Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paralympics - Who's Going?

oh and we had the MOST amazing day. It was really superb. We watched the 7 aside football and the atmosphere was incredible. My little girl was zoomed in on by the camera as she was going crazy for a good long while and the whole stadium went "aaaah" - I nearly burst with pride. The level of goodwill and just general fun was great. We only got back half an hour ago - stayed much later than we should have.

I wonder, but suppose it's unlikely, if we could still get some tickets for next week?

Oh, I thought you were going to the athletics!

Loads of tickets went on sale today and they said they're going to put around 10,000 tickets a day out, so you've still got a chance. I'd stick with trying to get through on the phone though as that's how I've managed to get 3 out of the 5 lots of tickets I got, unless you do manage to get on the website, but if you don't, definitely waste a few quid on the phone

If your boyfriend's arms work ok, he will be able to use the scooter. If his hands aren't great, that may not be an option. I wonder if you could put the wheelchair on one of the shuttles? there are loads of them as gg said and it's a bloody long way from one end of the park to another (although it's dead flat unless you go down to the river)

The actual Travelcard you need to pick up, it you can use your P@H ticket in lieu of it.

Minnie, you asked how long it took to get from the Stadium to Stratford International. I just left the Stadium and took me about 20 minutes from leaving my seat to getting onto the platform. But bear in mind this was after most people had already left the Stadium, and at a very brisk walk. Also I was heading to Kent, which was an easy walk into the station, but for those heading to London there was quite a mass of people outside.

Ty - you mean we can get on the tube with our print at home tickets? I'd be quite happy to just walk from bethnal green but the others are lazy.

If your boyfriend's arms work ok, he will be able to use the scooter. If his hands aren't great, that may not be an option. I wonder if you could put the wheelchair on one of the shuttles? there are loads of them as gg said and it's a bloody long way from one end of the park to another (although it's dead flat unless you go down to the river)

His arms work fine, but if there's more than one button, he'll be in trouble :D

I thought you were in a rush to get back,
In a hurry? No. The last train home wasn't until 00:03, and they run every half an hour on Saturdays, so I had plenty of time. It's next Sunday I'm worried about.

so how come you waited 'til everyone had left? :D
People started leaving before everything had finished (even when they was still a race to go), and I stayed to see everything. There were some Victory Ceremonies at the end that most people missed because they left - a couple had Seb Coe presenting the medals!

I was thinking with a wheelchair we may be better off waiting 'til everyone's left as well. Don't want to mow anyone down accidentally :D
Probably. The routes to and from Stratford International (they are different) both involve flights of stairs. I'm certain there must be an accessible route, but I don't know what it is.

20 minutes is quite a walk though.
I came out across the bridge on the far side of the Orbit from the Stratford exit, also it's quite a walk from outside the stadium to the actual exit of the Park, and there were lots of people.

And another thing we got held up a one point by the Games Makers to let the people ahead disperse. I was lucky because they were just about to stop people again because of the crowd at the station, but I got through just in time!

Ty - you mean we can get on the tube with our print at home tickets? I'd be quite happy to just walk from bethnal green but the others are lazy.
Yes, as long as your ticket is to an event(s).

In a hurry? No. The last train home wasn't until 00:03, and they run every half an hour on Saturdays, so I had plenty of time. It's next Sunday I'm worried about.

People started leaving before everything had finished (even when they was still a race to go), and I stayed to see everything. There were some Victory Ceremonies at the end that most people missed because they left - a couple had Seb Coe presenting the medals!

Probably. The routes to and from Stratford International (they are different) both involve flights of stairs. I'm certain there must be an accessible route, but I don't know what it is.

I came out across the bridge on the far side of the Orbit from the Stratford exit, also it's quite a walk from outside the stadium to the actual exit of the Park, and there were lots of people.

Well I'll be staying 'til the end. He's able to walk short distances and he'll be able to having been in a chair all day, but if he gets knackered before we even get to the Park, then he'll be too tired and in too much pain to walk and he'll also need a sleep, so it's the getting to the venue itself that's the most important part. After that, he can relax for a couple of hours :D

Thanks for all the info :)

Minnie - we went Tulse Hill to St Pancras and then the Javelin to Stratford... it was amazing - the Javelin was impressive and the atmosphere even at the station was great. I haven't been to Stratford for 3 years and I was blown away at the change!

I didn't go to the mobility tent I just asked at the first shuttle stop as you arrive at the park - there were really loads of them and it was lunch time on Saturday - the place was rammed but there was obviously loads of space on the shuttles. I don't know if there was more than one button on the scooters but I reckong they're worth a shot. We found it quite hard work with the baby and toddler getting from one end of the park to the other - it is huge! If you're only going to the stadium though it's the first thing you come to when you enter the park - we went all the way around. Which is worth doing. Lots of lovely little touches around the place - some arty things etc...

I had such a cool time yesterday. From the moment you get off the tube at Stratford the atmosphere is amazing with the Gamesmakers really getting everyone in the mood.

There was a really relaxed and friendly atmosphere in the park and then the stadium is amazing. We were right at the top but still felt really close to the action. I am so glad I got to go.

