Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

Times have a first overall projection from their YouGov figures and have tories 16 short of majority - labour increase seats from 229 to 257. Tories 310 from 330.
Do you know what model they're using to get the seats? I couldn't see from the free bit on the Times website.

Yeah, but add in the NI seats. Also does anyone have an inkling what the NI seat numbers mean here? Previously 8, now 18?
Time for posters of May being ordered around by whoever the equivalent of Alex Salmond is in NI? After all, it worked against Miliband.

One observation I've got from my current horribly white middle-class geographical demographic:

I've come across a lot of over 60s who have expressed massive affiliation with Corbyn's policies - but when pressed will never ever vote Labour because they believe that 'whenever they get into power they destroy the economy'. These beliefs include blame for the last global financial crisis. The 'global' bit of that appears to go unheard.

Those beliefs also appear to be pretty much untouchable; they're not very keen on examining the issues, as that becomes a very uncomfortable headspace to be in, and these are people that would rather avoid nasty considerations on their doorstep iykwim. They'll vote for any other party (mainly Con or LD) - but not Labour even if they agree with their policies, because they'll automatically tank the economy (whatever the fuck that means anyway).

FTR I've tried making observations about things like the deficit under Lab and Con, but it's really not to any avail with these voters. The beliefs are incredibly entrenched, and neither rhetoric, tears nor anger will shift them. I've chosen not to waste my time upsetting people for no reason.

Last edited:
4 Sinn Fein seats, so required majority is down to 324, three SDLP and maybe the alliance bod, unionists will get at least nine, tho they won't all be reliably Tory siding.

Times have a first overall projection from their YouGov figures and have tories 16 short of majority - labour increase seats from 229 to 257. Tories 310 from 330.

What do you make of all this, BA? I have to say, I am surprised, I never thought it would get to all of this.

Would be hilarious but I'm pretty skeptical, certainly until we see the seat allocation model they used. I still think a smallish increased Tory majority is the most likely outcome.

Oh, I think it's very unlikely. And I'm not a Labour supporter but the whole thing backfiring so massively on the Tories (and on the anti-Corbynites to an extent) would, as you say, be hilarious.

One observation I've got from my current horribly white middle-class geographical demographic:

I've come across a lot of over 60s who have expressed massive affiliation with Corbyn's policies - but when pressed will never ever vote Labour because they believe that 'whenever they get into power they destroy the economy'. These beliefs include blame for the last global financial crisis. The 'global' bit of that appears to go unheard.

Those beliefs also appear to be pretty much untouchable; they're not very keen on examining the issues, as that becomes a very uncomfortable headspace to be in, and these are people that would rather avoid nasty considerations on their doorstep iykwim. They'll vote for any other party (mainly Con or LD) - but not Labour even if they agree with their policies, because they'll automatically tank the economy (whatever the fuck that means anyway).

FTR I've tried making observations about things like the deficit under Lab and Con, but it's really not to any avail with these voters. The beliefs are incredibly entrenched, and neither rhetoric, tears nor anger will shift them. I've chosen not to waste my time upsetting people for no reason.
This is my dad, though he's wobbling towards Labour. He's ignoring national stuff and just looking at the fact that their candidate is very local (grew up on our estate while we were living there), has good coherent leaflets and is all about soft Brexit. He's almost managing to block out the entrenched anti-Labourism. Almost.

If the Tories ended up with fewer seats than they started with, I'd laugh like a drain. If they ended up 20 seats down...
I can certainly see Labour gaining in places. Copeland, Gower, Croydon Central. A few more from higher up the target list too - my own Bristol NW for example.
Question is whether they manage to avoid losing much in other areas

But, other that pure pessimism, why?
I just can't see that many seats chasing hands. Most seats are too safe to be changed with the current poll numbers, but I can see a number of seats going blue - Clacton, some Scottish seats, etc - I can't see many gains that Labour could make.

Labour have shored up their vote so that probably helps protect them from loses but I don't see them really eating into the Tory vote or getting swing voters. Also I think some of that increase in the Lab vote is probably in safe Tory seats, if you look back at the LP leadership elections, Corbyn did well in safe Tory seats, which will be meaningless in terms to seat changes.

Apparently the model they used is the same one they used for the Brexit ref and it showed Leave ahead.

I could not have imagined in my wildest dreams the Tories losing seats and Labour gaining. (Even if it's not a Labour win, it's still significant.)

I WILL NOT DARE TO DREAM.

Based on absolutely fuck all (seriously, pretty much ZERO knowledge of the voting landscape atm other than national swings) I'll be pleased with anything other than a tory landslide - because that's where (the press told me) we were heading. I saw articles pondering the significance of the UK becoming a one-party state FFS...

ETA: I'm finding myself increasingly interested in the mechanics, intricacies and impacts tbh. I've even just un-muted the only poster I had on ignore, as when he's not calling me a cunt he undoubtedly knows his shit.

Back
Top Bottom