Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nicola Sturgeon's time is up

Would you trust a GP who was also an undertaker on the side?
Assuming that they actually get paid to treat me, then it would be in a doctor's best interests to keep me alive as long as possible and then also get paid for my funeral, rather than let me die and miss out on the longer term income.

Just going to put this here...

"Labour must offer the change these voters so desperately want and must convince voters it has answers to the economic insecurities and failing public services that blight their lives".

Quite. But they face the same challenge in the rest of the UK too. The existential problem for Labour (as always) is that it finds itself caught on economy between what the 'red wall' public wants and what the state/markets demand. It's supineness to the latter undermines the clear opprtunties now open to it with the former in Scotland and elsewhere.

I just saw in an article today that the SNP has been without auditors/accountants since September. That’s quite a gap. Even Yousaf seems pissed off.

“Mr Yousaf said he had not been aware of the issue until he became leader, adding that "it would have been helpful to have known beforehand" and that "there should have been more transparency around the party finances".” - BBC

Which, to be fair (not that I want to be), is probably as much as he can say with the investigation ongoing. But reading between the lines, he is probably feeling he was dropped in it.

It’s just occurred to me that it seems the SNP conference in October wasn’t told the auditors had resigned. This wasn’t in any of the reports? “We need to find a new auditor”. That wasn’t said?
It's a very long time since I've been at a party conference, but I have a vague memory of the conference rubber stamping the reappointment/new appointment of auditors (probably buried in some longer resolution or report). So yes, very... odd.

Edit: that was a bit garbled. Meant to say, yes, it's a standing agenda item.

I just saw in an article today that the SNP has been without auditors/accountants since September. That’s quite a gap. Even Yousaf seems pissed off.

“Mr Yousaf said he had not been aware of the issue until he became leader, adding that "it would have been helpful to have known beforehand" and that "there should have been more transparency around the party finances".” - BBC

Which, to be fair (not that I want to be), is probably as much as he can say with the investigation ongoing. But reading between the lines, he is probably feeling he was dropped in it.
Oh yes, I suspect there was a whole bunch of stuff he wasn't told until after he became First Minister

'So, whit ye're tellin' me is - there's nae auditors'
'Aye, Humza'
' and there's a big fucking hole in they accounts'
'aye, Humza
'and there's one of they big fuck off road hogging RVs owned now by the SNP'
'aye, Humza'
'it's parked outside oor Nicola's isn't it?'
'No, Humza'
'No? Whit the fuck d'ye mean, No?'
'it's at Peter's ma's hoose, Humza'
'FOR FUCKS SAKE'

Last edited:
It’s just occurred to me that it seems the SNP conference in October wasn’t told the auditors had resigned. This wasn’t in any of the reports? “We need to find a new auditor”. That wasn’t said?
my money woulf be on some weseal words somewhere in proceedings like 'we're currently ubdergoing a tender process for new auditors who will be in place by the next set of accounts are due'.

7 months a long gap to be without auditors in any decent business, it's what the CFO loses sleep over.

It's a very long time since I've been at a party conference, but I have a vague memory of the conference rubber stamping the reappointment/new appointment of auditors (probably buried in some longer resolution or report). So yes, very... odd.

Trade union conferences also do this. Normally when adopting the finance report. I’m no expert but I’d guess reporting back and getting endorsement for the decisions made by a leadership is legally required in membership organisations?

Also, Humza says he didn’t know about the camper van. So that means either it didn’t appear in the conference reports as either a purchase or an asset, or Humza didn’t read the report.

Also, Humza says he didn’t know about the camper van. So that means either it didn’t appear in the conference reports as either a purchase or an asset, or Humza didn’t read the report.
50/50

Depends how it was actually categorised in the report. I think I shall see if I can find a copy and have a read myself.

So apparently STV have a new 'fictional' programme about MI5 sleepers becoming SNP disrupters.

It's called Six Four, and stars the great Kevin Mckid .

(cough kate forbes and her Conservative card holding husband, US church backed..?) - nah tbh i don't want to speculate. Enough divide and conquer going on without everyone joining in.

So apparently STV have a new 'fictional' programme about MI5 sleepers becoming SNP disrupters.

It's called Six Four, and stars the great Kevin Mckid .

(cough kate forbes and her Conservative card holding husband, US church backed..?) - nah tbh i don't want to speculate. Enough divide and conquer going on without everyone joining in.

I've watched all on that on ITVX, I assume it's on the STV player too, it was a fairly good watch.

danny la rouge I found the most recent accounts (2021) on the Electoral Commission website:

At the end of the document is the follow statement on the responsibilities of the National Treasurer (it reads very similar to CFO statements in corporate documents):

The Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000 requires the National Treasurer of the Party to prepare the financial statements for each financial year which give a true and fair viewof the state of affairs of the Party and of the surplus or deficit for that period. In preparing those financial statements, the National Treasurer is required to:
▪ select suitable accounting policies and then apply them consistently;
▪ make reasonable and prudent judgements and estimates;
▪ state whether applicable accounting standards have been followed;
▪ provide details and explanations of any departures in the financial statements; and
▪ prepare the financial statements on the going concern basis unless it is inappropriate
to presume that the Party will continue in operation.

