Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Oh dear... Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson sacked over Huawei leak.

No, just that they don't seem to be that great at anything else. I'm not sure why for example this one needed to be a secret. Locations of troops in a war or that kind of thing fair enough but that's not what we're talking about.
Nah maaan, we're talking about the miners and workers duuuuude!

I'd tend to agree if we made 5g infrastructure in the UK...
Ok, I get that and other posts above but why cant we do this shit? we can, we have the know how, and the people, we just need to back ourselves, and that is something that capitalism is interested in.

Ok, I get that and other posts above but why cant we do this shit? we can, we have the know how, and the people, we just need to back ourselves, and that is something that capitalism is interested in.
Massive investment. Huawei have poured scores of billions into research and development, they are China's biggest company and most of Europe's telecoms companies (EE, Vodaphone, BT, etc, etc...) now run largely on Huawei infrastructure. They dwarf the US in terms of telecoms tech which is a large part of why Trump is putting pressure on western governments to kick them out by using allegations of spying.

Massive investment. Huawei have poured scores of billions into research and development, they are China's biggest company and most of Europe's telecoms companies (EE, Vodaphone, BT, etc, etc...) now run largely on Huawei infrastructure. They dwarf the US in terms of telecoms tech which is a large part of why Trump is putting pressure on western governments to kick them out by using allegations of spying.

Apparently Erikison also the kit. But it's a fair bit more expensive.

Nah maaan, we're talking about the miners and workers duuuuude!
That is a pretty good example of shit I would have thought most people agree they definitely shouldn't be getting involved in isn't it? Or is there a shit joke I'm missing here?

Wanting a spanking from a nice young lady & getting one from a brutish teacher maybe quite different experiences. I know you are getting on in years but laughing about child abuse? WTF
Oh they most certainly are. (not that I've had a spanking from a nice young lady. I've had a couple of brutish thrashings from teachers who these days would be called child abusers though)

He admits to talking to the journo:

It is understood that Williamson has acknowledged speaking to the Daily Telegraph’s Steven Swinford on the phone for 11 minutes on the day of the leak.

But he denies that he revealed what had happened at the national security council when he was asked by the reporter about the Huawei discussion.
Gavin Williamson: 'I was tried by kangaroo court – then sacked'

The '11 minutes' is very specific and suggests phone records have been checked. 'When he was asked' is also interesting. It suggests to me either that the journalist volunteered the information or, more likely, that Williamson himself told the inquiry that he was asked. It's possible that he was asked but refused to answer but, well, unlikely.

He admits to talking to the journo:

Gavin Williamson: 'I was tried by kangaroo court – then sacked'

The '11 minutes' is very specific and suggests phone records have been checked. 'When he was asked' is also interesting. It suggests to me either that the journalist volunteered the information or, more likely, that Williamson himself told the inquiry that he was asked. It's possible that he was asked but refused to answer but, well, unlikely.

I used to speak to journalists in my last job - I had to take a note of who i'd spoken to, when, for how long, on what subjects and anything I'd said that might possibly come back to haunt me.

As a matter of self-preservation I tried to be as dull as possible, but on a number of occasions I was surprised at the journalists recollection of our conversations...

When I read the analysis of who it might have been, I so hoped it had been him. The most nakedly careerist of all the cabinet, like some junior management consultant with a touch of Partridge about him too. Am so glad he’s gone, do hope the investigation continues too.

Back when I had never heard of him and figured I should, the one article I read about him made him sound like a machiavellian career mastermind on the fast track to the top, with a fucking scary spider on his desk ooh ooh what a little big man. Pretty much every time he's come up since its been as a source of ridicule, causing me to ponder here about what a letdown this great spider man career marvel has turned out to be, not as advertised, not the saviour of the tory race.

By this time tomorrow we'll have had leaks from May's side which show he did it, went the full weasel when interviewed over the leaks etc. Just hope the OB get involved. :thumbs:

His usage of language is so classic tory isn't it. He didn't tell the reporter when he was asked about it. That much is probably true. He doesn't deny that he told the reporter before or after he was asked though. It's like the ones that say 'I refute the allegation' rather than 'I deny the allegation'.Refute means to prove wrong, typically with evidence, which the person saying it typically isn't doing at the time. It sounds like deny, but it isn't.

D5f0LjfW4AE71SW
Did it cover?

Back
Top Bottom