Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Northern Independence Party

Reminds me of a holiday i had in Lancashire...we were staying just north of Lancaster, one junction further up the M6.
Decided to go into Lancaster for the evening, asked the woman behind the desk at the hotel if she could recommend anywhere to go/see/do in Lancaster.
Her answer "Lancaster? Why do you want to go there? Its shite!"
Never mind Yorkshire, two miles down the road was too foreign
I don't think that's what you've necessarily experienced there - lots of people round here really hate their local area. I could introduce you to hundreds of Prestonians who'd say something similar about their own fair town. Self deprecation taken to the point of self sabotage.

Hold on, that's a snapshot of the Last Glaical maximum (Devensian) from about 28kya. You could just as easily selected the UK's actual glacial spatial maximum from earlier in the Pleistocene (Anglian) glaciation (478-424kya) when the ice front stretched from the the Isles of Scilly and the Western Approaches,across to South East England where it diverted the River Thames from its old course through the Vale of St Albans south to its present position.

So, I'm not quite sure this glacial determination has much credibility, tbh! ;)

View attachment 238789

Have you Northern types considered the Danelaw demarcation yet?

View attachment 238790

I reckon the key to the line is the distance to France. It's a "can't be arsed to live/trade/migrate/commute any further" line, which became established after the ice age.

When I was in Manchester during a derby match day a couple of years ago, I saw a grown man screaming abuse at a teenaged girl because she was wearing a Manchester City shirt. 'Ribbing' and 'Sporting Rivalry' can get to fuck.

You know me well enough to know I'm not onboard with that I hope.

If they can raise enough funds, they could get a design agency in London or in Scotland to do it, so that it would be done properly and people would take them seriously. They'll won't though - inevitably they'll cut off their nose to spite their face.
Just use the top half of the Union flag. It would look like the sun's shining out of the norths arse. :eek: :)

go somewhere else please.
Seems an entirely fair point to me. You even introduce the thread with the comment that it's a bit of a troll. The boundary between the north and south of england is no less arbitrary than the one between Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Seems an entirely fair point to me. You even introduce the thread with the comment that it's a bit of a troll. The boundary between the north and south of england is no less arbitrary than the one between Yorkshire and Lancashire.
The party itself refers to its intended independent territory as 'Northumbria" which, according to their chosen map, would suggest the spatial extent of the Kingdom of Northumbria at it's height at the end of the 7thC, (minus the areas of Northern Bernicia now located in Scotland).

Obviously this excludes areas that many might consider to be in the present-day 'North'.

1605365155430.png

A political campaign for regional self-governance can obviously have some crossover into regional/local rivalries, but to say they're the same thing is too silly for more than a single sentence reply.

I don't think that's what you've necessarily experienced there - lots of people round here really hate their local area. I could introduce you to hundreds of Prestonians who'd say something similar about their own fair town. Self deprecation taken to the point of self sabotage.
yeah i know what you mean....there is a such a thing as hyperlocal parochialism...happens all over the world...that village down the road? wrong uns.

yeah i know what you mean....there is a such a thing as hyperlocal parochialism...happens all over the world...that village down the road? wrong uns.

local.jpg

The party itself refers to its intended independent territory as 'Northumbria" which, according to their chosen map, would suggest the spatial extent of the Kingdom of Northumbria at it's height at the end of the 7thC, (minus the areas of Northern Bernicia now located in Scotland).

Obviously this excludes areas that many might consider to be in the present-day 'North'.

View attachment 238805

Nah, I reckon the NIP should really go for it - proper big style, with no compromise to the false construct of the oppressor states - Lothian, Dumfries, Galloway all in the pot - with Mercia, Pictland and Dal Riata under supervision....

(
I might note that Borders and Galloway had some of the lowest 'yes' results for indyref in 2014 - but that might be construed as being serious, so I won't...).

Nah, I reckon the NIP should really go for it - proper big style, with no compromise to the false construct of the oppressor states - Lothian, Dumfries, Galloway all in the pot - with Mercia, Pictland and Dal Riata under supervision....

(
I might note that Borders and Galloway had some of the lowest 'yes' results for indyref in 2014 - but that might be construed as being serious, so I won't...).
An SNP & NIP merger! NIPSNIP?

Clitheroe will only use it as an excuse for their kong term plan to leave Lancashire and move to Surrey.

Its not necessarily a bad thing for the rest of the North, but I'll be dammed if I will have to say I was born in Surrey....

I think mostly that kind of thing is just good old fashioned class antagonism tbh - posh vs. poor ends of town, county town vs. mill town next door etc.

When I was in Manchester during a derby match day a couple of years ago, I saw a grown man screaming abuse at a teenaged girl because she was wearing a Manchester City shirt. 'Ribbing' and 'Sporting Rivalry' can get to fuck.
That's what happens when we try to play over dramatic southern sports like football and forget to concentrate instead on th' Rugby League.

Back
Top Bottom