Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

Based on absolutely fuck all (seriously, pretty much ZERO knowledge of the voting landscape atm other than national swings) I'll be pleased with anything other than a tory landslide - because that's where (the press told me) we were heading. I saw articles pondering the significance of the UK becoming a one-party state FFS...

ETA: I'm finding myself increasingly interested in the mechanics, intricacies and impacts tbh. I've even just un-muted the only poster I had on ignore, as when he's not calling me a cunt he undoubtedly knows his shit.

It's interesting looking at articles in the graunid circa 2005, worrying about the possibility that the Tories would never ever get back into power.

It's interesting looking at articles in the graunid circa 2005, worrying about the possibility that the Tories would never ever get back into power.
We're a very short-sighted species in both temporal directions I think.

Lib Dems would form a coalition with the Tories in this scenario, no questions asked.

Interesting aside, I like how Corbynites and the Labour right have switched places on the believability of polling.

Human lice as they are, the libdems would still have to join in with this (avoiding hard brexit and all that).
They'll cling to whatever coat-tails they can, murmuring themselves to sleep at night with steadfast positions on the reintroduction of free school milk or some such bollocks.

Wow! I presume that is using data from one of the times/yougov polls that gave the Tories a 5 and 7% lead - the most optimistic for Labour? But still... :eek:

It's using a large sample of 50k, using the same model they used for the EU Ref.

DBGt9RlXYAAu_nW.jpg

Lib Dems would form a coalition with the Tories in this scenario, no questions asked.
Not sure quite how they could work any version of brexit to satisfy the libscum and the head bangers. the only 'principle' the LS have left is the single market and May can't offer that.

I'm not sure they would, given their recent experience. And, surely, it couldn't happen (even confidence and supply couldn't happen) without some accommodation over Brexit. Would that be possible?

Not sure quite how they could work any version of brexit to satisfy the libscum and the head bangers. the only 'principle' the LS have left is the single market and May can't offer that.

National emergency, national interest, markets are about to tank like Greece etc

It's using a large sample of 50k, using the same model they used for the EU Ref.

DBGt9RlXYAAu_nW.jpg
Yeah, it has to involve some kind of location analysis When the gap gets to within a few % points it really is all about where those votes are being cast

But that doesn't say how they converted the share of the vote to seats, which is the pertinent point. I don't have too many issue with the polling (well not more than any other poll) but the model they use to estimate seats could be critical.

Of course this yougov/times scenario is not good for Labour, or at least the publication of it isn't. Labour were so far behind that they'd become the recipients of protest votes, people saying they approved of nationalisation and the NHS but didn't actually think Corbyn's top table were an even remotely plausible government. Anything like this poll/model takes us back into 'labour will be in hock to the snp... break up Britain... do you really want Diane Abbot as Home Secretary... Corbyn may well have planted bombs himself...'

The Guardian article on their latest poll is surprisingly decent on their assumptions and possible failings - Guardian/ICM poll: Tories' 12-point lead offers Labour crumbs of hope

God, it all just underlines how nobody's got any fucking clue how to correctly weight this stuff. The changes in engagement in the last couple of years or more are based on loads of new stuff like the uniqueness of the EU ref, the rise and fall of UKIP, successfully reaching out to younger (non-)voters that will most likely be seen in longer trends that will take some time to be fully realised, and even stuff like Bernie and Trump will have had some sort of impact.

For my own view, I think we're at the beginning of quite a significant change in all of this, and whatever we find in this election is only the start. It's exciting.

Sorry, which side is giving in there? And on what?

Well, the Lib Dems ran in 2010 on Keynesian economic policy prescriptions to combat the credit crunch, an end to tuition fees etc... and we know how that story ended why couldn't there just be a repeat of all of that?

Well, the Lib Dems ran in 2010 on Keynesian economic policy prescriptions to combat the credit crunch, an end to tuition fees etc... and we know how that story ended why couldn't there just be a repeat of all of that?

Because their base will happily look either way on economics. Not on the issue of Brexit, though.

Don't be so callous. If Teh Markets tank then I'll lose my... my income will... my left bollock is going to... erm - someone help me out here.

If Teh Markets tank then I'll lose my keys, my income will be used for less cocaine, and my left bollock is going to turn up in the punch bowl of a swinger's party in Stoke?

Back
Top Bottom