Section 41 of the Act requires that the National Treasurer is responsible for keeping proper accounting records that disclose, with reasonable accuracy, at any time the financial position of the Party at that time and to enable him to ensure that the financial statements comply with the Act. Section 43 of the Act requires that the National Treasurer is responsible for delivery of the statement of accounts to The Electoral Commission by the required deadline.

danny la rouge I found the most recent accounts (2021) on the Electoral Commission website:

At the end of the document is the follow statement on the responsibilities of the National Treasurer (it reads very similar to CFO statements in corporate documents):

The Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000 requires the National Treasurer of the Party to prepare the financial statements for each financial year which give a true and fair viewof the state of affairs of the Party and of the surplus or deficit for that period. In preparing those financial statements, the National Treasurer is required to:
▪ select suitable accounting policies and then apply them consistently;
▪ make reasonable and prudent judgements and estimates;
▪ state whether applicable accounting standards have been followed;
▪ provide details and explanations of any departures in the financial statements; and
▪ prepare the financial statements on the going concern basis unless it is inappropriate
to presume that the Party will continue in operation.

Section 41 of the Act requires that the National Treasurer is responsible for keeping proper accounting records that disclose, with reasonable accuracy, at any time the financial position of the Party at that time and to enable him to ensure that the financial statements comply with the Act. Section 43 of the Act requires that the National Treasurer is responsible for delivery of the statement of accounts to The Electoral Commission by the required deadline.
Douglas Chapman resigned in May 2021 claiming lack of information.

SNP finance boss Douglas Chapman quits over 'lack of information' SNP finance boss Douglas Chapman quits over 'lack of information'

As far as I can tell, his replacement (whom Chapman had himself not long before replaced) is still in post.

And the Auditor's report from the same accounts:

Our responsibilities and the responsibilities of the National Treasurer with respect to going concern are described in the relevant sections of this report.

Other information
The other information comprises the information included in the annual report, other than the financial statements and our auditor’s report thereon. The National Treasurer is responsible for the other information contained within the annual report. Our opinion on the financial statements does not cover the other information and, except to the extent otherwise explicitly stated in our report, we do not express any form of assurance conclusion thereon. Our responsibility is to read the other information and, in doing so, consider whether the other information is materially inconsistent with the financial statements or our knowledge obtained in the course of the audit, or otherwise appears to be materially misstated. If we identify such
material inconsistencies or apparent material misstatements, we are required to determine whether this gives rise to a material misstatement in the financial statements themselves. If, based on the work we have performed, we conclude that there is a material misstatement of this other information, we are required to report that fact.

We have nothing to report in this regard.

Responsibilities of the National Treasurer
As explained more fully in the National Treasurer’s responsibilities statement set out on page 12, the National Treasurer is responsible for the preparation of the financial statements and for being satisfied that they give a true and fair view, and for such internal control as the National Treasurer determines is necessary to enable the preparation of financial statements that are free from material misstatement, whether due to fraud or error.

In preparing the financial statements, the National Treasurer is responsible for assessing the Party’s ability to continue as a going concern, disclosing, as applicable, matters related to going concern and using the going concern basis of accounting unless the National Treasurer either intends to liquidate the Party or to cease operations, or has no realistic alternative but to do so.

Auditor’s responsibilities for the audit of the financial statements
Our objectives are to obtain reasonable assurance about whether the financial statements as a whole are free from material misstatement, whether due to fraud or error, and to issue an auditor’s report that includes our opinion. Reasonable assurance is a high level of assurance, but is not a guarantee that an audit conducted in accordance with ISAs (UK) will always detect a material misstatement when it exists. Misstatements can arise from fraud or error and are
considered material if, individually or in the aggregate, they could reasonably be expected to influence the economic decisions of users taken on the basis of these financial statements.

There are 292 accounting units within the SNP, which I think is incredible, and bound to lead to some mistatements or inaccuracies.

Also, under the tangible assets section there are 'Motor vehicles' totalling a tad under £81k. No further information is given on said motor vehicles. But I think this fuck-off RV was in the accounts if anyone could be bothered to read them.

I didn't even know the Scottish Fabians were a thing. In fact, I don't think I've ever come across any kind of a Fabian IRL. :hmm:
Sure I must've mentioned this at some point before, but my fucking mental anti-vax housemate is a Fabian, he gets the Fabian Review delivered and everything. I have no idea why, since I can't see how Fabianism fits with the rest of his worldview (pro-Putin, thinks January 6th was a false flag to make Trump look bad, the lost city of Atlantis had super advanced technology, etc etc), I suppose it's just another one of those things that aren't super logically consistent.

Back
Top Bottom