit Party from the areas where they are not standing.

Bear in mind that at this stage in 2017, the Tories were leading by 15% to 20%, so anything can happen.

It seems the Tories are under pressure from the LibDems, and Labour is in melt-down, in some London seats:

Wimbledon constituency voting intention: CON: 38% (-8) LDEM: 36% (+21) LAB: 23% (-13)

Kensington constituency voting intention: CON: 36% (-6) LDEM: 33% (+21) LAB: 27% (-16)

Finchley & Golders Green constituency voting intention: CON: 46% (-1) LDEM: 32% (+25) LAB: 19% (-25)

via
@DeltapollUK
, 07 - 13 Nov Chgs. w/ GE2017

Britain Elects (@britainelects) on Twitter

Right wing arseholes appeal to about 70% of voters in those electorates. Always useful to know which parts of town to avoid.

It seems the Tories are under pressure from the LibDems, and Labour is in melt-down, in some London seats:

Wimbledon constituency voting intention: CON: 38% (-8) LDEM: 36% (+21) LAB: 23% (-13)

Kensington constituency voting intention: CON: 36% (-6) LDEM: 33% (+21) LAB: 27% (-16)

Finchley & Golders Green constituency voting intention: CON: 46% (-1) LDEM: 32% (+25) LAB: 19% (-25)

via
@DeltapollUK

Golders Green is, I think, a strongly Jewish community so that sadly makes sense. Interesting elsewhere in London, the LDs are beginning to crumble nationally so London may be there only hope of seats

Kantar polling for absolutely shocking drops in turnout in the youth vote and over 65's going from 80to 90% engagement!!! Given 1 million under 34's have signed up in the last two weeks (double the numbers of 2017) I'm struggling to see their reasoning.

EJhMC6aW4AAe0ue

via
@DeltapollUK

1) Deltapoll are a very new company with little track record
2) Hardly anyone ever does constituency polls because weighting for the precise social/economic make up of it is incredibly hard
3) However, Opinium actually did poll F&GG last month and got C29, L25, LD41. Which, unless something very weird has been happening over the last few weeks, kind of bears out my point 2 above
4) As Whagwan notes above, at least some polling orgs seem to be using a turn out model that is laughable anyway. Ten point higher turnout for over 65s than last time in the middle of December?! Astonishing drops in youth turnout when loads more have been registering this time?! I just can't see the justification for the figures he's posted, turnout hasn't made 90% in any age group since the 70s
5) Labour are turning out ridiculous numbers of canvassers in London atm and Kensington is obviously a massive focus for them. I'm sorry but the idea that they're suddenly going to drop by that much is laughable. Canvassing matters, so does voter ID and GOTV
6) Conclusion from all of that is that even with questionable polling, the Lib Dems still can't imagine themselves a win in London so just vote Labour eh

JTG, whilst Deltapoll is firmly new, they have done several GB wide polls for this coming election, and seem fairly inline with other polling companies, and some of their founders came from Yougov & ICM.

But, as you say, constituency polls are very difficult & samples tend to be very small, which is why I started that post with 'it seems'.

Kantar polling for absolutely shocking drops in turnout in the youth vote and over 65's going from 80to 90% engagement!!! Given 1 million under 34's have signed up in the last two weeks (double the numbers of 2017) I'm struggling to see their reasoning.

EJhMC6aW4AAe0ue

Predictions about how much of a specific age group are going to vote can't be anything more than just making stuff up based on gut feel.
I know it's purely anecdotal but I have a 17 yr old who is seriously narked that she won't get to vote but clearly the statement that young people aren't interested is simplistic

Predictions about how much of a specific age group are going to vote can't be anything more than just making stuff up based on gut feel.
I know it's purely anecdotal but I have a 17 yr old who is seriously narked that she won't get to vote but clearly the statement that young people aren't interested is simplistic
I missed being able to vote in the 92 GE by 2 months and lived in a constituency where Labour lost to the Tories by a very slim margin (Edmonton). Was gutted at the time.

311 + 268 = 579

With the SNP on course for 40+, 17 NI, presumably one Green, a small handful of Plaid and a speaker, doesn't look good for the Jo Swinson's Lib Dems Stopping Brexit Party.

It's done on past elections. There has been a pattern in the UK of dipping youth vote (not mirrored everywhere in the world - iirc, in Italy, young people are more likely to vote than older people - so a phenomenon that must have its roots in peculiarly UK conditions). The graphs here show the youth vote consistently lower than the oldies vote since the 60s, but not way lower until the 90s/2000, when it dropped off a cliff.

I believe that figure of over 60% for 2017 is disputed now btw, but either way, the question modellers have to address is 'why did the youth turnout fall off that cliff?' It would appear to me to be related to something to do with Blair and New Labour, perhaps a disillusionment and feeling of disenfranchisement, particularly following the Iraq War. Obviously, if that's the case, it is something Corbyn's Labour can potentially tap into, but new sources of disillusionment threaten - most notably of course brexit, which around three quarters of under 25s who voted in the referendum voted against (likely to be even higher than that among Labour-voting under 25s).

311 + 268 = 579

With the SNP on course for 40+, 17 NI, presumably one Green, a small handful of Plaid and a speaker, doesn't look good for the Jo Swinson's Lib Dems Stopping Brexit Party.
They'll be Jo Swinson's Getting Brexit Done (in ministerial jags) party by mid December.

The pendulum model.

If these numbers turn out to be correct (And it's a big if) then Friday morning is going to be interesting. Even if Bozo hadn't burnt his bridges with the DUP it wouldn't be enough whereas Lab+SNP would be just enough

If these numbers turn out to be correct (And it's a big if) then Friday morning is going to be interesting. Even if Bozo hadn't burnt his bridges with the DUP it wouldn't be enough whereas Lab+SNP would be just enough
Tories + piss Tories would be enough though. And the lib dems are always fucking up for it.

Tories + piss Tories would be enough though. And the lib dems are always fucking up for it.
If those numbers turn out to be correct then no it still wouldn't be enough since there would only be 9 or 10 LD's so the Tories would need them and the DUP
Personally I don't think the LD's would be willing to prop up the Tories anyway since the Tory Party now is a very different beast than it was under Cameron
In fact whilst I personally expect them to do modestly well this time I think they will probably find themselves completely irrelevant come 13 Dec. I don't think they can work with the Tories and their condition for working with Labour (dump Corbyn) is a non starter

Back
Top Bottom