When I was there yesterday I took a walk along the river/garden path bit and under one of the bridges they had these things that every second or so woul drop streams of water and they spelt out words in the water. It was quite good. Couldn't make out every word though.

Minnie - we went Tulse Hill to St Pancras and then the Javelin to Stratford... it was amazing - the Javelin was impressive and the atmosphere even at the station was great. I haven't been to Stratford for 3 years and I was blown away at the change!

I didn't go to the mobility tent I just asked at the first shuttle stop as you arrive at the park - there were really loads of them and it was lunch time on Saturday - the place was rammed but there was obviously loads of space on the shuttles. I don't know if there was more than one button on the scooters but I reckong they're worth a shot. We found it quite hard work with the baby and toddler getting from one end of the park to the other - it is huge! If you're only going to the stadium though it's the first thing you come to when you enter the park - we went all the way around. Which is worth doing. Lots of lovely little touches around the place - some arty things etc...

Cheers Gaijin

Were there definitely shuttles from Stratford International to get you to the Park itself or did you have to walk (I wouldn't mind going on the Javelin)? I may stick with going Jubilee Line from London Bridge though on the way and get boat back (if it's a nice day), but I may go on the shuttle one evening. (Need to check what time last train is)

Definitely want to walk around the Park, but will try to stick to one section at a time. That's why I got a few sections so I didn't have to do the whole park in one day. :D

Has anyone who's been to the park had to collect tickets on the gate? We managed to get an extra session for athletics tomorrow and have to pick them up, but I haven't got access to a printer and it says you need a print out of the confirmation email :facepalm: I can show them a copy of the email on my phone and have the card used to purchase. Surely that should be ok?

Has anyone who's been to the park had to collect tickets on the gate? We managed to get an extra session for athletics tomorrow and have to pick them up, but I haven't got access to a printer and it says you need a print out of the confirmation email :facepalm: I can show them a copy of the email on my phone and have the card used to purchase. Surely that should be ok?

Can you not forward it to another Brixton urbanite to print and go and pick them up at Horseguards?

PS: I think Bungle may have picked them up at Stratford and said there wasn't a huge queue but can't remember what time that was

Can you not forward it to another Brixton urbanite to print and go and pick them up at Horseguards?

I haven't got time today really. But tbh I've just looked at the FAQs on the website and it says bring a printout if you don't have the card you paid with, so sounds like I should be ok :)

I haven't got time today really. But tbh I've just looked at the FAQs on the website and it says bring a printout if you don't have the card you paid with, so sounds like I should be ok :)

Yeah, you can do that as well, but I like to have the real thing in my hand :oops:

Tbh I'm usually the same but I'm going to have to chance it on this occasion :D We've got the tickets and travelcards for our other session so I'm not quite as paranoid as usual :oops:

Well your name will be on email and if it's on your phone and you have ID....

but then do they keep stubs of tickets/emails etc. for their records? :hmm:

PS: I think Bungle may have picked them up at Stratford and said there wasn't a huge queue but can't remember what time that was
It was the Travelcard I picked up. It was in the afternoon for an evening athletics session.

It was the Travelcard I picked up. It was in the afternoon for an evening athletics session.

oh right, well I'm sure you or someone said there weren't long queues, but if people have been leaving buying tickets for this event 'til the last minute, then they've not been sent out so more people might be in the queue.

I'm sure Nips will be fine :D:hmm:

Actually fuck it, I'm going to pop up to Horseguards now. I've just realised our session starts at 10:00 so we'll be going right in the middle of rush hour and it's probably just easier to sort today.

Well that was probably easier than faffing tomorrow. There and back from home in 50 minutes. They asked me for the ref number and photo ID, so just as well I took my driving licence. Apparently it says you have to have photo ID to collect in the small print, although I didn't notice it. The woman in the next window over didn't have any and was having a massive row with one of the staff :facepalm:

Well that was probably easier than faffing tomorrow. There and back from home in 50 minutes. They asked me for the ref number and photo ID, so just as well I took my driving licence. Apparently it says you have to have photo ID to collect in the small print, although I didn't notice it. The woman in the next window over didn't have any and was having a massive row with one of the staff :facepalm:

See, much more comforting actually having the tickets in your hand :D

I knew you needed photo ID. Didn't think it was really in the small print though :hmm:

Glad you got them though

Cheers Gaijin

Were there definitely shuttles from Stratford International to get you to the Park itself or did you have to walk (I wouldn't mind going on the Javelin)? :D

didn't see any shuttles to get you from SI to the park itself I'm afraid. Everyone was walking.
Has anyone who's been to the park had to collect tickets on the gate?

We pickped them up (on purpose after last time!) and it was no problem at all. We didn't even have to queue - despite all the dire warnings. Lunchtime on a Saturday. We just took the confirmation email. The only slight annoyance is that you have to go a little bit around the houses when you get there to get to the box office - but nothing you wouldn't be fine with.

BTW: For anyone who was at the Stadium last night, how cold did it get late on in the evening?

I was still in my vest although I had taken a hoodie, but then I do run hit anyway. My mate stuck on her thin jumper as we were leaving.

I think the fact you have 80 thousand bodies around you helps.

I think it's supposed to be getting warmer this week anyway.

My hands were hurting from all the clapping though.

Back
Top Bottom