Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Police officer shot dead in Croydon police custody centre, 25th Sept 2020

I read that the man with the gun was in a cell and shot the policeman when he opened the cell door. So it's possible nobody else was near. I didn't realise people in cells would still be handcuffed, but I am purely basing that on Channel 4 programmes :hmm: . Maybe if the cell was part of the custody suite he'd still be cuffed till booked in though.
If true then this is worse. To fail to search him at the scene of the arrest, then fail to search him when arriving to the custody centre, then fail to search him before confining him to a cell.

If true then this is worse. To fail to search him at the scene of the arrest, then fail to search him when arriving to the custody centre, then fail to search him before confining him to a cell.
Maybe they meant the holding cell area where you remain cuffed and watched by probably only one officer, before you go to the desk to be checked in.

Trying to find a link...it was on a news report and had a go fund me page linked. I think it was set up by a police liaison person and in the blurb at the start of the page it said he was shot after opening the cell door.

Trying to find a link...it was on a news report and had a go fund me page linked. I think it was set up by a police liaison person and in the blurb at the start of the page it said he was shot after opening the cell door.

Here you go...

Trevor Sherwood the editor of Police Hour is raising money to support the family of Sgt Matt Ratana who was tragically shot dead inside Croydon custody centre in south London.

He lost his life after being shot when he opened the cell door to speak to the suspect.

And...

After being put in a holding cell, he is suspected of opening fire when Sgt Ratana opened the door to get his details.

Has any of urban's ACAB contingent offered a statement on this yet? Are they celebrating or have they all become moderate now?

Has any of urban's ACAB contingent offered a statement on this yet? Are they celebrating or have they all become moderate now?
I've never subscribed to the ACAB thing, so much as "treat a copper with ultimate suspicion until you have very good reason to think otherwise". I've had some - minor, by Urbanite standards - contretemps with the filth, but I've also been on the receiving end of some very good police work.

But a bloke shot for doing his job in this way...that's grim. Maybe I'd feel differently about it if he'd been tooled up and on the street in body armour, shoving people around.

I've never subscribed to the ACAB thing, so much as "treat a copper with ultimate suspicion until you have very good reason to think otherwise". I've had some - minor, by Urbanite standards - contretemps with the filth, but I've also been on the receiving end of some very good police work.

But a bloke shot for doing his job in this way...that's grim. Maybe I'd feel differently about it if he'd been tooled up and on the street in body armour, shoving people around.
Sure, but there are a few on here who like to say "only good place for a cop is six feet under" and suchlike. In the past at least. Just wondering if they are going to stay quiet about this one despite their claimed position, or have simply become more moderate in their views, which is what you might expect as I don't think anyone under about 40 posts on here any more.

I had no knowledge of custody centres to be fair. Not a police station as such. If the report is true of being put in a cell before being searched, before giving details and being assessed, well it's more than lax.

I had no knowledge of custody centres to be fair. Not a police station as such. If the report is true of being put in a cell before being searched, before giving details and being assessed, well it's more than lax.
They never let me keep my show laces, yet they let him keep a gun. Bastards!

you squandered the chance to present - or invent - any evidence from the last 30 years to support your wild speculation, to make your case if not credible then at least interesting and chose instead to offer some feeble and dull personal abuse - the last resort of the 'loon. pitiful.

have all the would-be contortionists on the thread also tried it the suggested way, hands back to back?
Just did it again. Try it. It's really not hard. It certainly doesn't require any contortions. Drawing the weapon and shooting it is no big mystery. The mystery is how he got that far without anyone finding the gun.

Back
Top Bottom