Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

Watched an interesting documentary about the Oklahoma City bombing by Timothy Mcveigh which lead me on to watching the American Anarchist documentary about/with William Powell who wrote the Anarchist Cook book. Unexpectedly compelling viewing, came away feeling quite sorry for him. He had a moment of rage at his world and the world around him and wrote it down but instead of everything playing by the rules and it being shed by him along with all the other vestiges of his 19 year old self it became forever available online and is still wreaking havoc.

Luther. I suspect a superfluous recommendation to most of you, as we seem to be the only people in the land who haven’t watched it yet. But we finally decided to give it a go, and the first two series have been very good. Starting s3 now.

We watched it last year. It's really solid. New series was decent too.

Just watched The Bundy Tapes.

I'm not sure how well it was covered in the media here. I'm always surprised by things that happened in my lifetime that I missed in the news. I was probably out raving while he was in the chair.

Astounding what he was able to get away with, not just the murders but in the courtroom.

Decided to give Titans a go, up to episode 6 and very pleasantly surprised.

Fun characters, well choreographed fight scenes and the general "Fuck Batman" attitude is refreshing and hard-hitting at times.

Bonus points for a cooking scene set to Thunderstruck.

Decided to give Titans a go, up to episode 6 and very pleasantly surprised.

Fun characters, well choreographed fight scenes and the general "Fuck Batman" attitude is refreshing and hard-hitting at times.

Bonus points for a cooking scene set to Thunderstruck.
Eps 5/6/7/8/9 were the best for me, enjoy :)

Also...please check online sites (or Amazon for first 3 seasons) for Teen Titans Go! which is aimed at kids but is a superior product.

Call My Agent (Dix Pour Cent in the original French). Very funny and well written series about a French talent agency. Every episode features a real French star. Isabelle Adjani is in one which blew me away!

Watched the first two episodes of Titans, not especially impressed so far, but as I'm told it gets better I'll persevere.

Just watched The Bundy Tapes.

I'm not sure how well it was covered in the media here. I'm always surprised by things that happened in my lifetime that I missed in the news. I was probably out raving while he was in the chair.

Astounding what he was able to get away with, not just the murders but in the courtroom.
Me too! An amazing story. I thought I mostly knew about Ted Bundy but I most certainly did not. The escapes and the courtroom stuff is all incredible.

I am amazed that it was 1989 before he was finally executed as well. I thought it was all done and dusted in the early 70s.

Watched an interesting documentary about the Oklahoma City bombing by Timothy Mcveigh which lead me on to watching the American Anarchist documentary about/with William Powell who wrote the Anarchist Cook book. Unexpectedly compelling viewing, came away feeling quite sorry for him. He had a moment of rage at his world and the world around him and wrote it down but instead of everything playing by the rules and it being shed by him along with all the other vestiges of his 19 year old self it became forever available online and is still wreaking havoc.
Watched these 2 last night on your recommendation. Both very interesting.

I felt a bit sorry for Powell too as the questioning got very tough and I don't really think it's fair to apportion blame to him for all those events.

Mind you, I didn't feel that sorry for him as he looks like he's done pretty well for himself - sitting in his massive house in France :D

New to Luther here & a enjoyable watch.

I watched new season Frankie & Grace where they say Fuck it a lot.

Next is the Fyre Festival doc.

I binge watched the whole of Murder Mountain last night, interesting if a bit too long and the constant text on screen was irritating as I was trying to do other stuff at the same time so I kept missing it, and when I did see it I couldn't really read it because it was white.... So I'm not sure if I got the whole story but I watched it all.

Just watched Roma. What a beautiful film.

The tracking shot on the beach as astounding and surely one of the best one shot takes in film history. Would like to see the behind the scenes of that shot.

Just watched Roma. What a beautiful film.

The tracking shot on the beach as astounding and surely one of the best one shot takes in film history. Would like to see the behind the scenes of that shot.
It was the one in the woods with the weird family bbq/shoot that got me

It's like a realistic Mary Poppins set in Mexico in the 70s. I'm sure there's a less glib way of describing it though.
I now feel bad about saying that. It's a serious autobiographical film about a family in Mexico and i should not have minimalised the experiences of the central character, a Mixtec woman employed by an upper middle class family that has split after the father leaves, all of this happening while some serious political repression is happening in the background. So not really like Mary Poppins at all. She may be a magical nanny who saves the children and the family, but the comparison ends there.

Back
Top Bottom