Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New 'left-wing' think tank....

I had a look around the website - just a few observations.

1) The address of CLaSS is at Unite the Union's HQ in Holborn. (See http://www.classonline.org.uk/about/contact & http://www.unitetheunion.org/contact_us.aspx)

2) There are lots of people on their National Advisory Panel but how many of them are there in name only? How many of them contribute substantially to what the think tank does? Ditto the management committee. This then leaves only two members of staff (as of 29 May) - one of which is Owen Jones who seems to have lots on his plate media-wise. Thus leaving Rachel Yates as seemingly the only full-time member of staff listed on their site.

This makes me wonder how 'independent' (of Unite) and how sustainable will the think tank be. I think there is room for a left-wing trade union-based think tank, but think it could do with far better support from trade unions - not so much in terms of direct financial donations but for example having trade unions and universities seconding some of their staff to the think tank, even if it's only part-time.

Also, should CLaSS try to play the Tax Payer's Alliance at its own game? We all complain about how much coverage it gets on what it says (and how little coverage it gets over its lack of transparency over its funders) but why is it they get so much coverage? What connections do they have and with whom that CLaSS need to make in order to raise its profile?

Finally, how is the think tank going to engage with grass-roots trade unionists and trade union members? How can people outside of London contribute? Because if people can't take part, it risks becoming a talking shop in a nice part of Central London.

Over here in Sweden the TUC equivalent has its own think tank, it's own economists and a whole other array of infrastructure, including a prestigious cultural award. So there's no harm in the UK unions having a similar estalbishment.

What this is not, however, is any sort of opportunity for a break away from the failed labour movement strategy of the last 40 years - trying to rescue elements of the post-WW2 compromise between workers and employers. It's a renewed attempt for top-down business as usual.

Over here in Sweden the TUC equivalent has its own think tank, it's own economists and a whole other array of infrastructure, including a prestigious cultural award. So there's no harm in the UK unions having a similar estalbishment.

What this is not, however, is any sort of opportunity for a break away from the failed labour movement strategy of the last 40 years - trying to rescue elements of the post-WW2 compromise between workers and employers. It's a renewed attempt for top-down business as usual.

Failed in comparison to what?

Lacking in humility. If my flat was flooded and I managed to rescue half of my possessions from water damage I wouldn’t take kindly to some fucker telling me that I’d ‘failed’ on the basis of my not having addressed the underlying determinates of flooding.

I suspect the logic of the argument is rather different to what you imagine it to be.
Is that right. I thought it went a little like this: post-war social democracy benefited 'us' it was better for 'us' than any other alternative. It wasn't the best thing ever but better than the other ones. Have i it right up to this point? So, now, what is the logical conclusion that follows today?

Is that right. I thought it went a little like this: post-war social democracy benefited 'us' it was better for 'us' than any other alternative. It wasn't the best thing ever but better than the other ones. Have i it right up to this point? So, now, what is the logical conclusion that follows today?

Let's have WW3?

If you make any bigger logical leaps you'll be in danger of hitting your head on the ceiling.

Maybe some other time, a lot of work to do means the most I can commit to at the moment is the occasional sarcastic barb.

Lacking in humility. If my flat was flooded and I managed to rescue half of my possessions from water damage I wouldn’t take kindly to some fucker telling me that I’d ‘failed’ on the basis of my not having addressed the underlying determinates of flooding.
If your flat was flooded, and the water kept pouring in, but you kept on living in the rapidly shrinking dry area of the attic, and then set up a group to bail-out the flat using a set of teaspoons, then I think you would be judged to have failed.

If your flat was flooded, and the water kept pouring in, but you kept on living in the rapidly shrinking dry area of the attic, and then set up a group to bail-out the flat using a set of teaspoons, then I think you would be judged to have failed.

Depends on who's doing the judging. In the land of the drowned the half-dry man is King.

OWEJONESWATCH:

Gemma Tumelty@gemmatumelty

#Bristol West young members, get in touch if you would like to join me and @owenjones84 for politics and pizza on 21 June. #GT4BW

https://twitter.com/gemmatumelty/status/212582620125597697

GT is setting her sights on becoming the Labour PPC for Bristol West:

Wikipedia...

Gemma Tumelty (born 20 October 1980, Somerset) was the President of the National Union of Students of the United Kingdom (NUS) until 2008. She was the NUS National Secretary for 2005 to 2006, and a member of its National Executive Committee for two years before that.

Her extensive real life experience, as detailed on her website:

I have a breadth of experience from my time at NUS from hosting bi-lateral talks with the Secretary of State, sitting on Ministerial Standing Groups and being grilled by Select Committees to speaking in front of tens of thousands of people at rallies (including against tuition fees and opposing the Iraq war) and appearing on national and local media outlets.

I built on my experience of Westminster, Whitehall and the media as a Press and Parliamentary Officer for Million+ - a university think-tank with 28 subscribing university members, carrying out lobbying and campaigning work and producing research reports and evidence to influence higher education policy.

Whilst at Million+, I lobbied successfully to change legislation for our members. I devised and implemented parliamentary and campaigns strategies on university research funding allocation, which won significant concessions for member universities. The role further sharpened my knowledge of the intricacies of parliamentary procedure and practice.

This stood me in good stead in my current role as a Campaigns Officer for the TUC and the role I have recently played in the campaign against the Health and Social Care Bill. Working with the Labour Party, health unions and other campaigning organisations, I helped to co-ordinate a campaign that won concessions on the Bill in the House of Lords around the role of the Secretary of State and the cap on private patient income. This is by no means the success that we needed to truly protect the NHS but we managed to make some changes as well as hugely raise the profile of the issue and win over public opinion.

At the TUC I lead on organising large, cross-union campaigns and events. Over the last year I have worked on the organisation of the 500,000 strong March for the Alternative, organised actions on public sector pensions and the Save our NHS rally in Westminster. I am currently working on a campaign to defend employment rights and a campaign with rail unions to defend and extend our rail services to deliver for people not profit that directly relates to the lives of people in Bristol and the future prosperity of the City.

The British TUC employees numerous economists and policy officers as do most TUs of any size.

Class is a case of Unite farming some of it's policy functions out, partly to give it the veneer of independence partly to carve out the not sympathetic to Lenin MacClusky policy officers, and partly to help their overtures to the PCS.

Back
Top Bottom