Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pics from your State Sanctioned Exercise.

View attachment 212098
amy twitchers about? smaller than a hens egg (but not tiny), very flat, matte green - came out of an Oak tree...

Was cold wasn't it. Anyway, fairly impossible to tell from your pic because I'm not sure that's showing a true colour on my devices but almost certainly from a crow of some sort, which sort take your pick from here.

Was cold wasn't it. Anyway, fairly impossible to tell from your pic because I'm not sure that's showing a true colour on my devices but almost certainly from a crow of some sort, which sort take your pick from here.
Looks more like a pheasant egg to me depending on the size. :hmm:

Not a very comprehensive list though.

Do pheasants eggs fall out of Oak trees? Do you ever read anything properly before you post?
Depends where the pheasant was. I've seen birds lay eggs in mid flight before and pheasants can fly :p

All the crow family you said the egg could be from all have blotches on them and that egg doesn't.

Last edited:
Do pheasants eggs fall out of Oak trees? Do you ever read anything properly before you post?
That egg hasn't hatched it looks like some bird has broken into it to eat it so it also depends on where the bird found it and where it took it to eat it.

kebabking did you see it fall out of the tree or was it just on the floor under the tree?

Today's Northerly Arctic air mass flow gave some very clear views across our, temporarily, unpolluted Capital.

Here's a distant, annotated view of the biggest buildings of the City from the Southern edge of the old Croydon airport.

View attachment 212156

Without guff:

View attachment 212157
It's interesting to compare the view you get from Croydon airport with the ones I got earlier up thread from just off the Meridian on the North Downs. All the tall buildings look close together on yours yet they are more spaced out on mine. I don't know how to put "the guff" on mine but there's the same buildings plus more off to the west.

Plus this one just to the left of the one above also shows Croydon and the Wembley Arch.

It's interesting to compare the view you get from Croydon airport with the ones I got earlier up thread from just off the Meridian on the North Downs. All the tall buildings look close together on yours yet they are more spaced out on mine. I don't know how to put "the guff" on mine but there's the same buildings plus more off to the west.

Plus this one just to the left of the one above also shows Croydon and the Wembley Arch.

I'm always amazed by differing aspects of the big buildings that you get from different parts of outer London. There's sometimes that "what's the Shard doing there?" moment! :D

I really like your pics and especially the one showing Croydon and the Saffron Tower.

I wish my phone had a better camera, but it's a bit old and a iPhone 5C handmedown, so my landscapes are always a bit blurred.:(

I'm always amazed by differing aspects of the big buildings that you get from different parts of outer London. There's sometimes that "what's the Shard doing there?" moment! :D

I really like your pics and especially the one showing Croydon and the Saffron Tower.

I wish my phone had a better camera, but it's a bit old and a iPhone 5C handmedown, so my landscapes are always a bit blurred.:(
I know what you mean. That's got to be the Crystal Palace Transmitter in my photo but in my head it should be over to the right!

Your photos are pretty good for a phone. My photos of Croydon and London were taken on a Canon EOS 600D with a 55-250mm lens but I was battling with the wind at about 240 metres up on an exposed hillside. I suppose I could have rested it on the back of one of the cows but I wasn't sure how friendly they were! :D

There's something to be said for a phone or a small camera - I take a lot of mine with a Canon IXUS 85 (especially the macro pics) which is the size of a fag packet and doesn't require me to carry a bag for the "camera stuff".

That egg hasn't hatched it looks like some bird has broken into it to eat it so it also depends on where the bird found it and where it took it to eat it.

kebabking did you see it fall out of the tree or was it just on the floor under the tree?

No, it was just lying under the tree - there were two eggs under the same tree. They were identical: completely plain with no patterning or changes of colour. The green was a flat, dull, matte green that had no blue or yellow tinge - had the eggs not been broken with the white of the inside showing, it's unlikely I'd have seen them.

No, it was just lying under the tree - there were two eggs under the same tree. They were identical: completely plain with no patterning or changes of colour. The green was a flat, dull, matte green that had no blue or yellow tinge - had the eggs not been broken with the white of the inside showing, it's unlikely I'd have seen them.
If it was an army khaki colour it was probably a pheasant egg.

I've actually been generally taking Polaroids while out on walks. I feel the need to take something from the outside world that I can hold and say "yeah things still actually exist" in the face of lockdown disassociation.
I've got out of the habit of taking Polaroids now. Partly because Polaroids are uh a bit rubbish a lot of the time, and the cameras that I have tend to fuck up (the best one I have, which I actually got off an urb, I am not lugging out into Virus City). But also I think I'm just getting used to things, which is good as it helps against disassociation which is not great laughs, but does leave you in a massive void of everyday nothing - a 24/7 Long Dark Teatime Of The Soul.

I quite like taking pictures with date stamps I've decided, and also I drag out some of the weird crap that I've got off eBay or Kickstarter over the years, like the Lomography Belair. I might shoot this Russian swing lens panoramic camera I've got and have only ever put a couple of rolls through, or a superwide 21mm lens, or disposable cameras, or half frame, or some shit I dunno.

ETA: eg a couple I took today which was only meant to be one but two came out at once. Cheers camera, not only did I waste an extra shot but they're both crap. I did manage to fiddle with one to make it feathery though.

D35A3DB9-7D0F-4039-BEC8-FF354F4EA464.jpeg

D9250E98-D7E3-4A42-BD37-A99FED2F31E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom