Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Police planting catapults on anarchists? I don't believe it.

Have you seen it reported anywhere outside of Indymedia and anarchist blogs? Google says not. You think the Mail would have decided that an arms cache found at an anarchist rally wasn't worth reporting? :eek::eek::eek::D

The police found several "high-powered catapults" (according to the stop'n'search docket) at an anarchist rally and didn't tell the media. And you don't think that's weird? What other explanation is there?

Of course I think that's weird, but I don't think it point to a police plant, it point away from it.

The other explanation's that come to mind are (1) Someone else planted the catapults in the hope the police would create a photo opportunity and (2) Someone brought the catapults to the demo planning to distribute them and got cold feet, so dumped them.

(2) Seems most likely.

But what possible reason would there be for the police not to brief the media if someone else had planted them? They wanted to protect the Daily Mail? The plotter got cold feet so it's best just to forget it ever happened and all go for a nice cup of tea. :confused:

They found weapons at an anarchist rally at the most-hyped up protest in years. And didn't tell the media. Any explanation has to account for the latter.

OK, draft submissio .pdf.

Input welcome. I've asked greg to get back to me with his blessing so won't be sending it for a while.
Sent, with Greg's blessing. Link has updated to final version.

Well, I just got this from the Green Party (I copied the e-mail to Jenny Jones). The reference to John Brake may be to do with this? Tom Brake in the article, John Brake below - I'll check if they're the same person.

Problem is, he's got me confused with Greg and wants me to talk to the press if they're interested - but I wasn't there, so there's no point. I've left a warning for Greg on his blog. butchers - I don't suppose you know of any witnesses who might be willing to talk to the mainstream media if needed?

Hi ymu

I work for Jenny Jones at the London assembly green group. Jenny did write to the commissioner about the use of Agent Provocateurs (see below) and we will press them for a reply. I hope you don't mind, but we have sent your e-mail onto a couple of journalists, but taken off your contact details. If they do express any interest, can I pass them onto you? I just read your blog and I do think that you should contact John Brake MP with your report. Jenny will persue the Met Police for a full investigation into the allegations.

Many thanks

Ian

Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson
Metropolitan Police Service
New Scotland Yard
The Broadway
London
SW1H 0BG

I am writing to raise the question of the possible use of Agent Provocateurs by the Metropolitan Police. I have been asked to raise this issue with you in the context of political demonstrations and, in particular, the policing of the recent G20 protests.

Could you please inform me;

1) If this tactic is ever used by the Metropolitan Police?

2) If this tactic was used during the policing of the G20 protests?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jenny Jones

Green Party London Assembly Member

Metropolitan Police Authority Member

Yes - that's the incident I think he's referring to when he suggests we contact MP John Brake.

If it doesn't have anarchists' fingerprints on it, what's the point?

what do anarchist fingerprints look like? do they have 'A's in circles on? that would be fucking :cool:

this thread has reminded me how fucking dangerous i used to be with my black widow. can you still get them?:hmm:

I can ask, but i seriously doubt anyone would.
I've already told them that. Problem is, they've dropped Greg in it by sending the blog link to journalists without warning. If Greg's happy to talk to them, it'll be OK. Otherwise, other people being willing step in might be handy.

Well, I just got this from the Green Party (I copied the e-mail to Jenny Jones). The reference to John Brake may be to do with this? Tom Brake in the article, John Brake below - I'll check if they're the same person.

Problem is, he's got me confused with Greg and wants me to talk to the press if they're interested - but I wasn't there, so there's no point. I've left a warning for Greg on his blog. butchers - I don't suppose you know of any witnesses who might be willing to talk to the mainstream media if needed?

What police force would admit to using this tactic. Undercover, yes , surveillance yes, forward intelligence units yes but have you used agent provocateurs - er no.

Anyway the annual meet up has gone this year. look forward to next years set play.

The Quebec police were forced to admit to it fairly recently when enough evidence was presented. If you give up before you've started, how you ever gonna get 'em?

Quebec police admit agents posed as protesters

MONTREAL–With the proof caught on video, Quebec provincial police were forced to admit yesterday that three undercover agents were playing the part of protesters at this week's international summit in Montebello, Que.

But the Quebec police force denied they were attempting to provoke protesters into violence. Rather, they said the three were planted in the crowd to locate any protesters who were not peacefully demonstrating. Police said the trio's cover was blown when they refused to toss any objects.

"At no time did the Quebec provincial police officers act as agents provocateurs or commit criminal acts. Also, it is not part of the policy of the police force nor is it part of its strategy to act in this manner.
The three officers, sporting bandannas, showed up on the front lines of a protest at the summit. One carried a large rock.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/249429

OK, I sent the document to Tom Brake, the Lib Dem MP who witnessed police agent provocateurs in action at the G20 protests, has collected witness statements from people he met there, and just happens to be the shadow home affairs minister. He's giving evidence to the select committee shortly.

He's not had a chance to get back to me (even just to point and laugh) as I only sent it this evening, but I feel honour bound to mention that I am already mildly impressed. I was really tired when I was trying to get an email contact for him late last night, forgot about firstname.surname@parliament.uk and got frustrated when writetothem.com demanded a constituency email and so (apparently) did his website. I gave up and fired off a grumpy e-mail to his website's info@ email address demanding that it be made easier to make contact about his national portfolio. :)o)

I got this at 6.44am today.
ymu,
I am not sure which website you were trying to use. I am not aware of any websites that won't let people email me if they are not constituents. Which were you trying to use?
Regards
Tom Brake

I know little of his politics, and I have no idea what his expense claims were, and let us not forget, he is a politician. But that's not bad, IMO.

Not quite as speedy this time, but just got this:

ymu

Thank you for your email and the attachments.

The report makes worrying reading. I had heard of these catapults from
someone else who attended the rally. I will see what I can do with the
info.

Regards

Tom Brake MP
Carshalton and Wallington
Liberal Democrat
for casework and diary matters
t: 020 **** **** f: 020 **** ****

for press matters
t: 020 **** ****

Tom Brake MP